Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times

Advertisements

I know St. Charles and Geneva very well. Both are lovely, but my nod goes to Geneva for a few reasons. Its a bit less congested for some unknown reason. It has a Metra stop and the downtown is better, lots more shopping. St. Charles is trying desperately to keep up, but just cant quite match Geneva's charm. Geneva is also safer, there just simply isnt a bad spot in town, unlike St. Charles which has a few apartment complexes that are a little questionable. St. Charles has better parks, though. Places like Pottawatomie Park and Riverfront are nice, and Langum Park is wide open. There is also Ferson Creek and Leroy Oaks Forest Preserve, which have good hiking. Right outside St. Charles is also Campton Trails Forest Preserve, which has good hiking, too. Both cities are chock full of shopping of all kinds, but Geneva's is better, with the quaint downtown shops and bustling Geneva Commons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Apparently St. Charles has a heroin problem for some odd reason. I'm not joking.

Trashed: The death of Michael York and how heroin has invaded the Chicago suburbs - Chicago magazine - November 2009 - Chicago

Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
why am i not surprised?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:10 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
I cant think of a reason why anyone would not want to live in any of the places listed except western springs. I'm not framiliar with there so I donno, but if its in the nexus of suburbia, I'm sure its okay.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 PM

33 posts, read 69,722 times
Hello Doglover5,
I just had to put my 2 cents in for St. Charles where I have lived for 16 years. Since you mentioned having a nice downtown, I have to tell you that I fell in love with this community because of the quaint downtown area where the Fox River runs through the middle of town. It is truly picturesque with many 19th century buildings lining the main street including the beautifully renovated Baker Hotel right on the river. There are several wonderful and diverse restaurants all within walking distance to the downtown area. The local festivals are also a great plus including the Scarecrow festival in the fall.

St Charles is in the midst of the First Street redevelopment which is a revamping of the downtown area adding some new buildings; retail, residential & commercial, some parking, road improvements, walkways & parks and more.
I am sure you can find photos on the web so you can see details of the downtown area like the Baker Hotel, Pottawatomie Park and the other vintage buildings. Try this site: St. Charles, Illinois - St. Charles Community Resources
Since you are a dog lover...there is a great dog park along the river north of town on Route 31 near the St. Charles North high school.
I am also partial to Geneva & Batavia for many of the same reasons, although aesthetically, I think the downtown area of St. Charles is more appealing.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 AM

7 posts, read 21,142 times
I too grew up in the St Charles/Geneva area. You can't go wrong with either of these towns. I personally wouldn't want to move back there because of the overabundance of soccer moms and just how snobby and rude the people are there. That is just my personal preference though.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa12 View Post
I too grew up in the St Charles/Geneva area. You can't go wrong with either of these towns. I personally wouldn't want to move back there because of the overabundance of soccer moms and just how snobby and rude the people are there. That is just my personal preference though.
No problems with the heroin though?

I'm sure this is overblown by the police and reporters. But it's just amusing to hear St. Charles, Geneva, and Batavia mentioned as heroin hotspots in a major media source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs