Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 01:34 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Wal-Mart, you can't come here becasue you don't pay living wage. What's that, Umm no we don't actually have other large retailers banging on our doors to open stores in these areas. Why do we insist on telling you what to pay? Becasue were Chicago- so we're special. If we don't do this the Unions will get mad and stop my pocket money, err I mean campaign contributions from coming in. Well I know it would help the residences to have low prices and consistent quality compared to the corner "stop-n-rob". But you gotta pay that living wage. Oh, you mean you can find an adjacent suburb willing to let you run your business nearby? Oh, still NO. Gotta protect the unions err, I mean pay living wages.

End rant- sorry for being off-topic.
Meanwhile Targets have been spreading like Wildfire through the city... And they don't pay a living wage either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 01:39 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,319 times
Ugh. There are so many Michigan license plates driving around the Northern Suburbs lately. I cannot figure out if they are Northwestern folks or people moving here for employment.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,478 times
Honestly I dont know when the economy will get better in Michigan, its in like a 10 year recession.. I just wanted to get people's opinions in Illinois about when the economy would turn around there, since its close to Michigan and Chicago is alot more interesting then Detroit.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Almost certainly, when the economy comes back it will be stronger in Illinois than in Michigan. But Illinois is still likely to lag the nation. Some economists say the economy is already coming back, but as you know; if all the economists in the world were placed end to end, they still wouldn't reach a conclusion.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:57 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Actually the State ranks about No. 30 in taxes, meaning there are 29 States with higher taxes. Even the cigarette tax, the only politically correct tariff, is slightly lower. But the corruption factor combined with the general paralysis of State government is not good for anyone. Our recently ousted Governor is awaiting trial, the one before him is already behind bars. And even Wal-marts attempt to expand in the City has been stymied by opposition.

Thanks for posting this! There are a whole lot of people out there that have no idea that we don't have it that bad in terms of tax burden in IL compared to other states. Now if we could just getting back our fair share of what we send to D.C!!

Old 04-19-2010, 05:39 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Getting back our fair share of what we send to D.C.? Congressional clout depends on seniority. Our State turns over its Reps and Senators too frequently. Only 18 years ago, Alan Dixon was defeated by Carol Mosely-Braun, who was later defeated by Peter Fitzgerald. He retired and was replace by the man who is now President. Roland Burris, appointed to fill the seat, did not stand for election. That is six occupants of that seat in 20 years. House seats have also turned over more frequently. We need to stop this game of musical chairs.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 AM

37 posts, read 82,032 times
Move to Chicago. It's better then Illinios and Michigan put together! =)

Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Getting back our fair share of what we send to D.C.? Congressional clout depends on seniority. Our State turns over its Reps and Senators too frequently. Only 18 years ago, Alan Dixon was defeated by Carol Mosely-Braun, who was later defeated by Peter Fitzgerald. He retired and was replace by the man who is now President. Roland Burris, appointed to fill the seat, did not stand for election. That is six occupants of that seat in 20 years. House seats have also turned over more frequently. We need to stop this game of musical chairs.
Funny that we have the 2nd most powerful United States Senator, Dick Durbin. My congressman has represented my district for 10 years, and has brought back plenty of earmarks. Hastert also brought back tons of earmarks. Senator Fitzgerald opposed any and all earmark spending, just like Senator McCain.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Thanks for posting this! There are a whole lot of people out there that have no idea that we don't have it that bad in terms of tax burden in IL compared to other states. Now if we could just getting back our fair share of what we send to D.C!!

I am not sure if that analysis includes our state sales and property taxes. Our property taxes are third to New Jersey and Texas. Cook County sales tax is highest in the country. Illinois also has a high corporate tax rate, and has one of the most regressive tax structures in the United States. On top of that we have an unfavorable union environment because we are not a right to work state and we have become a hot bed for union activism.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:36 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,478 times
Well we dont plan on moving to Cook County, I'm not so worried about taxes all that much. I would rather live in Illinois then Texas, Louisiana, or Utah which I'm also now considering since their state economies are not doing so bad, since I can drive back home easily from Illinois. I'm also considering Wisconsin, or Indiana since I can also drive back home to Michigan from those states as well. We're waiting for her to find a full time music teaching job teaching vocal so we can move.. any help finding one in Illinois would be greatly apprecitated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs