Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 AM

30 posts, read 145,145 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone .

After living in St. Louis for the last 5 years, we’ll be moving to Chicago. Both of our jobs will be in Elk Grove Village. We're looking to spend 700k to 1m on a new (not used) house. Things we are looking for:

1. Relatively short commute to work
2. Safe neighborhood
3. Good school district
4. Convenient access to expressways
5. Proximity to (but not necessarily in same town) of shopping centers
6. No more than 40 mins away from downtown

Most of the places we’ve been looking so far have been in the NW suburbs: Barrington, South Barrington and Inverness. We’re considering looking at the some of the W suburbs: Burr Ridge, Oakbrook and Hinsdale. Any thoughts? I know they’re all very nice suburbs but am not sure about how they fit into what we want.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 08:18 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Arlington Heights, Palatine, Itasca or Hoffman Estates.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Arlington Heights, Palatine, Itasca or Hoffman Estates.
Thanks for your thoughts. How do they compare to Barrington and Inverness? Also, do they have new developments in the price range we're looking at?

Old 06-10-2007, 12:19 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
I would choose Barrington,by a long shot.Second,would be Arlington hts/Palatine.Sorry,not HOFF or Itas.no character,or charm

Old 06-10-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I would choose Barrington,by a long shot.Second,would be Arlington hts/Palatine.Sorry,not HOFF or Itas.no character,or charm
This is what I kinda suspected.

How about Barrington vs. Inverness?

Or Barrington vs. Hinsdale?

Other than similar property costs, how do these towns compare? Are the school districts comparable? Hinsdale appears closer to downtown, but Barrington is closer to Elk Grove.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 18,373 times
We live in Libertyville, IL which is about 20 or so miles away from Elk Grove Village and 36 miles from downtown Chicago. We live within walking distance to the Metra (train), downtown libertyville shops, restaurants, bars, Farmers Market, Starbucks, Caribou and not to mention the best schools in the area. A few minutes in the car will put you right on the expressways. The neighborhoods are a beautiful mixture of older homes, reconstructed homes and new $1 mil + homes on beautiful, mature tree-lined streets. Young Families with children are everywhere and the neighbors are helpful, kind, professional and down to earth. Many of the couples commute to their jobs in Chicago via the Metra or train. Our neighbors own a salon in Arlington Heights and commute everyday without a complaint. Whether you are 30 minutes South or 30 minutes North really just comes down to the atmosphere you prefer most. I would recommend a day trip on the weekend to all directions within 30 miles to see the different neighborhoods. We are completing our move to Florida in August and did a lease/option prior to buying. I would highly recommend this option to anyone unfamiliar to the area where they are moving.

Last edited by mdz; 06-12-2007 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 06-11-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryd View Post
We live in Libertyville, IL which is about 20 or so miles away from Elk Grove Village and 36 miles from downtown Chicago. We live within walking distance to the Metra (train), downtown libertyville shops, restaurants, bars, Farmers Market, Starbucks, Caribou and not to mention the best schools in the area. A few minutes in the car will put you right on the expressways. The neighborhoods are a beautiful mixture of older homes, reconstructed homes and new $1 mil + homes on beautiful, mature tree-lined streets. Young Families with children are everywhere and the neighbors are helpful, kind, professional and down to earth. Many of the couples commute to their jobs in Chicago via the Metra or train. Our neighbors own a salon in Arlington Heights and commute everyday without a complaint. Whether you are 30 minutes South or 30 minutes North really just comes down to the atmosphere you prefer most. I would recommend a day trip on the weekend to all directions within 30 miles to see the different neighborhoods. We are completing our move to Florida in August and did a lease/option prior to buying. I would highly recommend this option to anyone unfamiliar to the area where they are moving. If you decide to extend to your search to Libertyville let me know. You can see our home on homesinlibertyville.com. We are offering 3-4% financing for 2 years, contract for deed, lease purchase, we will even carry your second mortgage. The list of financing options are endless for this home. Best of Luck! I'm certain that you will find a great place in an area that you will love!
I know Libertyville quite well. I went to Chicago Medical School in North Chicago, and spent many an evening at Mickey Finn's. It's a great neighborhood, but alas, a bit too far away from Elk Grove for me (26 miles / 40 minutes per Mapquest). If I was taking a job further up north, Libertyville would be high on the list.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Barrington is more of a "town" then Inverness.Not much in Inverness but homes,lovely ones though and nice property-nothing wrong with it.Barrington is on the metra line to the city and has a cute village,restaraunts,shops and great schools.Close to many shopping areas and express ways. I would say Barrington has more housing choices then Inverness as it is divided into "villages" or sections ,some in different counties (Cook,McHenry,Lake),, in town=lovely older neighborhoods,"tear downs" with new homes as well..Barrinton hills=beautiful with 5 acre min,old and new estates,lots of horse property.Lake Barrington=,rolling,homes around golf courses,older and new subdivisions,and Barrington proper,a little of everything,,, very wooded and hilly. We moved here 20 years ago,have 3 kids-1 left in middle school.Great parks,park programs and sports programs.Hindsdale is a beautiful,older small town,expensive as well,not much property,but wonderful schools and beautiful neighborhoods,easy trip to Oakbrook shopping mall,zoo,metra to chicago (,not much in the line of newer sub divisions,but several "tear downs" and a tough commute to Elk Grove Village).You will probably get more for you money in Barrington then Hinsdale as there are more choices I would say,.When you visit,you will have to see which feels like home,,you have nice choices.Good luck to you and your family and welcome to Illinois

Last edited by nanannie; 06-11-2007 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-11-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Barrington is more of a "town" then Inverness.Not much in Inverness but homes,lovely ones though and nice property-nothing wrong with it.Barrington is on the metra line to the city and has a cute village,restaraunts,shops and great schools.Close to many shopping areas and express ways. I would say Barrington has more housing choices then Inverness ,, in town=lovely older neighborhoods,Barrinton hills=beautiful with 5 acre min,old and new estates,lots of horse property.Lake Barrington=,rolling,homes around golf courses,older and new subdivisions,and Barrington proper,a little of everything,,, very wooded and hilly. We have been here 20 years,3 kids.Great parks,park programs and sports programs.Hindsdale is a beautiful small town,expensive as well,not much property,but wonderful schools and neighborhoods (,tough commute to Elk Grove Village).What is your price range?
Thanks for your insightful reply. It sounds like Barrington has more to offer than Inverness.

While I have your attention, you mentioned the different Barringtons. Which one do you prefer most (Barrington proper vs. South Barrington vs. North Barrington vs. Barrington Hills vs. Lake Barrington)

Desired price range would be 700k - 1.2 mil. Actually, the commute to Elk Grove from Hinsdale is about 25-30 mins. I used to live in Burr Ridge. I frequently drove to Elk Grove; my average drive was 30 mins (Rt 83 North to 290 West to Biesterfield exit). Hinsdale and Oakbrook are even closer than Burr Ridge.

That being said, 30 mins is about the farthest I could be from Elk Grove as part of my job.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:52 PM

Then I stand corrected,I guessed it would be longer as I thought with traffic that commute would be the pits! I like the "hills' just cuz we love the privacy and beautiful,country views (for Illinois burbs) Many neighborhoods allow horses and there are some beautiful horse farms. I think it would depend on what you like in a house,yard,proximity to town etc.There are beautiful homes and 'hoods in all the villages,and the schools are all good (one high,2 middle and 4 grade schools).South Barrington can not build houses big enough,so there are many many sub divisions with homes/Hilton hotels that are bigger then the next,really getting ridiculous,not much else there but sub divisions..I really think Hinsdale is a nice place to live as well,if you find the right house.Its a beautiful suburb too.I dont think you can go wrong with either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs