U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
JDM JDM started this thread

2 posts, read 7,881 times

Advertisements

Possibly relocating back to Chicagoland after eight-plus years in Seattle. In 1997, I blindly picked Wheaton as a new grad because it was close to where I worked and the apartment was cheap. I lived there for only a year, and although I took the train to the city often because Wheaton wasn't exactly a happening place for a single gal in her 20s, I'm now a mom looking for a nice burby place to settle down with my family. I liked Wheaton because it was quiet; my question is this: Is it pretty much the same as it was a decade ago? Will we stick out like sore thumbs (liberal politics, enjoying a cold beer in the backyard, converse sneakers)? Not that it matters that much, but kind of curious as to what you all thought.

Also, what's Lombard like in comparison? Looking for a "train town" for the work commute into the city.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 12:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 74,490,369 times
Wheaton has grown up nicely in the last 8 years. Downtown is alive and well, lots of new developments (albeit expensive) south of town, etc. Wheaton is largely conservative, and its well known for that. You should be fine being a liberal, although some people may snub you.

Lombard is decent, I dont hang around there too terribly much so I cant comment really. I do like the area along Butterfield close to Yorktown, theres lots to do there, great restaurants (ie P F Changs, Weber Grill, Kona Grill, Benihana's, etc, etc, etc).

Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 33,188 times
Every town has all different kinds of people and you can't really generalize about the political atmosphere, but if you're playing the odds, neither Wheaton nor Lombard is a great fit for liberal politics. I would look at Oak Park, (some parts of) Naperville, or some of the northern suburbs (especially the near north suburbs) for more left-leaning citizens.

I'm sure most neighbors would be happy to join you for a beer on your patio as long as you're outside at a reasonable hour and aren't on the eighth tier of your beeramid.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:37 PM
JDM JDM started this thread

2 posts, read 7,881 times
Beeramid. Heh heh. Nope, no beeramids here. Thanks for your input... that's what I was hoping to hear about Wheaton. Although we don't necessarily feel the need to be surrounded by people exactly like us (Republicans are people too!), we don't want to be the complete anomaly either. Thanks again.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,710 times
Wheaton is still nice, but Lombard is what I like to call "Strip Mall Heaven." If you love run down and outdated strip malls, Lombard is the place for you. I have a pretty good grip of Lombard, I've go to school off the scenic (sarcasm) Roosevelt Road, and (hold your breath) miss the hell out of the Detroit suburb that I grew up in compared to Lombard. I live in neighboring Glen Ellyn and really enjoy that area, yet the price of real estate is a bit steep. Wheaton is very similar to Glen Ellyn, yet less expensive, and is further and further away from Chicago, if proximity is important to you. I've lived in the area now for 2 years, and feel as if Glen Ellyn, Naperville, Oakbrook, and Schaumburg are the nicest western suburbs of Chicago. The last three though are significantly bigger than the quiant Glen Ellyn that I'm used to.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 PM

677 posts, read 4,072,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurd2yomutha View Post
I've lived in the area now for 2 years, and feel as if Glen Ellyn, Naperville, Oakbrook, and Schaumburg are the nicest western suburbs of Chicago.
Schaumburg? Seriously? Check out Western Springs and La Grange - they're a million times better.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:28 AM

5,653 posts, read 18,605,149 times
Wurd: Lombard is very nice. If you are basing it on roosevelt road, RR is also kind of "strippy" ALL through glen ellyn, villa park, wheaton, and oak brook terrace. Nothing to base your opinions of a burb on that's for sure. The Yorktown area mall area - 22nd street - is happening these days.

I personally think Glen ellyn and Elmhurst are too expensive for what u get these days. Lombard is still fairly reasonable.

I was in downtown wheaton by the brary the other day, and was very pleased - it is very nice in that area!

Old 08-24-2007, 11:39 AM

4,722 posts, read 14,945,349 times
of Wheaton or Lombard,,I would definitly vote Wheaton.I think the town,most neighborhoods and schools are nicer.IMHO

Old 08-25-2007, 12:18 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,653,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurd2yomutha View Post
Wheaton is still nice, but Lombard is what I like to call "Strip Mall Heaven." If you love run down and outdated strip malls, Lombard is the place for you. I have a pretty good grip of Lombard, I've go to school off the scenic (sarcasm) Roosevelt Road, and (hold your breath) miss the hell out of the Detroit suburb that I grew up in compared to Lombard. I live in neighboring Glen Ellyn and really enjoy that area, yet the price of real estate is a bit steep. Wheaton is very similar to Glen Ellyn, yet less expensive, and is further and further away from Chicago, if proximity is important to you. I've lived in the area now for 2 years, and feel as if Glen Ellyn, Naperville, Oakbrook, and Schaumburg are the nicest western suburbs of Chicago. The last three though are significantly bigger than the quiant Glen Ellyn that I'm used to.
Roosevelt Road sucks, and so do most such mainline roads in the Chicagoland area. They can't beat the mile road system in metro Detroit. Rochester Road's strip malls are much nicer than Roosevelt Road's. Then again, Lombard is something of an inner suburb thesedays, so you might compare it to ... the run-down parts of Royal Oak?

Glen Ellyn is cute, whereas Wheaton is an old man and his Buick, meh.

I picked up an I-Pass this weekend. The Kingery Highway and LaGrange Road suck. Long live the Tri-State Scamway, North-South Scamway, East-West Scamway, and Northwest Scamway. (Yes, this is a Michiganian's critique of toll roads.)

Old 10-13-2007, 01:20 AM

633 posts, read 1,371,987 times
M Type X, this isn't a comparison thread between Chicago Suburbs and Detroit's, although you might want to start one.

As far as Wheaton vs. Lombard: I live in Lombard, and have for the last nineteen years (minus five years in Pennsylvania). It has grown enormously during that time. Old mainstays like the historic downtown Dairy Queen and the nationally-renowned Lilacia Park (much nicer than Wheaton's downtown park) are still around, and they are joined by the bustling development around Yorktown Mall, including the new Westin Hotel highrise.

Downtown, I couldn't believe how many new condos had gone up since I left for college five years ago. Granted, we still need a Starbucks and a decent late-night bar. However, Flaherty's is right up the road, just south of downtown. And I hear Texan B-B-Q is delicious as well. The downtown also revolves around the Metra station, so if you are looking for a "train" village, Lombard would be an excellent pick.

Wheaton is scenic, and homey. I would put it more in the category of a Naperville or an Arlington Heights than Lombard. The climate is very conservative, and while it isn't a college town per se, Wheaton College is located there for a reason. The town reflect's the college's mores. This, of course, is not a bad thing. However, you won't find the diversity that Lombard has.

Good luck on your choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs