U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 11:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,433 times

Advertisements

This is totally new for me.

I'm a retiring veteran with Iraq-war injuries. I'm moving to IL to take a job in Green Oaks, a military there. I want to live somewhat between there and Downtown Chicago so its comfortable to drive to work and visit Downtown Chicago with my son.

I know I don't want to be far from Highway 90/94. I would love a house that's not older than 40yrs old but I'm definitely open to a very nice condo with minimum of 3bd/2bth.

Please tell me all ideas to consider. I know I would prefer Elmwood Park and Green Oaks. Lots of options, right?

If you know of any good listings or are selling yours also, please post also. Under $280k. Thanks, IL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:00 AM

28,461 posts, read 79,918,694 times
Man that is a tiny budget in this region. I think you would be hard pressed to find a 3bd2ba condo for that sum. Even in the least desirable portions of Wheeling or DesPlaines (which is about far south as I would recommend given a job in Green Oaks...) you might have to settle for a two bedroom condo.

Green Oaks is a town that took the unincorporated parts of Libertyville and decided to go upscale. Still a long ways from Chicago, and no good short cuts to other areas that are more affordable...

The semi-funky areas near Rondout might have a deal or two, but that would not get you closer to Chicago to visit with your son...

Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 AM

12,900 posts, read 17,433,897 times
You can find a house like that in Mundelein, which is pretty close to Green Oaks. The drawback is no train service to Chicago on weekends. Why would you consider Elmwood Park? That has to be an hour from Green Oaks.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 AM

28,461 posts, read 79,918,694 times
Mundelien is farther from Chicago than Green Oaks. I gathered that the OP wants to be a suburb that is convenient to Chicago to visit family.

Elmwood Park is adjacent to Chicago, but the commute to Green Oaks would be terrible...

If he focuses on Wheeling or DesPlaines I think commute time should be under 45 mins most days...

Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 PM

174 posts, read 489,991 times
HMMM...What about Vernon Hills? It is about 12 min from I-94. It is a lot closer to Green Oaks than it is to Chicago, though. It is about 20 min to Green Oaks, and about 50 min to Chi-town. Also about a half-an-hour from Great Lakes Naval Base (not sure if you need to go there or not). You can find some affordable condos in VH. It is a fairly new town with great schools and access to a lot of stores, etc. Thank you for your service, and welcome to Illinois!

Last edited by ChicagoBurbs; 06-01-2010 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: add detail

Old 06-02-2010, 12:50 PM

692 posts, read 1,891,230 times
Green Oaks is 99% residential with a population of less than 4000. What job are you taking in Green Oaks, serving as someone's butler at there house?

And your two choices to live are Green Oaks---again rural feel and very upscale and expensive---and Elmwood Park---blue collar and two hours away in rush hour. Crazy.

Why do some of these threads just seem like someone writing aimlessly wanting others to waste their time by writing replies?

Old 06-02-2010, 06:08 PM

2,116 posts, read 5,002,174 times
I agree. However, there are a few businesses / corporations located in the northern Bradley Road section of Green Oaks. Parts of this corridor actually carry a Lake Forest address, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Green Oaks is 99% residential with a population of less than 4000. What job are you taking in Green Oaks, serving as someone's butler at there house?

And your two choices to live are Green Oaks---again rural feel and very upscale and expensive---and Elmwood Park---blue collar and two hours away in rush hour. Crazy.

Why do some of these threads just seem like someone writing aimlessly wanting others to waste their time by writing replies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>