U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 PM

23 posts, read 44,208 times

Advertisements

How is it raising kids in Gurnee? And how about the commute from Gurnee to Glenview and Gurnee to Chicago?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 06:32 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,404,676 times
Gurnee is a pretty nice community. You can take the train from Gurnee to Glenview, takes about 35 minutes. Gurnee to Chicago is about 75 minutes (I think) on the METRA train. Driving could be anywhere from 55 minutes to Chicago to over 2 hours and the same goes for the reverse commute.

You really get squeezed going up the Expressway to Gurnee because in winter, the commutes are always slow, and then in the summer, with Six Flags Great America and all their special days.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:49 AM

Thanks, chitown85. Are there any areas to avoid there?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:11 AM

I'm not really too familiar with specific neighborhoods, other posters are way more familiar than I am. However, I can say Gurnee is pretty much middle and upper middle class. Low crime, except property crime, which is in every suburb.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 AM

Thanks again

Old 04-30-2010, 09:56 AM

28,461 posts, read 78,568,953 times
Depending on what you are looking for it is my opinion that Gurnee does not offer much. Once it was a booming area in Lake Co, with new construction that was orders of magnitude more affordable than any other part of Lake Co that had acceptable levels of safety and school performance. The taxes it received from developments like its large retail base and the entertainment facilities made it a good value for residents too.

Unfortunately the new construction is no longer as prevalent, the entertainment venues are very financially tenuous and even the retails sales are suffering significantly.

If you were looking at employment in or very near Gurnee it might STILL be a good option, but when you mention employment in Glenview, the sense of risking living in Gurnee diminishes greatly.

There are better places to spend your housing dollar if you want to be close to work and have superior family environment.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 AM

Thanks chet everett. Husband will be working in Glenview. We are looking for an area that offers what we need not having to go to Chicago or neighboring towns. For example, we now live in Walnut Creek, CA. It has a great downtown area that everyone migrate to on the weekends, good schools, great public transportation to Oakland and San Francisco, nice library (which is important), the city offers many activities, target, great parks, and lot of things to do are in walking distance. Kids will be attending private school so schools are not a top priority. Wanting a nice family oriented community. We are seriously considering renting just to get to know the area and find the right town to live in. I think we rather live north of glenview???

Old 04-30-2010, 11:06 AM

One thing to remember with Chicago suburbs, they are all interconnected. They are all very close together and while Glenview may not have a lot of shopping (they do to an extent), there is a huge mall next door in Northbrook. While parks might be lacking in Deerfield, there are plenty in neighborhing Highland Park for example.

Walnut Creek is a little seperated from other communities, geographically, it isn't like that here as much.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:29 AM

28,461 posts, read 78,568,953 times
I agree that there is much more "running together" of towns in the Chicago suburbs than in Walnut Creek CA, but the amenities that are available to residents of one area AND THE BONDS YOU BUILD WITH NEIGHBORS AND THEIR CHILDREN and very much related to where everyone is comfortable with getting to. If that means the local park offers soccer you and your kids will then know the locals, while if you choose to participate in some regionally dispersed offering, (like perhaps ice hockey) you may spend a great deal of time almost avoiding the other folks as you have no time to get to where they live. A very big difference...

Where is the private school the kids will be attending? If it is a well known school like North Shore Country Day you will definately feel VERY VERY out of place in Gurnee.

It you have a particular parochial school picked out the geographic radius that folks choose to attend those tends to be fairly limited as the commute time can make winter driving very hectic.

Even for private schools that are faith-based but not Catholic most folks will tend locate pretty near-by.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:39 AM

63 posts, read 194,026 times
My husband makes the commute from Gurnee to Chicago everyday. He doesn't mind the train, but if he has to drive it can take him anywhere from 50 minutes to 2 hours. We live in a very nice neighborhood in Gurnee with lots of kids and young families, but to tell you the truth, everything else in Gurnee is pretty lack-luster, in my opinion. I am constantly driving to other towns further south to enjoy good shopping, restaurants, and other activities. After 3 years here, we already know we will be moving closer to the city soon. We are currently looking at Winnetka, Glenview, or Wilmette. My husbands aunt moved from Walnut Creek, CA 4 years ago. They focused their search on Glenview and La Grange. They ended up in La Grange and love it, but I am not sure how that commute would be to Glenview. I do know that it is a quick trip to the city, which is always nice. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs