Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:43 PM

124 posts, read 379,521 times

Advertisements

Clarification to you Jericho: I was addressing my "drop a house comment" to the poster who calls him/herself Chi Cool, not you. However, it was your post where you stated, "When I hear people make statement about black people at their beach, ...." that seemed to kick off the ours/theirs drift. Anyway, no harm, no foul on that score.

Links? Here are a few. If you want more, google "north avenue beach gang fight" for a plethora of additional stories.

Cop Says Thugs Taking Over At North Avenue Beach - cbs2chicago.com

http://www.chicagonow.com/.../fights-and-a-shooting-on-the-lakefront--welcome-to-summer.html (broken link)

Guardian Angels patrol North Avenue Beach | abc7chicago.com

There is definitley something going on with the bangers and for whatever reason they have taken their ghetto street drama to the lakefront. I stand by my assertion that I'd like to see it squashed. This applies to all races, creeds, and colors who would go out to the beach or any public gathering and exhibit behaviors that show zero social skills and purposeful intention to intimidate and disrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 04:19 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiguy1957 View Post
Clarification to you Jericho: I was addressing my "drop a house comment" to the poster who calls him/herself Chi Cool, not you. However, it was your post where you stated, "When I hear people make statement about black people at their beach, ...." that seemed to kick off the ours/theirs drift. Anyway, no harm, no foul on that score.

Links? Here are a few. If you want more, google "north avenue beach gang fight" for a plethora of additional stories.

Cop Says Thugs Taking Over At North Avenue Beach - cbs2chicago.com

http://www.chicagonow.com/.../fights-and-a-shooting-on-the-lakefront--welcome-to-summer.html (broken link)

Guardian Angels patrol North Avenue Beach | abc7chicago.com

There is definitley something going on with the bangers and for whatever reason they have taken their ghetto street drama to the lakefront. I stand by my assertion that I'd like to see it squashed. This applies to all races, creeds, and colors who would go out to the beach or any public gathering and exhibit behaviors that show zero social skills and purposeful intention to intimidate and disrupt.

Okay I get where you are coming from now, clearly I wouldn't want to be on a beach with "thugs" at it. Perhaps I was making this into a bigger issue then it needed to be, lol the summer heat must be getting to me . Oh and I didn't see that new user until now, I thought you were talking about me... its a shame when a troll with one post disrupts a moderatly civil discussion.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 PM

378 posts, read 1,288,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
Last I checked the beaches we have here in Chicago are "Public" meaning that any citizen in the city, or even outside the city can feel free to go to them. I don't care what "side" of the city you are from, you should still have the right to use the beach. And when you consider the poverty of the West Side id imagine most people there probably have limited Air Conditioning so what better way to cool off then to go for a swim at a public beach. This is not the deep south in the 1930s, this is 2010 and if we as a city are to ever get along then we must learn to live together. If all the "white people" Chiguy was talking about choose to stay at the beach rather then flee from a few black people then the beach as a whole would be a safer multi-cultural place.
I hope you feel like a really great person for making that post.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:42 PM

Is there some reason I am being attacked?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:25 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Is there some reason I am being attacked?

Self righteousness.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Thanks buddy, that's white of you.
I don't get whats self righteous about advocating for good race relations amongst all people...

Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,529 times
Quote:
Okay I get where you are coming from now, clearly I wouldn't want to be on a beach with "thugs" at it. Perhaps I was making this into a bigger issue then it needed to be, lol the summer heat must be getting to me . Oh and I didn't see that new user until now, I thought you were talking about me... its a shame when a troll with one post disrupts a moderatly civil discussion.
I took what Chiguy1957 wrote to mean "Thugs" and not to place blame on AA's in general. I have seen these "Thugs" and have been there on the beach when everyone who wasn't part of their group (which includes many people besides just "white folks") clear out. Good people of all ethnicities know when to walk away when they see trouble coming.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
I took what Chiguy1957 wrote to mean "Thugs" and not to place blame on AA's in general. I have seen these "Thugs" and have been there on the beach when everyone who wasn't part of their group (which includes many people besides just "white folks") clear out. Good people of all ethnicities know when to walk away when they see trouble coming.
I agree with you 100%, I simply mis-understood chiguy57. Thugs of all kinds are people I wouldn't like to hang around.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 PM

325 posts, read 235,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
When did the lakefront become the hood?

Was riding my bike down to the Eagles concert last night along the lake and between Fullerton and Oak Street Beach, it was like the westside moved east. There were a few CPD out there but not as I thought there would be but definitely wasn't a family atmosphere.
I'm not trying to be bigoted or anything, just making an observation.

Has it always been like this and have I just not noticed?
The Westside has no beaches, so where else would they go? It's also possible that the hood people you saw were from the South Side, Rogers Park, Uptown, Cabrini Green, Lathrop Homes, or even the suburbs. On a side note, just like the Dude, I hate the Eagles.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
The Westside has no beaches, so where else would they go?...
It's also possible that the hood people you saw were from the South Side, Rogers Park, Uptown, Cabrini Green, Lathrop Homes, or even the suburbs...
Sure it does. There is one in Humboldt Park at the lagoon.

There are beaches on the South Side and small beaches in Rogers Park as well as a beach on the edge of Uptown and Edgewater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: