Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:04 PM

217 posts, read 554,000 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking to move to the Chicago area to be closer to family. I am looking to spend no more than $240,000. My husband and I would like to live in a safe neighborhood with good schools(want to start a family). Please let me know any suggestions you have. I do not no where we will be working yet, but lets figure I would have to commute to downtown. Travel time is not an issue, I currently commute 30 minutes by car.

Thanks and I look foward to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 11:19 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,251 times
most suburbs have homes for 240,000 or less. you are going to have to be more specific.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:57 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Probably North Cook County/South Lake County. Perhaps you should rent until you find a job, which will take quite a while in itself: I know quite a few who have been looking for over a year. That location would be tough if you end up working in Hammond IN. If you both end up working downtown you are in luck - anywhere within 50 miles is a short drive from a Metra train station.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:26 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,773 times
Niles, Morton Grove, Des Plaines.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:23 AM

38 posts, read 104,460 times
Not sure what you looking for in a house but Palatine is a nice area (with the exception of being in cook county). I would stay away from the far north side and east side of town. There are good schools for all grades, plenty of parks and a good township.

The is a Metra train to downtown with ample parking (you have no idea how nice this is until you try to park in some other train stations)! Near Arlington racetrack, Schaumburg (every chain restaurant and Woodfield mall), O'Hare airport.

Arlington Heights is nice too but a bit more expensive and you basically get the same in Palatine.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 AM

320 posts, read 954,683 times
Munster, Indiana. As far out as Downers Grove, and Palatine, and a fraction of the price. Great schools, as well.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:41 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
Hello,

I am looking to move to the Chicago area to be closer to family. I am looking to spend no more than $240,000. My husband and I would like to live in a safe neighborhood with good schools(want to start a family). Please let me know any suggestions you have. I do not no where we will be working yet, but lets figure I would have to commute to downtown. Travel time is not an issue, I currently commute 30 minutes by car.

Thanks and I look foward to your responses.
These are hoods down by me... All nice and safe like you asked for check out these listings.

Orland Park & Tinley Park - Homes.com - Real Estate and Homes For Sale.

That should give you a start.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:48 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Interesting perspectives.

It may be helpful to realize that for MOST people living the Chicago region a 30 minute car commute would be on the short side.

Further, based on median housing prices as reported through multiple sources (including our benevolent hosts here at city-data.com ...) the OP's target price is FAR below the median. Now that does not mean that no homes can be had for the target price, just that they will be quite scarce, likely older, not updated, perhaps even suffering from the kind of maladies that sometimes come along with distressed sales...

While prices have declined as measured by various means the fact is that homes in good condition in desirable areas cling pretty tightly to the medians as reported:

//www.city-data.com/city/Downer...-Illinois.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Des-Plaines-Illinois.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Niles-Illinois.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Morton...-Illinois.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Wheeling-Illinois.html

Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 PM

179 posts, read 486,166 times
You don't say where your family is and if you wish to stay closer to them. Especially if you are starting a family and would need their support for babysitting, etc. ... that could be a major factor in your decision as to where to look and live.
No knowing that, I will say that for the price range you are speaking ... you might want to consider Manhattan, IL. It's located in the far south suburbs, but still has a commuter train to the city. The homes are a mixture of older within the main village and newer on the outer edges. The village is a mix of rural yet (as farms can still be found dotting the outer regions of the village to the south) and close enough to the city that you can commute for work and visit for excursions. I will not deny that the commute would be a longer one, but based on your projected home price, your statement of not being deterred by a longer trip ... it may be a good trade-off and location for you. Manhattan is located within Will County and its schools are excellent. High School students attend the highly-regarded Lincoln-Way High School District. Elementary through Jr. High remain within the village limits. Many new franchises are popping up in town. They have an excellent grocery store and pharmacy. Churches of all faiths are in town or close by. Doctors and Dentists are within the village also .. and two hospitals are located close by in Joliet, the newly expanded and re-located Silver Cross being the closer of the two. Major roads/interstates are close and link the area with all of Chicagoland and more. As I said, the town would have a mixture of homes to view and consider ... everything from older single families to smaller more newly constructed, mainly townhomes. Let me know if I can answer anything more specific. Best of luck to you in making this move ... no matter where you decide.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Still quite rural. Taking a risk that development proceeds vs going for an established town. Median is closer to the OP's range, not sure I would want that long a commute, especially with notoriously poor rail service in that corridor, but an option: //www.city-data.com/city/Manhattan-Illinois.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs