Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 16,645 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm swiss, 28 years old and i just have the dream to move with my hole familiy from switzerland to chicago. Why ? Chicago is very fascinated from the town. I love the people and the city itself.

So its hard work to move in an other coutry. New job, new home and of course the language: my wife doesn't speak english at the moment (she will try to learn in the near future) and i just have the feeling that my english isn't good enough for a job in the US.

Does any body have experience in moving to chicago from another country (perhaps europe) and have some ideas what i have to do, when i'll move.

I don't want to move in the near future, but in 1 perhaps 2 years. And live in the best city in the US

Have a nice day, and see you soon in Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,658 times
try contacting the swiss benevolent society for tips on moving to Chicago from your country
http://sbschicago.org/
Welcome!

Old 08-09-2006, 10:03 AM

Thanks

This will be a great help for me.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:14 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss0
Thanks

This will be a great help for me.
Try the Consulate as well, they are located in Chicago

http://www.eda.admin.ch/chicago_cg/e/home.html

Old 08-09-2006, 04:20 PM

Thanks

So i can hope, that i'll be in chicago in a few years.

I just made my last years of the bachelor (it, developer) before moving to chicago and go to the united center to support "my" bulls (i was there a few times, also in the 96, 97 NBA finals).

The moving will have 2 sides: The luck to be one of them, which can imigrate to the states (hopefully) and on the other hand the sadness to let my family and friends back in switzerland

Old 10-20-2006, 11:20 PM

30 posts, read 429,513 times
chicago is NOT a good city to live in! too much crime, violence, street gangs, and some of the RUDEST people in the country! if you want to live in a great city, you really might want to try new york city. 9i have been to new york city and actually, the hospitality in new york city is really not that bad.)

Old 12-07-2007, 01:08 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times
There are rude people and friendly people everywhere you go. You'll also meet people who are rude one day and friendly the next...I think it depends on who you are and what you are used to. It can't be generalized!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:50 PM

8 posts, read 30,442 times
Think twice if you think new yorkers are more polite then people from Chicago. New York is filled with the most vile people in all the country. Take it from me, I live there. It also has plenty of nice people too, but that comes at an extreme cost. If you're going to live in New York, and you expect to have polite friendly service were ever you go, let me know where that is, so I can go there too! I've found, paying more then $2000 a month in rent, for a one bedroom, gets you a noisy apartment on a busy street, neighbors who don't care about anyone but themselves, and grocery stores that are at best, dirty. Theres a general lack of caring here. My midwestern morals and ethics are extremely out of place here. So few people have any regard for anyone else, it still shocks me after 2 1/2 years. 1.5 years in Manhattan, and 1 in Brooklyn. Let me tell you. People in Brooklyn are ROUGH!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:57 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
chicago is NOT a good city to live in! too much crime, violence, street gangs, and some of the RUDEST people in the country! if you want to live in a great city, you really might want to try new york city. 9i have been to new york city and actually, the hospitality in new york city is really not that bad.)

WHAT??!!! LOL I hope you are kidding. I will agree with Chicago not being Honolulu or San Diego or Utopia for that matter, but come on its not that bad. We have a fair amount of crime, but surprisingly its localized in certain parts of the city, so here's the answer to that... STAY OUT OF THERE! There are too many good areas to be in to place yourself in a ghetto hood.

Rude people? I don't know about the rudest, I would say people here are more "clicky" than anything where if you are not in their "click" then they won't talk to you, where as places like San Fran, Seattle, and amazingly even NY, people are rather gabby to complete strangers as I found that out many times on the MTA listening to complete strangers going on about remodeling their homes, their family lives, vacationing in the Hamptons for the weekend and I didn't even know their names!

I will agree though that NY does have an edge on Chicago and pretty much all other cities in the world for that matter when it comes to opprotunity and pretty much everything else, but that is because it is so darn big, but come on now, Chicago isn't that bad for only having 2.9 million people vs. NY's 10.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Batman is a troll obviously. I actually thought he/she was banned before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago