Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 04:18 PM

28 posts, read 416,415 times

Advertisements

If you have a 45 min window from "downtown" Barrington, you options can extend as far north as Antioch, northeast as Gurnee, northwest as Crystal Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 02:25 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
Of these towns, which ones would you avoid? Island Lake, Fox Lake, Crystal Lake, McHenry, Gurnee, Algonquin, Libertyville, Mundelein, Wauconda. I read here that there is booming development in a lot of the area. Is it turning into a soulless big box suburbia? How bad are taxes/crime there? Schools aren't that big of a concern yet. My daughter is only 7 months and we aren't immediately looking to buy a house.

Another question I have is how would the commute be from any of these places to, let's say, Schaumburg or Arlington Heights or Des Plaines? It looks like a lot of the jobs my husband can and wants to do are concentrated in those areas (I can do mine wherever). However, those suburbs are out of our budget and not particularly of interest to us anyway. Any other town suggetions would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sonnenwende; 11-05-2006 at 03:40 AM..

Old 11-05-2006, 08:15 AM

331 posts, read 1,545,135 times
Default Fox River Grove or Cary

If you need to be close Barrington but don't want to pay extra for housing, then take a good look at Fox River Grove or Cary. Nothing spectacular, not a lot of new development but these are fairly safe, family-oriented, laid-back communities. About 15-20 min from anywhere in Barrington.

If you're not scared when a lot of Spanish is spoken, then try Round Lake. $250K can still land you a very nice piece of real estate. Elementary and middle schools are ok to good. High school is not.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:27 AM

331 posts, read 1,545,135 times
Default For Sonnenwende

Yes. all this town will be a typical suburbia in the next 3-4 years, some of the section already are.
I'd avoid Island Lake, but there's nothing drastic about it really, it's just based on my own experience. In fact I'd avoid McHenry county alltogether.

Lake county taxes are very high - about 5-6K for a 1600sq.ft townhome.
Algonquin is in the Kane county, most of the housing is old.

If you don't care about schools, try newer develpoments in Mudelain. A nice, spacios townhouse under 10years old can still be had for 250k. But stay away from the older sections.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybee View Post
Hi Have been looking at houses/townhouses in lake county...in wauconda, fox lake, volo areas. But, I am not from the area. Anyone have any thoughts on living in these towns?

Affordability and a nice neighborhood is key as well as a relatively short commute (max 45 minutes) to Barrington.

I also would consider Round Lake but I keep hearing that the area is "not very nice." Also looked at Buffalo Grove, Lake Zurich and Vernon Hills...but they seem very expensive for the $$$ .

Thanks for any information!!!
Hello, My name is hugo. I've read your message above, and what a coinsedance my brother Arthur Salinas is building spec-home in Fox- Lake 5 bed 3full baths 2 car ranch $229, 000. completion date 03/07 If intrested call him 224 577 9009 Barrington is 25 minutes from Fox lake neighborhood is decent . Fox lake is by far Better than R.Lake

Old 11-27-2006, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Of these towns, which ones would you avoid? Island Lake, Fox Lake, Crystal Lake, McHenry, Gurnee, Algonquin, Libertyville, Mundelein, Wauconda. I read here that there is booming development in a lot of the area. Is it turning into a soulless big box suburbia? How bad are taxes/crime there? Schools aren't that big of a concern yet. My daughter is only 7 months and we aren't immediately looking to buy a house.

Another question I have is how would the commute be from any of these places to, let's say, Schaumburg or Arlington Heights or Des Plaines? It looks like a lot of the jobs my husband can and wants to do are concentrated in those areas (I can do mine wherever). However, those suburbs are out of our budget and not particularly of interest to us anyway. Any other town suggetions would be great.

Thanks!

Lake County taxes are VERY high. Around 7%. Just moved here form the ciyt looking for a shorter commute and we think in a few years we will have to move agian due to the taxes. Also not sure what we get for our taxes, as I cannot honestly say what a cop car looks like...no patrols out by us! At least in LC there are lots of parks and places to enjoy out doors. If your heart is set in LC, I think for getting services back for your dollar, Gurnee is one of the best. Not very attractive and god knows its a poster child of poor city develpoment, but the schools are good and the servcies to its citizens are outstanding. I would avoid the towns with 'lake' in them from your list. Crystal lake is ok, but the commute would be a haul!...unless you like books on tape...

Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 AM

104 posts, read 234,721 times
Talking tell me more about Wauconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev99sl View Post
My wife and I *just* moved from Wauconda. I lived there for 8 years. It is a wonderful town, and a great place to raise kids. Our son is not quite 2 years old, so I don't know a lot about the schools, but I believe they're good. The great thing about Wauconda is the access to surrounding areas. You're not far at all from Barrington, Hawthorn Woods, Libertyville, Vernon Hills, etc.

We would have stayed, but I found a job in Tinley Park that I just couldn't say no to. We'll be moving in to our house in Manhattan this weekend, otherwise we would have been content to stay and raise our family there.

I prefer Wauconda to Volo and Fox Lake, or Island Lake or Round Lake, simply because I think it's a little more well-developed. In another 5 years or so, all those communities will probably be where Wauconda is now. Although, honestly, I don't know that we'd be able to afford a house in Wauconda if we were moving in today, so get in now if you can.

Hope this helps. I'm really going to miss it up there: Lake County has a lot going for it, if you can stand the traffic! (But traffic is getting ridiculous everywhere, right?)

EDIT: By the way, check out the condos in Crestview Estates. They butt up right against the big forest preserve, and are probably the chepest thing going in town.

[/CENTER]i am looking at Wauconda coming from Tennessee. My husband is getting a transfer to possible Lake Forest or naperville. My price range is under 400,000. I love the homes on the web in Wauconda! As for the town I don't want to feel like I'm in Egypt. How could you describe the neighbors and age range. We are in our thirties with three children 10,7,and7. Young children to play w/ in the neighborhood is a must for us . You so many things on this thread it makes my head spin. Mostly from people that don't or have never lived in Wauconda. Love to read more about the town. We need to make a choice her in the next month or so. Thank you fofr anything that you can share.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
As far as kids? Naperville is your best choice. Have you gotten word which city he'll be working in yet? If Naperville, you should be able to find LOTS of condos from 3-400K. Naperville is consitently ranked in the top 5 places to raise a kid in the USA, and also in the top 5 cities to live in the USA. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2006, 04:46 PM

Red face Job transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
As far as kids? Naperville is your best choice. Have you gotten word which city he'll be working in yet? If Naperville, you should be able to find LOTS of condos from 3-400K. Naperville is consitently ranked in the top 5 places to raise a kid in the USA, and also in the top 5 cities to live in the USA. Good luck!
He has the option of either territory which makes our search so much more difficult. If we make the wrong decision it could be costly both in money and family lifestyle. Naperville in our price range does not appeal to me. At the risk of sounding too picky......I have a love for interior decorating and home design and naperville older homes don't have the floor plans or architectural interest that I'm looking for under 4000,000....... Dreams of grandeur to have it ALL.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:49 PM

Talking condos

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.c.momof3 View Post
He has the option of either territory which makes our search so much more difficult. If we make the wrong decision it could be costly both in money and family lifestyle. Naperville in our price range does not appeal to me. At the risk of sounding too picky......I have a love for interior decorating and home design and naperville older homes don't have the floor plans or architectural interest that I'm looking for under 4000,000....... Dreams of grandeur to have it ALL.
Condo would be great if it were me however, My husband is 6'4 and 3 growing children sounds like a crowd. whew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs