Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,780 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Chicago soon and we would like to rent a nice apartment or house at Naperville or Oak Park. Close to metra or train is key. Any suggestions or information will be greatly appreciated!!! Would also be happy if anyone can recommend a good broker. Thanks a lot!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,401 times
Default naper or oak park

This totally depends on what your looking. Both are on the top of the list in terms of desirable communities but for completely different reasons.

People who live in Oak Park would probably hate living in Naperville and people in Naperville would probably hate living in Oak Park.

The long and short of it is Naperville is further out from the city, great schools, very safe, some may say cookie cutter but basically very suburban. Its a great place, nice downtown section with nightlife, shopping, things for kids and families. Schools are awesome, libraries are great, good park services, etc.

Oak Park is also one of the most desirable places as well but it's more diverse,it surrounds some rougher areas so if you have kids that's something to keep in mind. Some things from neighboring communities kind of spill over into oak park sometimes it seems. Oak Park has tons of culture, lots to do, closer to the city, etc. Oak Park is very liberal too.

My personal pick would be Naperville but if your looking for more city feel, more going on, more diverse etc Oak Park is the way to go, if you want a more suburban feel Naperville. My personal pick would be naperville.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:07 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Old vs New? OP is well established with mature old tress and the largest collection of
Frank Lloyd Wright houses in America. Papa Hemmingway lived there too. The non-profit OP housing center does a pretty good job of helping newcomers get settled and tramsportation is convenient. Here'a couple of links:

Oak Park Tourist - Touring, Living and Working in Oak Park, Illinois

Click on Sample Apartments for a virtual tour that includes square footage and prices. Click on a red ball to see a view of that particular room.
Oak Park Regional Housing Center

Old 03-31-2010, 08:11 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
It seems to me that if Naperville and Oak Park are both acceptable to you, there may be dozens of other options too since these towns are very different. What has attracted you to these two options? Word of mouth? If you're just looking for upper-middle class Western Suburbs with vibrant downtowns and Metra access, I would also suggest looking into towns like La Grange, Hinsdale, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, and Glen Ellyn. But I think we could better help you if we knew more about what you were looking for.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 AM

Many thanks! yes, I am looking for upper-middle class western suburbs, or somewhere in North part such as Willmette. But close to metra or CTA, like in walking distance. Any good apartments?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:23 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdia View Post
Many thanks! yes, I am looking for upper-middle class western suburbs, or somewhere in North part such as Willmette. But close to metra or CTA, like in walking distance. Any good apartments?
You've basically narrowed down your search to about 80 different suburbs. More specifics please.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I would also suggest looking into towns like La Grange, Hinsdale, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, and Glen Ellyn.
These have the same basic "vibe" as Naperville so they'd be good to cross-compare. All have Metra access and similar downtowns. It would be like choosing between a Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan -- go to the dealers and buy the one that offers the best deal. In this case, I'd go visit each of these and grab an "Apartment Finder" guide at a local supermarket to see what the rental rates are like for apartments close to the Metra.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:18 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
If you're looking north or northwest, look into Evanston, Wilmette, Highland Park, Park Ridge, and Arlington Heights. Once again, they are all upper-middle class, have nice downtown areas, and metra stations. Evanston is diverse like Oak Park and has a few rough areas. And Highland Park and Wilmette are definitely getting closer to the "upper class" side of "upper-middle class". Arlington Heights is probably the most affordable of the towns I listed.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 PM

Default wilmette,hinsdale

Thanks for your helpful information!
I am narrowing down what I am look for. Since I will be working in downtown(NWH), I want to move to wilmette or hinsdale.
I have a family with two kids, So anybody can recommand a condo or townhouse or a nice broker to me? Thanks.
BTW, the key is close to the metra or CTA train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs