Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 11:25 AM

102 posts, read 161,841 times

Advertisements

I have a question....

I am considering moving to Plainfield, but my job will be in Oak Lawn and my hubby's will be in Berwyn. We currently live in Aurora where our kids attend Naperville schools. We have a townhouse we are putting up for sale.

Is it better to move closer to our work and pay more money for less house or move to Plainfield and get more house for the money? We have 3 kids with 1 on the way.

How are the Plainfield Schools (Plainfield Central HS and the junior highs that feed into this school)? Am I making a mistake moving the kids from Indian Prarie District 204?

Thank you
jenrik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 AM

We used to work in the Western Suburbs in Oak Brook and Lombard but we got new jobs

Old 08-03-2006, 03:23 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,358,504 times
If you are not a fan of Oak Lawn (which has a pretty fair school system and quite a few above average private schools and every home style one could imagine, lots of shopping etc etc), look into
sd 230 tinley park, you can find wonderful wwII era ranch homes on Huuuuge lots in Orland Hills for the same $$ it would cost to build in plainfield.

Commute to Oak Lawn would be about 30 minutes using harlem and SW highway as a route

Commute to Berwyn would be about 50 minutes using harlem and Ogden as routes

Old 08-10-2006, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 96,220 times
You are NOT going to like sitting on Rt55 (stevenson) daily. Its a parking lot. Also, why not move somewhere nicer with more trees and beauty than plainfield....just like the name, plain field.............what about Palos Hts or park, or palos hills? schools great, easy to get around in, and no long commutes....unless you like subdivision living,,,,if you do, then you will like plainfield,,its also called "poor man's Naperville"

Old 08-10-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReGoddess
You are NOT going to like sitting on Rt55 (stevenson) daily. Its a parking lot. Also, why not move somewhere nicer with more trees and beauty than plainfield....just like the name, plain field.............what about Palos Hts or park, or palos hills? schools great, easy to get around in, and no long commutes....unless you like subdivision living,,,,if you do, then you will like plainfield,,its also called "poor man's Naperville"
I know, however, we used to live in Palos Hills in those apartment complexes (worst experience of my life) Green Oaks to be exact. I can't afford to live there. We are looking at Orland and Tinley just to keep our options open.. The houses are small in the are relative to the price. In Plainfied, there is more house for the money. There has to be alternative routes to I-55 to get to Oak Lawn and North Riverside via Plainfield.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:23 AM

8 posts, read 96,220 times
I was not referring to apartment complex's, and Palos Hills is the least nicest of the Palos's. IF you just want the most house for the money, then keep going west,,,,,think of the entire "area" not just square footage of the house

Old 08-10-2006, 11:39 AM

I am curious, why is Palos the least nicest of all the Palos's?

I am keeping my options opened at this time. We just put our house up on the Market yesterday so we haven't decided on anything yet.

Old 08-12-2006, 10:27 PM

84 posts, read 1,102,170 times
Default Palos is nice its just to big and to expensive....

Palos Hills, Palos Park, Palos Heights, most homes are huge secluded, one million plus, they have two huge apartment complexes that are a huge crime problem, If you can grab an older home in Alsip, west of cicero or pulaskit, between 111 th and 123rd, u will be surprised good size great price, dont buy any townhomes or condos in Alsip, most of them dislike children, and young people, lots of maint fees.

Crestwood, is ideal, but good luck, even if you have money, and find a good deal......odds are, hundreds of people are ahead of you, and bidding higher than you one day after you bid........... DO BUY TOWNHOME OR CONDO IN CRESTWOOD WEST OF CICERO NEVER EAST OF CICERO

Oak Lawn is excellent, I think, as a cable guy No, I hate it....homes are a multitude of designs, mixed in with these new brick mini mega mansions, that they are slipping in......

Burbank is excellent, close to Oak Lawn, and close to berwyn, with proper driving skills, and the use of Harlem, if your muslim, burbank is even better....plus you can get a new smaller mini mansion, for less than 300K,

A lot of condos in the oak lawn area, were once apts, thats why unless the condo is a year or less old, dont buy it...........Section 8 everywhere

Hometown is a NO
Bridgeview NO
Justice NO
Argo NO
Summit NO

Midlothian and Oak Forest where i live is OK, way south of oak lawn though....

Old 08-13-2006, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 29,701 times
I grew up in the Yorkville/Plainfield area when it was still basically farmland. I can't believe how huge Plainfield has become. Traffic is horrendous. The schools are still good, but with so much building they are definitely having growing pains. Have you looked farther south? New Lenox comes to mind as a place with excellent schools and a good housing mix.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:45 PM
def

2 posts, read 12,737 times
I concur with EllieMom. We have friends that moved out to Plainfield a few years ago and are now stuck with the multitudes that have moved in since.

From what they tell us, the schools are becoming overburdened and a certain element is also moving there who are affliliated with the gangs in the city and near west suburbs. They are moving there because of the lower cost housing. I was speaking with a neighbor recently who was checking it out as well and he told me that the 'bad one's' from Cicero that he knew about were also moving there so he is staying put until they all move there and leave the rest of us in peace.

You really do get what you pay for in the city and 'outburbs'. It pays to drive by the schools first to see who is living in your prospective neighborhood as they are a reflection of the parents and neighborhood culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs