Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,165 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm moving to Chicago to take a job in the Glenview area. I am considering buying a house in Gurnee. Can anyone tell me what the commute is like between Gurnee and Glenview? I haven't had a chance to drive it myself yet, and I want to get a realistic idea with traffic.

Also, any suggestions about other communities to consider with housing prices similar to Gurnee would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 02:14 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,732,327 times
Chicago has two seasons: winter and construction. During rush hour absent snow, expect a commute time of an hour as you will have to travel south on I-94. Going home is probably going to be worse than travelling to work. The thing to remember is that people in Chicagoland make far worse commutes, so comparatively, this may not be horrible.

Chicago housing prices vary greatly both suburb to suburb and within suburbs, though more of the latter. I know Gurnee has homes priced from the high 200Ks to the low 600Ks so it varies that much. Assuming you are in the middle of that range, Libertville, Vernon Hills, and Mundelein, though the commute times won't be shaved more than 10-15 minutes.

With the Gurnee price range, the closest you can probably get to that range near Glenview is south of Glenview in Morton Grove or Des Plaines. Check on the schools, a lot of the forum posters have a lot of information on high school comparisons.

Your search will broaden if you opt for a townhouse as opposed to single family as well.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM

13,006 posts, read 18,935,259 times
Grayslake, and maybe Libertyville are about comparable, though without the mall. And you can take the train to Glenview, about 40 minutes (monthly cost $128.25) Or you can go to someplace extremely close, such as Northbrook, Des Plaines or Morton Grove. Golf is closer still, but rather expensive, and homes there don't come up for sale often.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
chitown85 makes some excellent points -- the distance from Gurnee to Glenview is probably greater than 25 miles and there are really only a couple routes -- the TriState Tollway, Rt 41 on the east edge and Milwaukee Ave on the west edge, none of those can be expected to be particularly fast in even ideal conditions. If your price range range includes anything near the upper range of Gurnee inventory you could almost certainly do better in a town closer to where you work. If your price range is toward lower part of the range you might give up some of the newness that you might get, but without knowing how important schools and other amenities are to you it is hard to make suggestions of appropriate trade-offs...

Old 04-07-2010, 04:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,694,158 times
Vernon Hills? A bit closer, similar pricing, better high school, still have the shopping amenities.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:37 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,732,327 times
The problem with Vernon Hills/Mundelein is if you live on the western side of either village, the commute to Milwaukee Avenue and then on Milwaukee is nightmarish, especially at night going north. If the OP chooses Vernon Hills, which has a great high school and amenities, he should look on the eastern edge of the village. Libertyville is probably too expensive and wouldn't save a lot of commute time.

If I had to choose between Gurnee and Morton Grove, and Des Plaines, I would choose Morton Grove first, then Des Plaines, then Gurnee based on proximity to Glenview, the schools, and lower taxes.

The other problem with Gurnee is Six Flags. In the summertime, the commute up 41 or 94 is hellish. I knew someone that worked in Northbrook and lived in Lindenhurst and he complained about that constantly.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,280,940 times
Parts of Arlington Heights, Mt. Prospect would be about 20-35 minute commute to Glenview. I would also look into Glenview. Then again, I am biased towards older neighborhoods with mature trees, good schools, libraries and parks and will pick a smaller home to achieve this. You can find homes under 350K. Not as large or spiffy as Gurnee, but I like the established infrastructure and the schools better. In Arlington Heights and Mt Prospect, I like what I hear and read about districts 25 & 57. Our experiences with District 23 have been excellent. Hersey and Prospect HS are very good. In Glenview, District 34? and Glenbrook HS's are highly regarded.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:56 PM

10 posts, read 36,170 times
Check out the Arbor Vista subdivision in Grayslake - less than 1/2 mile to Prairie Crossing Metra (both Chicago and O'Hare lines). Mature trees, large homes, acre lots. (Gurnee school district)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs