Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 06:02 PM

17 posts, read 69,660 times

Advertisements

Recently, I stayed in Evanston, IL and absolutly fell in love with the place. Here's my question, which I know is a little lengthy, but I'm a pycho planner so bear with me. I will finish school in 2 years and my husband will finish in 1 year. We would like to stay in Kansas where we now live to gain experience in our workfields. After 2-4 years of experience, we expect to be making about $70k - $75k between the two of us. We also have 1 child and won't/can't have anymore so there will only be three of us. Is this a logical five year plan? Neither of us have student loans to pay off, we currently rent a house and own both of our cars and we plan to be in the same position when we make the move so we will have no debt at that time (I haven't accured any debt minus some medical bills that no longer show up on my credit report so I'm sure I can keep myself from accuring debt for another 5 years) I know that Evanston is pricey but will that income be enough for us to live comfortably? Would you suggest renting or buying? We've never owned a home before so we feel renting might be a better option to start with. My son will be 12-13 around the time we'd like to move so schools are important! Where I live in Kansas, it was incredibly easy to get our child into a better school in a different district. Is this true for the Evanston area as well? I go 30 miles out of my way everyday to take my son to school but traffic is way different here so it doesn't take as long to go those 30 miles. Lots of questions, most likely too many details, but at least I was thorough. Any tips would be appreciated!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 06:45 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,637 times
I believe it would be logical if you both had 1.5 years of experience after school, adopt two cats, then move to Berwyn (Evanston will just be too expensive for you). You will need to ask your new employer here in the Chicago area to let you tele-commute from home on Wednesdays so you could spend extra time with your cats and maybe drive to Evanston to visit its shops and beaches. Let us know how it all plays out!

Old 06-04-2010, 06:55 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Salaries here differ from those in Kansas, so you would have that going for you. Also, I don't really think you would need to necessarily have experience under your belt prior to moving as long as you have a job offer ahead of time. Unless you will have a HUGE downpayment on a home, I don't think $75K/year will allow you to afford much of a house in Evanston, sadly. I'm not overly familiar with the school districts in Evanston, so I'll someone else comment on that.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:33 PM

That sounds great and all but what's with the cats, man? Really, whose great idea it was to domesticate an animal that sh*ts in a box inside your home. Cats are gross! I appreciate the sarcasm though! Its cool...really...I speak it as a second language myself. I have done the research for job earnings in the area and that's where I shot my $70k figure from (and I will admit that the $75k is probably a little closer to being hopeful). I'm enrolled in the physical therapy assistant program and my husband is finishing up the HVAC program if that helps paint a better picture of my financial situation. I am a firm believer in paying for everything in cash and saving money. I feel like I have more advantage to move into a bigger market because I am not coming with a ton of debt on my shoulders. Most people in my classes are younger than me by five years and they have crazy debt mostly to credit cards. Am I still being too hopeful? I really love that place.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
You may be able to live in a smaller condo if you really mind your budget and get rid of all car payments. You probably just need to draw up a budget beforehand to see what lifestyle you can live. Keep in mind that child care alone in Evanston is typically more than $1200/month. And it doesn't get any cheaper as you go south into the North Side of Chicago.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:41 PM

320 posts, read 955,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_fenton View Post
Where I live in Kansas, it was incredibly easy to get our child into a better school in a different district. Is this true for the Evanston area as well? I go 30 miles out of my way everyday to take my son to school but traffic is way different here so it doesn't take as long to go those 30 miles. Lots of questions, most likely too many details, but at least I was thorough. Any tips would be appreciated!!! Thanks!
We looked at Evanston for a recent move, and what dissuaded us was a policy they have in place called "cap and transfer", where they can take any newly placed student, and if they deem a school is too crowded, can place them into another one.

The problem is acute in the elementary schools that everyone wants into, Lincoln and Orrington, but could be used as well on the JH level.

We ended up back in the city. AT 75k between the both of you, Evanston or the city will be a rough go, even if you are renting. Owning in Cook County is a hassle, and the taxes and assessments on a condo will set you back farther than you think.

You can do it, but it will be at least one ramen night a week.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:36 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I think a lot of us struggle with the cost of living in Chicago for the first few years we are here. My wife stayed on a friend's couch and ate potatoes every day. I temped some really crap jobs until I got a great opportunity in my field. It takes a while to get your bearings, and I suggest just moving here first, renting, and figuring it out from there. It's easier for a married couple--but harder when kids are in the picture.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 PM

So, maybe wait until the 18 year contract with that kid of mine ends?
Haha. Kidding. Maybe I'll wait til he's a little older. I don't think child care will be an issue once he's about 16. And one might say "but Katie, do you really want to move when he's that close to being done with high school?" And I'll say "I lived in Hutchinson, ks when I was 16, and I would have told everyone I know to go f themselves if my parents wanted to move me out of here." Mature, I know. But yeah I think he'll appreciate it. So, see ya in 6-7 years Evanston. Or Chicago. Or whatever suburb I end up in. Thanks everyone. Dream big!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs