Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,943 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know what's involved with building an addition to the house with minimal costs.

There are companies out there who provide their own architects and handle everything from start to finish, and would cost around 120-135K.

However, there is one individual who has a crew and builds additions for around 70-90K, saving a chunk of change.

The issue with this individual is that he is not licensed or insured, however, I'm told that I can purchase a builder's risk policy as a homeowner. I've see this guy's work and feel confident about the quality.

My question is this - have any of you build additions? Pros and Cons?

How did you handle insurance or any tips you can give me to cover my back when venturing into the building/remodeling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
You would be utterly insane to attempt to have any major addition done by a guy that is not licensed and insured. Odds are the reasons that he does not carry insurance and has not applied to the State of Illinois is becuase he is not qualified to hold an appropriate license. The State of Illinois does NOT license "General Contractors" or "Remodelers" as many states do, however if you are building NEW space that space is going to need a ROOF and THEY DO license roofers. Further to get permits you need to have plans approved by the local authorities and they generally WILL NOT approve plans drawn up by some one that is NOT either a Licensed Architect OR a firm that is a Licensed Design Firm -- http://www.idfpr.com/dpr/apply/forms/f1419lt.pdf (broken link)

It is not just about "quality" it is about timeliness and warranties and responsibility. I have experience with lots of guys that really know their stuff when it comes to carpentry or electrical or plumbing, but getting ONE responsible General Contractor to coordinate all the subs AND provide oversight as well as a single point of contact to remedy any problems costs time and money. The very best GCs will be insured and will have a relationship with the appropriately licensed firms they need. The guys (often from the old country...) that do not follow that model will take longer to get the work done and cannot be relied on to "make sure everything is done right" by the subs.

As far as COSTS I know, from personal experience, that there are DOZENS of fully licensed and insured firms throughout the region that have MUCH more competitive pricing than the places that advertise their "soup to nuts" type services. Many of the firms that are more low key will be glad to work with you to get the best values on materials, while the "soup to nuts" type firms typically like to use their own suppliers to be able to stick to a very tight schedule, and the added costs of the in-house delivery and other overhead are passed on to the customer...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I'd like to know what's involved with building an addition to the house with minimal costs.

There are companies out there who provide their own architects and handle everything from start to finish, and would cost around 120-135K.

However, there is one individual who has a crew and builds additions for around 70-90K, saving a chunk of change.

The issue with this individual is that he is not licensed or insured, however, I'm told that I can purchase a builder's risk policy as a homeowner. I've see this guy's work and feel confident about the quality.

My question is this - have any of you build additions? Pros and Cons?

How did you handle insurance or any tips you can give me to cover my back when venturing into the building/remodeling?
Yikes, I would keep shopping around estimates if I were you. No way would I recommend having any uninsured contractors do work on your home... the risks are too great. They could up and leave mid-project and leave you SOL, and no contractor wants to touch a job that another contractor started. They could get injured on the job and sue you, the homeowner. There are just too many risks to warrant the cost savings.

If you want to limit the costs, look into being your own contractor. Have an architect draw up your plans and hire out the work. This takes a good amount of time, work, and patience on your part, but you stand to save a bundle at the end.

Also, depending on your town ordinances and permits, they most likely will require proof of insurance by any contractor doing work on your home.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 AM

720 posts, read 3,007,401 times
Default dont work with anyone uninsured

Don't work with anyone uninsured. Thats a smart policy to have even on a small project but an addition could put the entire structure of your home at risk if not done correctly and to do this with someone who is not insured would not be smart.

I too am always out to save a buck but any reputable contractor will have insurance.

I recently found a guy who did some work for me at a very reasonable price, dirt cheap actually but he was licensed bonded and insured. If your willing to work around his schedule and wait til he's slow to start your work you'll get the best deal. Theres some contractors who would rather go to the bar and nt work than to work for under their ridiculously high prices but ths guys a good guy says he'd rather be working for a days wages than nothing at all so sometiem he may even work hourly just for a days worth of work. If you want pm me. I can show you pics of his work as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs