Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:10 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times

Advertisements

If I attend UIC, do you think I'll have a chance at getting shot or mugged or something? I lived in South Chicago and the UIC area when I was about 10 years old. South Chicago is where I first lived when we arrived in Chicago. It was fine. Nothing happened to me except getting beat up at school for talking white. But besides that, I always felt fine. We had family in the area. Then I moved to the UIC area because my mom was finishing her bachelors. I had to attend an elementary school that was about 10-15 blocks away from Campus Housing. The area was really safe but I would always run home in fear of getting kidnapped because back then Chicago had kids getting kidnapped at a soaring rate. I didn't want to be one of them. Now I'm getting ready to graduate HS and I'm going to apply to UIC but I haven't lived in the area in more than six years. I heard of Chicago's increasing crime rate over the past few years. Is it really that bad? Do you think I will be safe? I'm not a punk or anything, I know how to defend myself but from what I hear this summer is the worst Chicago has had in awhile.

When I am visiting family to South Chicago, I always take the bus with my mom and sis and enjoy the sights and we're fine. I mind my own business, I don't act like a scared nerd. I act relaxed like the locals. Do you think it's the same way now? Maybe I'm overreacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
You are afraid of being kidnapped? As an adult? Are you serious?

Old 06-25-2010, 09:16 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You are afraid of being kidnapped? As an adult? Are you serious?
WTH No! I said I was as a CHILD. I'm asking is the area safe now? As in mugging, shooting, etc? What I'm really going to be scared about kidnapping now? Like what the?! Lol.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:51 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Havng gone to UIC myself many years ago, I would think the area is safer now. Many students live in the Taylor street area which I also think is safer now than it was. I don't consider UIC "South Chicago", whatever that is. Yes it is located on the south side but its very near to the Loop and so not very south. Some might consider it more the west side.

As far as crime goes I think you have to be watchful in the city anywhere you go, especially late at night. I would not hesitate going to UIC and would not be especially worried about safety.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:18 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Unless you really Chicago State, UIC is on the WEST SIDE and it pretty safe, almost to the point of boring and characterless...

Frankly, DESPITE dorms and such it remains a pretty crummy "campus", is grossly over priced for out of state students, and not a particularly good undergrad institution. I suppose if you scam a local address and go there on the cheap it might an ok deal, but then that brings up the issue of how you ethically want to hurt a state that is already in a bad way with regard to higher Ed funding...

Old 06-26-2010, 10:29 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
If I attend UIC, do you think I'll have a chance at getting shot or mugged or something? I lived in South Chicago and the UIC area when I was about 10 years old. South Chicago is where I first lived when we arrived in Chicago. It was fine. Nothing happened to me except getting beat up at school for talking white. But besides that, I always felt fine. We had family in the area. Then I moved to the UIC area because my mom was finishing her bachelors. I had to attend an elementary school that was about 10-15 blocks away from Campus Housing. The area was really safe but I would always run home in fear of getting kidnapped because back then Chicago had kids getting kidnapped at a soaring rate. I didn't want to be one of them. Now I'm getting ready to graduate HS and I'm going to apply to UIC but I haven't lived in the area in more than six years. .I heard of Chicago's increasing crime rate over the past few years Is it really that bad? Do you think I will be safe? I'm not a punk or anything, I know how to defend myself but from what I hear this summer is the worst Chicago has had in awhile.

When I am visiting family to South Chicago, I always take the bus with my mom and sis and enjoy the sights and we're fine. I mind my own business, I don't act like a scared nerd. I act relaxed like the locals. Do you think it's the same way now? Maybe I'm overreacting?
You heard that because the media has picked up on Chicago crime this year more than prior years. In reality, violent crime in Chicago is down 10% compared to last year, and last year the rates were down 30% from 10 years ago. There's obviously crime problems here, but as far as this situation, it's more media picking up stories that will get attention. They don't research any trends, they just put up stories about shootings. It's kind of ironic really. There are stories all over stating how the city is being overcome by a wave of violent crime this year. They don't tell you that violent crime is easily at its lowest rate since records started being taken decades ago.

I went to UIC about 9 years ago, and I never noticed anything unsafe about the campus. I know going to the south or west there were some issues, but not on campus.

If you were in the area 10 years ago and thought it was ok, you'll be fine now. I believe they tore the projects down to the south and west of the campus, which tends to lower crime even more.

The issues with Chicago in the news are because murder is up 5% from last year. They don't tell you that murder is still down 52% from its peak, and a gret deal from even 7-8 years ago.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:39 AM

14 posts, read 53,612 times
The UIC area is decently safe. You shouldn't have to worry. I've lived here for a year. Campus housing is a rip-off. If you can find rent for ~$450 and other bills that cause your monthly total bills to be about ~$550, you're better off doing that.

I must advise against attending UIC if you're a science major, though, because the lack of funding prevents the best and brightest (including me) from actually getting research experience.

I'm going to write up an article in maybe a few months touching on these facts as to how science majors should not attend UIC at all (unless they want to be doctors), as the costs exceed the benefits.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:22 PM

18 posts, read 70,204 times
UIC is a decent area. Both UIC and CPD patrol the area. There's not a whole lot of night life, so that might be why it's a fairly quiet campus.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 PM

422 posts, read 812,419 times
I started going to UIC in 1999 living in the dorms and it was never really bad but I can tell you it has gotten much better since then. It used to be that you couldn't feel safe walking down Taylor Street passed Racine because of the housing projects, and Roosevelt was fairly bad. Also before 2001 the Maxwell Street area was a very seedy place. Now you can walk on Taylor Street all the way from Halsted to Ashland and be just fine, Roosevelt has improved and the Maxwell Street area is a complete 180 from what it was and has become a rather hip area to be in.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:28 PM

70 posts, read 153,302 times
UIC area is high density with close proximity to downtown. Always be street smart. This is a big city. So many people talk about Lakeview, Lincoln Park and other trendy cosmopolitan neighborhoods as if they are Mayberry. A lot of people means a lot of opportunity for crime. Check your CPD Clear Path statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago