Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,596 times

Advertisements

My Familey is moving to the Chicago area. We have a grade school child with austisem my work is in Schaumburg but I am will do drive almost any distance to insure my child can recieve the services she requires.
Is there anyone out there that might have school district insight.
Any help no matter how small is more then we have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 04:27 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
I have several co-workers in the same situation -- all have gone to (and swear by) Naperville.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:44 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Check out Barrington School Dist. as well.(220) My kids have all had special needs children in school and I was always touched with the amount of attention and support those children recieved. Would be worth a look.
Barrington is a very reasonable/easy commute to S'burg as well.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:03 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
The LaGrange Area of Department of Special Education (LADSE) works in conjunction with our school district and several neighboring school districts to provide services for children such as your child. Their website is The LaGrange Area Department of Special Education

I've known several employees at LADSE professionally and also had experience with them as a parent as well, and I can say that their services are excellent. The therapists are extremely well qualified and come highly rated. Services are all done and coordinated through the school districts, so there is no cost to the families. Actually, I myself am a graduate of LADSE. I went to through their preschool program (okay this was back in the mid '70's), but the student to teacher ratio was 3:1 and they were all master's degree'd professionals.

Like I said, LADSE services several neighboring school districts, all within Lyons Township I believe. I would think that they would be an excellent resource for a parent of a child with autism. Best of luck to you.

ETA: They have a specific program for children with autism called The Communication Development Network:
Quote:
The CD classrooms provide intensive educational and therapeutic supports within a clinical model for students three to fourteen years of age. A student is enrolled for a portion of the school day in a CD program site where staff focus on the development of communication, social skills, and positive behavior. For the remainder of the day, the student receives services in his/her home school in a general education or early childhood classroom. Team collaboration supports curricular adaptations and generalization of skills across educational and home settings.

Communication Development classes offer an eclectic approach to educating students with ASD. Components include but are not limited to Discrete trial, TEACCH methods, Heartland approach, Greenspan Floor Time, and augmentative communication systems.
Wow, I didn't realize that LADSE serviced this large a range of school districts, but here is the list:

53 (http://www.butler53.com/tabid/57/Default.aspx - broken link) Butler (http://www.butler53.com/tabid/57/Default.aspx - broken link) 61 Darien 62 Gower 92 1/2 Westchester 94 Komarek 95 Brookfield-LaGrange Park 96 Riverside 101 (http://learn.d101.org/spaces/space.php?space_key=9 - broken link) Western Springs (http://learn.d101.org/spaces/space.php?space_key=9 - broken link) 102 LaGrange North 103 Lyons 105 LaGrange South 106 LaGrange Highlands 107 Pleasantdale 181 Hinsdale 86 Hinsdale Township High School 204 Lyons Township High School 208 Riverside-Brookfield High School

Old 04-01-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The LaGrange Area of Department of Special Education (LADSE) works in conjunction with our school district and several neighboring school districts to provide services for children such as your child. Their website is The LaGrange Area Department of Special Education

I've known several employees at LADSE professionally and also had experience with them as a parent as well, and I can say that their services are excellent. The therapists are extremely well qualified and come highly rated. Services are all done and coordinated through the school districts, so there is no cost to the families. Actually, I myself am a graduate of LADSE. I went to through their preschool program (okay this was back in the mid '70's), but the student to teacher ratio was 3:1 and they were all master's degree'd professionals.

Like I said, LADSE services several neighboring school districts, all within Lyons Township I believe. I would think that they would be an excellent resource for a parent of a child with autism. Best of luck to you.

ETA: They have a specific program for children with autism called The Communication Development Network:

Wow, I didn't realize that LADSE serviced this large a range of school districts, but here is the list:

53 (http://www.butler53.com/tabid/57/Default.aspx - broken link) Butler (http://www.butler53.com/tabid/57/Default.aspx - broken link) 61 Darien 62 Gower 92 1/2 Westchester 94 Komarek 95 Brookfield-LaGrange Park 96 Riverside 101 (http://learn.d101.org/spaces/space.php?space_key=9 - broken link) Western Springs (http://learn.d101.org/spaces/space.php?space_key=9 - broken link) 102 LaGrange North 103 Lyons 105 LaGrange South 106 LaGrange Highlands 107 Pleasantdale 181 Hinsdale 86 Hinsdale Township High School 204 Lyons Township High School 208 Riverside-Brookfield High School
As the OP mentioned, the job is in Shaumburg, LaGrange area is not a reasonable option for a sane commute.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:31 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
As the OP mentioned, the job is in Shaumburg, LaGrange area is not a reasonable option for a sane commute.
I guess you failed to read the OP where s/he also stated "my work is in Schaumburg but I am will do drive almost any distance to insure my child can recieve the services she requires".

You apparently also failed to read the large range of school districts LADSE covers, including:

Mapquest info from Oak Brook to Schaumburg: Total Travel Estimate: 31 minutes / 21.14 miles

Darien: Total Travel Estimate: 41 minutes / 26.89 miles

Westchester:
Total Travel Estimate: 32 minutes / 21.18 miles

Willowbrook:
Total Travel Estimate: 36 minutes / 24.81 miles

Hinsdale:
Total Travel Estimate: 35 minutes / 22.71 miles

Western Springs:
Total Travel Estimate: 35 minutes / 23.50 miles

I have done the commute from Western Springs to Schaumburg before, and it is very tolerable at under half hour. Traffic typically moves from the North to the South in the am and the opposite in the pm. S/he would be traveling in the opposite direction of traffic. I'm not sure what you consider to be a 'reasonable option for a sane commute',... under 10 minutes?? Not to mention, commute time was specifically stated as NOT the OP's priority, services for his/her child is.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 AM

Well, do excuse me then. Sorry to bunch up your panties.
You continue to have a nice day.

Last edited by nanannie; 04-01-2010 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 AM

947 posts, read 2,422,375 times
I too, am going to post a district that does an outstanding job but is not near Schaumburg with the hopes that anyone who reads this who is struggling with an autistic child may benefit.
My grandson is autistic, and is really shining due to the Palos Hts. School District. They do a 1 on 1 program in the afternoons that has helped him progress 2 years in the last 6 months.

I totally understand the frustration and anguish parents and family of autistic children endure to help their kids. God bless you, honey. Also Easter Seals is great for preschool intervention.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I have several co-workers in the same situation -- all have gone to (and swear by) Naperville.
My daughter is autistic, and we absolutely love District 203 in Naperville. That's not close to Schaumburg, though. I know you said commute time isn't a factor, but a grinding commute can really wear on a person and it takes time away from the family. I do recommend Naperville, but only if you cannot find somewhere closer to your office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs