Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I didn't mean to be harsh about Wheeling at all. I do agree that the SFH areas are fine, while some apartment complexes are not.

What I meant by depressing I think I was referring more to some commercial areas along Dundee and 83. With the exception of restaurant row, the commercial areas of parts of Wheeling just feel dead. They just look like there hasn't been much life and vitality infused into the commercial strips. Thats all I mean by depressing. Rolling Meadows commercial strips look in better condition.
Dundee between 83 and Wheeling Rd is more blue collar. What hurts is the K-Mart closing several years ago and no replacement business or businesses. Now it's a large empty lot. And the old Wickes store is another eyesore.
Perhaps when the economy picks up Lowes, Meiers or someone else will see an opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,322 times
What are the places/areas in Elgin and Carpentersville to avoid? Any specific geographic region or neighborhood?

Speaking relatively about safety/crime rate/ gang activity.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:05 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Elgin is not nearly as bad as some people would have you believe. The most rundown section is the southeast side. I worked the 2010 US Census in that area and had very positive experiences with the residents. It was hot, people gave me bottled water and popsicles. Yes, there are a lot hispanics - ooh, scary! There are poor people - so scary. Much of Elgin, especially the further west you get, is typical middle class suburbia. AS far as gang activity, I have lived north of downtown for 15 years. I don't see graffiti, I don't see gang bangers. I have never been affected by violence, not have any of my friends. I left my car unlocked and had the stereo stolen once, that could have happened anywhere. There are some gorgeous vintage home on the northeast side. Downtown is safe, there's just not much going on that would draw people down there, though the city is trying really hard to change that.Most suburban downtowns are having some issues with vacant stores in this economy. There is an award winning, very well used library, the Hemmens which has all kinds of concerts and other events.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,322 times
Thanks a lot knitgirl, that definitely helped. I have no problem with hispanics (most of my neighbors are now) and I'm not too worried about gang activity/crime rate as I'm a younger male and keep to myself, but it seemed like a lot of people here didn't have many good things to say about the Elgin/Carpentersville area.

I have one more question for you if you don't mind, and have a good idea...

Pretty soon I will be looking for a 1 bedroom or studio apartment in the area (C'ville/Elgin/Dundees) and was wondering if you had any recommendations on nice studio or 1 BD apts in the area that are nice, or some to not waste my time with?

I don't have a real big bankroll for rent, and was looking for something ~550-700 with all utilities included (utilities don't have to be included, but this is the range I am looking for a total monthly expense for rent and utilities)... kind of tough from what I've been researching lol, as most places around the area are around 750-1000/mo.

Thanks a lot btw.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:49 PM

I am honestly not that acquainted with the apartment buildings in any of these towns. I own a 3-flat and that type of small building is my preferred type of housing. I would just suggest that you spend some time checking any buildings out and maybe talking to some of the residents. Sorry I can't be more help.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:24 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Schaumburg probably has the highest crime rate due to Woodfield, also about the worst traffic. Other than that, probably Elgin.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Scroll down a bit: //www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Illinois.html. Egin's crime rate is below the national average and is not the hellhole some people would make it out to be.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 AM

22 posts, read 32,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The neighborhood bordered by 83 Hintz and Sherwood lane is quite nice.
Hey! That's my hood!

Agree with all points - my family looked for an affordable place in the NW suburbs, and we found Wheeling to be a lot more pleasant and liveable than a lot of areas in Des Plaines, Morton Grove, or Niles, where we originally were looking.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semaj82 View Post
Hey! That's my hood!

Agree with all points - my family looked for an affordable place in the NW suburbs, and we found Wheeling to be a lot more pleasant and liveable than a lot of areas in Des Plaines, Morton Grove, or Niles, where we originally were looking.
Welcome to the area. Go check out Lake Arlington for a pleasant walk. They plow the path around the lake during winter. Parking is off Windsor. Of course the Cook Co. Forest Preserves are also close by and very pleasnat as well.

Old 06-30-2021, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,258 times
Addison road is fine, north of Rt. 20 it's house and oak Meadows golf, closer to wooddale, south of lake it's fine too mostly small single family homes, some two flats that are sometimes rented out. I on Hale st just west of Addison raid and it was very nice. The bad part that you are thinking ofbis Mill road. Mill road south of 20 crumby apartments and loud music blasting tennants , north of 20 ita fine, If you you north far enough when you get to Songbird park and further it gets very nice, then you are basically in wooddale. If you go further east on twenty there is Lincoln Avenue which goes along and behind the Green Meadows shopping center, that area is as bad or worse than Mill road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs