U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 03:15 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,095,857 times

Advertisements

The now 12 team Big Ten will have a conference championship game.

The question is: is Chicago in the running.

Indianapolis, Minneapolis, and Detroit sure are although Mpls is a little too far west to make it a logical site. Super Bowls are played in domed stadiums when the game is in the North. In fact, the new Giants/Jets meadowland stadium will be the first open air northern stadium to host the game.

But late January is not early December. The Big Ten title game will come a week after football has been played (with no fear of weather) in places like Minneapolis, Madison, Evanston, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, and Columbus.

Unless there is a big weather difference between Evanston and Chicago that nobody has told me about, Soldier Field would be perfect for the game and provide the excitement of an open air enviornment.

So will we, the undeniable capital and HQ for the conference, be considered? Personally I think we lost something when Indy got the b'ball tournament. I'd love to see that corrected in the Big Ten title game. And it won't hurt the city one bit if Ohio State and Iowa match up with the tower the towers of Chicago rising above the north end zone.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 04:20 PM

15,585 posts, read 25,873,899 times
Sorry EDSG but I dont think most people really care about this subject in this forum. I know I don't. I would say people downstate would care more.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 06-15-2010 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 05:04 PM

38,705 posts, read 98,063,681 times
Man, you are obsessed with this topic.

Chicago probably wouldn't be in the running because of the small capacity of the stadiums around here. More likely candidates would be Ann Arbor or Columbus or Madison; places with stadium capacity of ~100,000 or more.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Man, you are obsessed with this topic.

Chicago probably wouldn't be in the running because of the small capacity of the stadiums around here. More likely candidates would be Ann Arbor or Columbus or Madison; places with stadium capacity of ~100,000 or more.
Drover, feel free to write on any topic you wish. You don't need my approval, nor do you need to explain your extreme interest in any topic you like.

Do yourself a favor: if you don't like what I write (and clearly you don't since you've told me that innumerable times), just ignore it. If I start a thread, avoid pointing and clicking.

As for me, as noted, I'm perfectly happy to see you post on any thing that interests you.

BTW....championship games are not played in places like Columbus, Ann Arbor, or Madison...they're never on campus.

and the cities that get such games are more than happy to host them. They are major events, bring in $ and exposure.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 PM

Uhm... wow. Overreact much?

Old 06-16-2010, 12:18 AM

118 posts, read 180,832 times
I don't see why Chicago wouldn't be in the running. I'm sure the choice will be a business decision and Chicago could make a strong case. Soldier field holds enough people - if it worked out with the Bear's home schedule, it could happen.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,023,891 times
Chicago would be a good location for the Big Ten title game. Indianapolis, which currently hosts the basketball tournament, would be in the running with Lucas Oil Field. The Indiana teams aren't usually Big Ten title contenders, but it's only a 3 hour drive for OSU fans.

In the end, it's all about the $$$$ factor. I think the Big Ten would choose the title game location much like the Big 12 chose theirs (Dallas, a big advantage to the Big 12 south teams and more fans). Therefore, I think we'll either see the title game in Detroit or Indianapolis. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Last edited by Slanderous; 06-16-2010 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: Don't want to diss Indiana and Purdue football too much

Old 06-16-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Uhm... wow. Overreact much?
not in the least. as noted, you feel comfortable posting any way you wish. I have no desire to alter your free expression here one bit.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:51 AM

How magnanimous of you.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 AM

355 posts, read 865,615 times
Indy will probably get it, for some reason we seem to get any big event we want and usually do a pretty good job putting them on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago