Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:26 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times

Advertisements

There is North Shore bias because most of the people posting in response to questions are from the North Shore. I myself admit I have a NW suburban bias. I think the reason that the average family income in Glenview is not much higher, while the average age is higher, is due to two interconnected reasons. One, Glenview has a decent amount of apartments. Individuals occupying those apartments tend to be older retirees whose kids live in other North Shore or NW burbs. Generally these individuals are on retirement incomes or are "recent immigrants" from the former Soviet Union.

Compare the price of a home in Glenview versus the price of a home in Gurnee. There are nowhere near each other. Gurnee is a nice place to live, but I know where the OP is coming from. Walnut Creek is a top of the line Bay Area suburb. As LakeCountyLifer stated, Gurnee is more chain restaurants and down home America (paraphrasing). Glenview is much more indicative of Chicago dining, entertainment, nightlife than Gurnee simply because it's closer and the people who reside there.

Glenview is also more ethnic. Lots of Jews, Asians, Russians, Greeks, etc. If you asked people in Glenview where they grew up, you are more likely to hear city neighborhoods and other close suburbs like Evanston, Skokie, and Des Plaines, (or New York). If you were to ask the same question in Gurnee, people are most likely going to say Gurnee, Round Lake, Zion, (or Wisconsin).

I do agree with LakeCountyLifer that you get a much bigger home for the same price in Gurnee as you do in Glenview. But the reason for that is Glenview is simply more desirable of a place to live to many Chicagoans than Gurnee, otherwise Gurnee homes would be priced accordingly.

I do have a few friends from Walnut Creek, CA and judging by what I have seen, Glenview would be more their style than Gurnee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 12:00 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I think the reason that the average family income in Glenview is not much higher, while the average age is higher, is due to two interconnected reasons. One, Glenview has a decent amount of apartments. Individuals occupying those apartments tend to be older retirees whose kids live in other North Shore or NW burbs. Generally these individuals are on retirement incomes or are "recent immigrants" from the former Soviet Union..

Gurnee has more apartments and more people in apartments that are ethnic minorities than Glenview. The entire Delany Rd. corridor in Gurnee is apartment buildings for example with lower income people. Sorry that your income rationale doesn't seem to work. Median income lowered by the apartment living seniors and russian immigrants in Glenview are off-set by the apartment living Hispanic community here on the Waukegan border in Gurnee.

That said, I'm not denying that Glenview is more desirable for many, many people. I agree with you. I love Old Orchard and wish that Gurnee Mills was more like it. I prefer Maggianos over the Olive Garden too. But I don't mind driving down to Old Orchard to shop and coming home to my affordable 3500 sf, new home on a huge lot. But thats just me.

I think work choices play into choosing a place like Gurnee, as well as more affordable housing. Many people I know in Gurnee grew up on the North Shore and couldn't afford to live in a McMansion and chose to move here. Its inaccurate to say that Gurnee is full of Zion or Round Lake upgraders. Thats just more north shore bias bull.

Look, if you have $95,000 in median income to spend and you want to put it all in your house---thats a choice many, many people make. You can make a big mortgage payment and charge your clothes at Nordstrom on the weekend. If your looking for more affordable housing and pay cash for your clothes, many people may consider moving to an area that has more affordable housing. Its all in the choices people make obviously.

Last edited by lakecountylifer; 05-01-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 12:33 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
I did a search of Glenview and Gurnee apartments. There are significantly more apartments in Glenview, as to be expected, since the population of Glenview is about 14K more than Gurnee. I didn't imply Gurnee is a bad place to live. In fact, it is a very nice place to live, and is still highly sought after by many Chicagoans. It just so happens that Glenview is more sought after due to PERCEIVED quality of life improvements over suburbs further north. That's partially why housing prices are higher in Glenview. It's all about perception. In relation to the OPs post, Walnut Creek is way more similar to Glenview than Gurnee.

Personally, if I were choosing between suburbs, I would prefer a smaller house closer to the city, nearer upscale shopping and restaurants. That's just my preference, but that's also one expressed by many Chicagoans. Unfortunately, the economic reality kicks in and most people can't make it work.

If someone was choosing between Gurnee and Johnsburg in McHenry County, we would be having the same argument with someone from McHenry. The perception is that Gurnee is way better than Johnsburg for most people, despite Johnsburg having a pretty good quality of life.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Johnsburg is still developing, it will probably be growing for some time. But now it is mostly residential. Even when fully built out it will likely be a far cry from Gurnee.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:47 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
The apartment thing to me is really moot. So there are more apartments in Glenview? The apartment rationale for the median income comparison is just your guess work. There still is the eastern edge of Gurnee with working and/or middle class homes that dominate and make know where near the $88k median income in Gurnee.

I know your not knocking Gurnee, its all good. It really is about lifestyle choices. The lifestyle questions (house size, upscale living, etc.) can only be answered by the OP.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,321 times
Lakecountylifer is so dead on here. People looking to move to Glenview probably wouldn't include Gurnee in their search, and the reverse is also true. Neither are bad, but people moving to Glenview are probably focused on proximity to the city, trendier restaurants, upscale shopping, etc. People moving to Gurnee want more house for their money, and the fact that it's mostly chain restaurants and that the mall features mostly outlet shops likely doesn't bother them much.

The schools are ranked better in Glenview, but if your planning on private schools, it's probably not a huge issue.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Gurnee is a nice town, but the NOrth Shore communities and the ones west of the Edens that are similar in feel are like comparing oranges and grapefruits. They're both nice, healthy citrus fruits, but they are different. I prefer being closer in, with older communities that typically have the BIG mature trees and landscape that go along with it. I am willing to live in an older, smaller house to accomplish this. It's preferences.
OP, I always advocate living close to work. Glenview, WIlmette, Winnetka, parts of Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove & Prospect Heights, Deerfield, Lincolnshire- those are the burbs that appeal to me and keep you within reasonable commute time of 25-35 minutes or less to Glenview. Why add the extra commute of driving in from Gurnee?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
I certainly can appreciate where lakecountylifer is coming from. I taught at Warren Township High School and I also have direct experience teaching at private schools in the region. There can be huge differences in how the kids that go to Warren Township typically spend their recreational time and the way that kids at a very costly and privileged private school spend their time away from academics. Those differences exist even in the far more affordable world of parochial schools that I am also familar with.

Belive me, I meant no disrespect to Gurnee. The only thing I meant about feeling very out of place was due to my concerns that they would be subjecting themselves and their kids to a really hectic and, in my opinion, unnecessary commute. I am certain there are many people that live in Gurnee that could afford to send their children to NSCD, the issue would be how convenient that would be, how likely would that be to create a less than ideal situation at school, and how likely would they be to apart from the community of neighbors that they would be moving into. Now had the OP said they wanted to know about options for religious schools or even the whole range of education options include public, I would have not been so strong in saying that they would likely feel very out of place. I know folks from Gurnee that send their elementary aged students to St. Joe in Libertyville and their high schoolers to Carmel in Mundelein. While they do this is out of traditon / religious commitment they also tell me that is pretty much impossible to get to sporting events when they kids have an away game against a another Catholic school in Kankakee (!?!) or other far away location.
Further complicating the question of relocating and expressing a preference for private schools comes from the fact that I know a few people from California, and unless I explain to them how Illinois runs it property tax system, they cannot understand the major differences between how our schools are funded and the situation they face ...

Old 08-19-2015, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,618 times
Default Moving to Round Lake

I am moving from East Coast to Round Lake for a job. I like the city feel having lived near NYC. I don't mind public transportation but I occasionally like to drive. I am looking for an apt or room to share for now. Which is the best place to look to live. No kids will live with me?

Old 08-19-2015, 11:08 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusua27 View Post
I am moving from East Coast to Round Lake for a job. I like the city feel having lived near NYC. I don't mind public transportation but I occasionally like to drive. I am looking for an apt or room to share for now. Which is the best place to look to live. No kids will live with me?
Libertyville would be a good choice for you. They have a pretty nice downtown and there is an urban feel around the downtown area. It's only a 20 minute drive from Round Lake and has a metra station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs