U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2021, 04:40 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,971,032 times

Advertisements

Tenth_degree_Shnozzberry bringing back that 10 year old thread. Nice!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 07:16 AM

3,924 posts, read 2,078,781 times
Good morning, I might, by contrast (and try to put a positive spin on the question) therefore ask:

"top 3 areas to BE DRAWN TO in nw suburbs"

... just a thought.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:42 AM

362 posts, read 228,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good morning, I might, by contrast (and try to put a positive spin on the question) therefore ask:

"top 3 areas to BE DRAWN TO in nw suburbs"

... just a thought.
Mmm, hard to say, there are a whole lot of really nice burbs nw.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:04 AM

3,924 posts, read 2,078,781 times
G in MP, my friend!

YES indeed!!! I guess what I was trying to propose was to steer away from always focusing on what is the WORST (fill in the blank) that we come across on the forum...

I would like to contribute to which are the great "nw" suburbs, because my experiences are rather limited, since most of my experiences would be the NORTH suburbs (anything between Milwaukee and Chicago).

I've been to Schaumburg, Crystal Lake, Woodstock. Do ALL of those qualify as Northwest Suburbs, even?? I mean, Schaumburg is pretty close, but Woodstock is rather far away.

Us Milwaukeeans pretty much only count a suburb if their borders touch Milwaukee city limits. I, for example, live in Greenfield. It is a Milwaukee suburb, In fact, the city is literally across the street from me. And the Brewers' stadium is straight north of me, and they played your Cubbies recently!!!!

Old 07-01-2021, 01:24 PM

12,917 posts, read 17,658,564 times
Most of the Barrington area has exorbitant housing prices so you might want to avoid it for that reason. For crime I would think parts of E Maine Township. Around Potter and Ballard Roads.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:53 PM

1,629 posts, read 1,512,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Elgin is not nearly as bad as some people would have you believe. The most rundown section is the southeast side. I worked the 2010 US Census in that area and had very positive experiences with the residents. It was hot, people gave me bottled water and popsicles. Yes, there are a lot hispanics - ooh, scary! There are poor people - so scary. Much of Elgin, especially the further west you get, is typical middle class suburbia.
Agreed. Elgin gets a bad rap but honestly, having lived there for 2.5 yrs (granted we moved last year), we never felt unsafe in the area. There are parts of it that feel "low rent" but nothing remotely dangerous. My wife's cousin lives right downtown in a nice condo area and having visited them numerous times I can safely say we never felt like we would be robbed, mugged, etc.

Old 07-01-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
G in MP, my friend!

YES indeed!!! I guess what I was trying to propose was to steer away from always focusing on what is the WORST (fill in the blank) that we come across on the forum...

I would like to contribute to which are the great "nw" suburbs, because my experiences are rather limited, since most of my experiences would be the NORTH suburbs (anything between Milwaukee and Chicago).

I've been to Schaumburg, Crystal Lake, Woodstock. Do ALL of those qualify as Northwest Suburbs, even?? I mean, Schaumburg is pretty close, but Woodstock is rather far away.

Us Milwaukeeans pretty much only count a suburb if their borders touch Milwaukee city limits. I, for example, live in Greenfield. It is a Milwaukee suburb, In fact, the city is literally across the street from me. And the Brewers' stadium is straight north of me, and they played your Cubbies recently!!!!
IL is weird like that, even far off "bedroom community" towns are considered Chicago suburbs. Anywhere else, they'd be termed exurbs. I live in one of those, or more like I live just outside of one. Pvande55 doesn't seem to like Barrington, but...sorry but not sorry, it's absolutely awesome here. It's the best NW burb bar none, and I lived in a whole lot of them. Here we got houses on acreage, winding roads, hills, and beautiful scenery when driving to shopping or the expressway. As far as pricey, well yeh if you buy a mansion. I didn't buy a mansion.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:32 AM

12,917 posts, read 17,658,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
IL is weird like that, even far off "bedroom community" towns are considered Chicago suburbs. Anywhere else, they'd be termed exurbs. I live in one of those, or more like I live just outside of one. Pvande55 doesn't seem to like Barrington, but...sorry but not sorry, it's absolutely awesome here. It's the best NW burb bar none, and I lived in a whole lot of them. Here we got houses on acreage, winding roads, hills, and beautiful scenery when driving to shopping or the expressway. As far as pricey, well yeh if you buy a mansion. I didn't buy a mansion.
I didn't say it was a bad place, just too costly for many. I realize there are a few places there not real expensive. So far nobody has challenged me on the part of Maine Township I mentioned.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:33 AM

9,322 posts, read 8,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The bad part of Elgin, Hanover Park/Streamwood border, Piper Lane in Prospect Heights, Schiller Park.
Why Piper Lane in Prospect Heights? Is it apartment buildings there? (i just google mapped it).

also, I just moved out of chicago and into the northwest suburbs. TOTALLY AMAZING!! compare anywhere in the suburbs to the worst neighborhoods in chicago, and it is night and day. just in crime, traffic, differences in space (chicago = houses crowded together vs suburbs spread out and more lawns). Its very quiet out here. I haven't heard guns go off, people running thru the streets shooting guns at kids and knocking them over.. no parking meters!!!!! there are some ponds and lakes around here. right now as i look out my front door, its a nice bright sunny 67 degree day and i LOVE ITTTTTT!!! OH, every store you could need is out here.

Oh speaking of traffic, i lived downtown chicago. to get from my apartment to lets say Harlem and Irving, it took maybe 45 minutes which was maybe a 15 mile trip. however, I can make that same 15 mile trip in about 20 minutes.. I now can go to some of my fave suburban places very quickly, since i dont run into traffic on the Eisenhower, between Mannheim Rd and Lake Shore Drive,, that was horrible.

One difference - you might need a car.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I didn't say it was a bad place, just too costly for many. I realize there are a few places there not real expensive. So far nobody has challenged me on the part of Maine Township I mentioned.
Too costly for many, ok, compared to what, downstate IL?

Apples to apples, what's the going rate for a nicely appointed 3k sq ft house in Park Ridge, Glenview, Mt. Prospect, or Arlington Heights? And that's them sitting on standard suburban lots.

As for fixers, just last couple years a few sold near us in the mid $200's, sitting on 5 acres or so. Decent enough shells, just needed all the usual updates, maybe also roof, etc.

I lived all over nw suburbia: Morton Grove, Glenview, Wheeling, Elk Grove, Palatine, Des Plaines, Mt. Prospect, and finally Barrington. Best of them all, Barrington by mile, no comparison even.

Btw, I'm very familiar with Maine Township, I went to Maine East. I dunno how it's there at the current moment, but in the late 80 / early 90, yes, that area over there north of the school, ie, going up Potter, Dee Road, Robin Drive, all that was considered sketchy by suburban standards, mostly coz there were a bunch of apartment blocks there. But I wouldn't call it the hood...certainly wasn't the hood per city standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs