U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:39 PM

39 posts, read 86,724 times

Advertisements

I just found this online, any comments?

Best Place to Raise Your Kids: Illinois

Tinley Park Nearest city: Chicago
Population: 54,491
Median family income: $90,377
Runners-up: Arlington Heights, Schaumburg

Tinley Park, a fast-developing southwestern suburb of Chicago, is this year's Best Place to Raise Your Kids—not just for Illinois, but for the nation as a whole. It has great schools, a vibrant downtown, and housing options that range from modest to luxurious. Oak Park Avenue, which serves as a Main Street shopping area, includes a beautiful town square where residents gather and children ride bicycles. Tinley Park also has a 28,000-seat outdoor concert amphitheater, one of the largest in the Chicago area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:44 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,413,141 times
Haven't spent much time in Tinley Park, or any of the SW burbs for that matter, but it does remind me of the Arlington Heights of the SW burbs. Tinley seems to have a good mix of all income levels, but primary emphasis on middle and upper middle class. Also not far from the city, but with a good suburban downtown of its own.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:40 PM

1,966 posts, read 5,671,600 times
no way. it is borders against total cesspools to the north and east. It will "turn" in five years. the whole community should be carpet bombed along with the rest of the south suburbs. A barrier should then be built in its place to keep the element from penetrating Orland Park. In fact, I've seen too many ghetto thugs at the Orland Mall recently. Might be too late.

Just felt like having some fun.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:04 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,804,042 times
I would disagree very much with Tinley Park, but would advocate for Arlington Heights. ----- I was a facility manager for one of TPs more prestigous recreation areas and let me tell you, it had some real seedy, thuggish-ruggish people, with a very consistent flow of crime.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 PM

I found Tinley Park itself to be quite nice. I think it can be compared to Arlington Heights. Arlington Heights is near Prospect Heights, Mount Prospect, and parts of Wheeling which aren't very nice.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:44 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,829,681 times
I'm putting Wheeling and Prospect Heights far above Harvey, Thornton, Chicago Heights etc...

Old 04-13-2010, 04:49 PM

5,479 posts, read 11,274,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I found Tinley Park itself to be quite nice. I think it can be compared to Arlington Heights. Arlington Heights is near Prospect Heights, Mount Prospect, and parts of Wheeling which aren't very nice.
Arlington Heights is older and has more neighborhoods with larger, mature trees than TP. Downtown and 2 mile radius around is also different.
Are you saying parts of Wheeling aren't very nice or parts of Prospect Hts, Mt Prospect and Wheeling aren't nice or AH is near parts of all 3 that aren't very nice?
I live about 1.5 miles from Wheeling HS and where I am is VERY nice. The neighborhoods in Wheeling, Prospect Hts and Mt. Prospect that I am near range from decent to VERY nice

Old 04-13-2010, 07:00 PM

Parts of Prospect Heights, Mt. Prospect, and Wheeling are not nice. Parts of Wheeling are also very nice (grew up there). What I mean is that just because a suburb like Arlington Heights and Tinley Park are tidy and well kept, doesn't mean that individuals from less well off suburbs can't go there to eat, shop, and do whatever. I wouldn't judge a suburb just by the people in a shopping mall in Tinley.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 73,227,216 times
No suburbs can compete with Naperville for kid-friendliness. Sorry, I know theres a buttload of haters out there who'd disagree, but I dont see any other suburb that can touch Naperville's quality and quantity of kid-friendly attractions.

Between its best-in-nation, award winning libraries, the swimming quarry, tons of restaurants and shopping, childrens museums, riverwalk, sledding hills, arcades, popcorn and candy stores, and widely-known festivals, etc, etc, Naperville is king.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 PM

1,966 posts, read 5,671,600 times
I don't think anyone is contending that head to head Tinley Park is superior to Naperville for raising kids. The survey (if I recall -- read it a few days ago) factored in cost. Naperville is extremely nice and pretty expensive. Tinley is pretty nice and pretty cheap. So, Tinely won.

I actually kind of like Tinley (a little). It is a little rustic and a little quaint in spots. It's certainly nowhere close to Naperville but it's a lot better than it sounds. Not thuggish at all (please).

I still think Naperville is kind of nouveau middle to upper middle class cheesy. Steve-o is correct about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs