Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:59 AM

9 posts, read 26,063 times

Advertisements

Here is a map of where I would prefer to live based solely off of commute time (20 minute commute with no traffic--And I work strange hours so I would rarely be driving during rush hour)...

I've visited South Elgin, Saint Charles, and Geneva, and have a pretty good idea of what those areas look like. I didn't have time to learn much about any of the other areas.

So, if you were me, which of these suburbs would you choose?
Here's a little more info to help:

Parents, both pushing 40, like to walk/hike/dine
Kids: 10 & 11, both into sports.
House: Under $360K, preferred old, but only mature trees are required.
Politically moderate, slightly left

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:45 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Pretty oddly shape "radius" that looks to be centered on roughly on the intersection of Rt 20 & Randall -- not exactly a "no-man's land" of employment, but really NOT as 'central' as stuff closer to the big facilities of AT&T, Sears, or others in Hoffman Estates and certainly nothing like the huge number of employers in Schaumburg...

I think that you will be wise to stick to Geneva if you can afford it and are comfortable that that really puts you only 20 minutes away (lots of retail centers and stop lights slow traffic on Randall...).

Budget is probably do-able, though your money won't get you a real in-town gem. The alternative of living in an area further west is that you get much more rural and then the time to get kids to activities goes up dramatically...

Old 04-20-2010, 01:04 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times
West Dundee, Sleepy Hollow, and South Elgin are all good areas with good schools.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Pretty oddly shape "radius" that looks to be centered on roughly on the intersection of Rt 20 & Randall
Yep, that's pretty much the center... The shape is based off of roads and the speeds you can do on them... notice you can get further west than east. It was determined from Microsoft Streets and Trips.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I suspected so. Nothing wrong with that, just keep in mind that once you get further west than the traditional "commuter railroad" accessible town you have a different pattern of development. Town centers if they exist are based on some long ago farm layout, tract developers still are buying the large parcels and they do not put in the mature trees. Housing that is "older" may be along what are now pretty busy thoroughfares and not the kind of grid of in-town St. Charles, Geneva, or other areas...

Old 04-20-2010, 02:34 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
Hands Down St. Charles or Geneva. Those are the best you can get for what you want in that area and they are pretty nice.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:12 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
There is also a quite significant difference in lifestyle across the area inside your odd-shaped box. Some of the western parts of the box are rural, while along and east of the river is pretty uniformly suburban. It many narrow down your search to figure out what you would want out of life at this time and what you would want for your kids. None of the suburbs in the box will have an urban feel, but if you want to be in a "walkable" town than hands down St. Charles/ Geneva.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Hands Down St. Charles or Geneva. Those are the best you can get for what you want in that area and they are pretty nice.
I agree that they are pretty nice. I'm sure we would be really happy there. I was just wondering if there were other areas I was not aware of. Even "funky" burbs can have some hidden gem areas in them. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:28 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCShane View Post
I agree that they are pretty nice. I'm sure we would be really happy there. I was just wondering if there were other areas I was not aware of. Even "funky" burbs can have some hidden gem areas in them. Thanks for your help!
Of course there are plenty of nice suburbs in the area that you have laid out, I just believe those two to be the best. And there are some suburbs that as a whole aren't nice but do have nice pockets, although I tend to recommend places where the whole city is nice if possible.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,652 times
if your kids like sports, dont do elgin or streamwood. their teams suck. i think bartlett or south elgin would be a good pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs