Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:41 AM

23 posts, read 47,081 times

Advertisements

Thanks chitown85. Sounds like you might know the Walnut Creek area. If so what surburb would you say is similar to walnut creek? And what areas would you recommend? We picked walnut creek for the school, but now that my daughter is in a private school and if we were staying here in the area I would move to an area such as pleasant hill, san ramon (?), concord so that we could have more house and because I know the area now. We picked walnut creek because we were new to the area and transitioned our daughter into public schools. Walnut Creek is a great area but housing here are pricey compared to some of the other areas that have small pockets of good communites. Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:47 AM

Thanks Momtomal. We are considering Glenview, but wasn't sure about the housing there. It just seemed like Gurnee have newer homes than Glenview for what I've seen. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I will definitely check out La Grange.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:52 AM

63 posts, read 208,206 times
No problem. I think that is the trade-off with Glenview versus Gurnee. We bought our house because it was cheaper than closer to the city and newer, but we find we are pretty bored up here and the schools aren't as great as say Glenview, Deerfield or the North Shore. So, when we do move, we have accepted that our house may be older for the same amount of money or more, but we will be paying for the schools, proximity to the city and other entertainment. I would look at La Grange for sure, if the commute isn't too bad. There are two Catholic Grade Schools that I know of, and my husband's cousins attended one of them. I think their public schools are better than Gurnee too. Pretty sure there is a private Catholic high school too, but I am not sure if that is the type of private school you are looking at.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:52 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,589 times
I am nominally familiar with Walnut Creek and the East Bay. Just from mere observation, Walnut Creek housing prices, community feel, and proximity the larger Bay Area cities is probably most similar to Glenview or Northbrook. Not to disparage Gurnee, but you see the difference between Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield, Wilmette, etc. to Gurnee in terms of housing price, community, and professional employment. Walnut Creek is def. on the higher end of things economically, as is Glenview and Northbrook.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 PM

momtomal how long would you say it takes you to get to downtown chicago? The thing I like about where we live now is that we can hop on the train to get to Oakland and San Francisco in no time. So if I'm hearing you correctly it's really nothing to do there in Gurnee? How are the parks, library, and other outside activites?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Thanks chitown85 the towns you listed are the ones we initally had on our list. I thought I'll do a little research to see what other areas are out there and are pretty decent. I'm sure just like here the middle class family tend to move a little ways out to get somewhat of a newer or bigger house and at the same time a decent and safe area. But I tell you the areas that were once suppose to be less crimes etc, now days are not the case. It seems like it's happen everywhere now. Really sad. thanks for the information.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
I don't know much about Walnut Creek, but I understand it is on the BART system, with service about every 15 minutes. Glenview is on a commuter rail line with hourly service, more often in rush hours, and less frequent on weekends. Gurnee has no direct rail service, you have to drive a few miles to a station.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:03 PM

63 posts, read 208,206 times
My husband drives to the Lake Forest Metra stop because Libertyville has limited parking. That is a 10-15 minute drive on a good day. Then, the train ride is another hour. My husband interned with his uncle a few years back and took the BART system to the city everyday. He said that was about 45 minutes. Is that right? If so, I guess it is somewhat comparable. As far stuff to do, the park district is very nice in Gurnee, from my experience. As far as upscale or non-chain restaurants, there really isn't much in Gurnee and no good shopping, in my opinion. So, I guess it depends on your preference.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:11 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
That is news to me. I thought shopping and restaurants were the main reason you go to Gurnee.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,111 times
Oh boy, where to start? Lots of mis-information and generalities on this thread:

1. There is a definite North Shore bias on these boards with some people. Meaning that some people will have you believe that life on the North Shore is a sort of Utopia and that surrounding communities do not compare. Check out the movie "Ordinary People" for an alternate look at the north shore lifestyle... I grew up on the north shore, its not for everyone... If your looking for a more down to earth life-style, Gurnee may be worth considering.

2. The difference in affluence between Glenview and Gurnee is very little. Gurnee compares very favorable in income. According to statistics from citydata.com, In 2008 Gurnee median household income was $88,889 compared to Gleview which was $95,954. Apparently some people on the board think that it takes a Glenview income to send your kids to the North Shore Country Day School, but thats just not the reality. (Again, I'm just pointing out this snobbiness bias I was talking about).

3. Most people living in Gurnee are professionals. Check out the stats on citydata.com. Most of my neighbors work for Abbott Labs, Baxter or Motorola. Average incomes don't climb to $88k just working at McDonalds....lol. Bottom line: Most people in Gurnee commute to local North Suburban companies and are not commuting to Chicago. Its true there is not a Metra station in Gurnee, but you can drive 10 minutes to Prairie Crossing or Grayslake and catch a train there.

4. Average age in Glenview is 41, while the average age in Gurnee is 34. So there are more younger couples with younger kids....all looking for newer, reasonably priced and bigger housing that is here in Gurnee. Older more expensive homes and longer established villages such as Glenview are appealing to many people. The question is, will you be "house poor" living in a more expensive area??? Its a decision that only you can make. I for one think its important to fund your retirement vs. pouring everything into your house.

5. Retail and Entertainment: The economy is struggling every where, not just Gurnee. Yes retail sales are down in Gurnee, but what Chet doesn't tell you is that even with slumping sales, Gurnee is still the leading retail sales entity in Lake County. Yes, #1. Gurnee Mills just announced a $5 million dollar renovation and has been changing the concept of the Mills from an outlet mall to a value price store concept, with stores such as Sears Grand and Saks Fifth Ave. Retail sales still sustain the Village of Gurnee even today----as Gurnee residents DO NOT pay a village property tax or vehicle sticker.

As for entertainment, Six Flags corporate filed for bankruptcy. Big deal. The theme park isn't going anywhere. If Six Flags can not operate the park any longer, another corporate entity will swoop it up. Six Flags in Gurnee, individually, is one of the most profitable theme parks in the Country.

6. Family Environment: Gurnee has an outstanding family environment. Its mostly younger couples with school age kids. Little League, Apple Pie, a great park district, wonderful forest preserves such as Independence Grove nearby, the Warren Township Center, new community center with health club, Aquatics Center, etc. etc. etc. People are real and down to earth. If Superior family environment equals snobbiness and super competitive neighbors (not saying everyone is like that), then the North Shore or surrounding communities like Glenview might be for you.

7. Lack luster life style? If you want the closer action to the city, move to Glenview. Gurnee is not the best for singles either. Gurnee is about going to Six Flags with your kids after work for an hour, taking a ride on the des plaines river trail on your bike after work, or going to a little league game with your kid. Its not about the newest trend restaurant or hot night club. In Gurnee you have few original restaurants, mostly chains. We are the Chuckie-Cheese crowd! LOL. Again, this community is aimed at couples with kids. Plenty ...and I mean plenty of things to do with your kids.

8. Schools: The schools are fine. There are two school districts in the village, and Woodland is generally regarded as the better district. All of these $88k earners are not going to send their kids to inferior schools.

9. Nothing to do? Its true there isn't a ton of Upscale shopping or restaurants. Mom to mal is right, you have to drive to Vernon Hills for upscale shopping and Wheeling for upscale dining....but its just a short drive. If having Morton's steak house in town is important to you, then Gurnee is not for you.

As for things to do: in addition to everything I mentioned already, there is Key Lime Cove water park, Bat Speed indoor baseball facility, Rink side sports ice rink and game room, Gymnastics place (can think of name), world class library, live theater at the Genesse theater, college of lake county next door, 4 coffee houses, a new upscale bar (Timothy O toules), etc. etc. etc. Sure, its not Chicago or not Northbrook court or Hawthorn, but for many higher income people....Gurnee is a perfectly happy place to live...

Last edited by lakecountylifer; 04-30-2010 at 09:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs