Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 22,242 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I just moved from St. Louis, MO to Naperville, IL. I will be commuting from Naperville to Rush University (located on 600 S. Ashland). My first day is thursday and after some investigation I noticed taking the train will be a huge time investment. I think the trip to Rush would be train, two or three buses or two buses and then the blue line. I'm thinking about driving.

What is the traffic situation like? How long will it take me to get to Rush from Naperville if I have to get to school by 8 am? If I leave at 7 will it take 2 hours to drive? Also... how long does it usually take to get out of Chicago at around 4-5 pm? If you have any help please let me know. Is there any way to look up these type of driving statistics so I can plan my trips better?

Many Thanks!
Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 11:43 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,917 times
You can do it in a train, two buses, and a little over an hour. Take the 6:05 train from Naperville and then the #20 bus and then the #9. That's not a huge time investment compared to driving, which I would not recommend at all. It's going to take at least an hour to drive, and you'll be fighting traffic when you could be relaxing on the train.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:38 AM

Default thanks

Thanks... I was thinking two buses and a train plus driving to the train station might be a little long. You still think that will be shorter than commuting by car?

Old 06-11-2007, 06:36 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,906 times
I usually don't say this, but in your situation I think you are better off driving than taking public transportation. It will definitely be shorter. You're probably looking at an hour-75 minute drive depending where you are in naperville.

Without traffic it would be shorter, but it'll be backed up at 7 am on 290.

good luck

Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 PM

84 posts, read 428,582 times
Unfortunately, when you mention the train in Naperville you can't forget the parking situation. There is a limited amount of fee daily parking which fills up most of the time by 6:30 AM. I don't commute to downtown anymore, but when I did there were plenty of mornings where I planned my train trip perfectly only to miss out on one of the last few spots and ended up driving downtown after all. The Route 59 Metra station has more parking, but that could add time to your trip depending on where you live in Naperville.

The train could definitely be a nice break from driving, but in terms of pure time it was usually a wash.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:20 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,793 times
Have you thought about driving to forest park and boarding the blue line here. I do not know what the parking situation is around the station but it may be something to look into

Old 06-14-2007, 02:34 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,906 times
they have pay as you go spots at Forest Park, but honestly, by the time you get there you may as well just drive the extra few miles to Rush.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:17 PM

Smile taking the train

I tried both the train and driving... turns out that taking the train is not so bad afterall. You can relax instead of worrying about traffic jams and such. Thanks for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: