Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:16 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
Petty Criminal?

First of all, "petty" (or otherwise) criminals aren't allowed to buy guns in the first place. So why do you think that a "petty" criminal would even try to register one knowing full well that he would be denied?

Why would you think that a "petty" criminal would have a gun in the first place if all he/she was up to was "petty" crime?

If someone has a gun illegally, then they're already involved some serious felonius criminal activity.

I find it amusing how you antis make up these hypothetical scenarios that exist only in your minds and project them on the reality of your alternate universe.
I wasn't making up situations in my head. If anything, I was thinking of a very specific situation and applying this situation to more general terms.

Say a guys buys a an once of weed and chops it up into grams and decides to sell it to a few friends and acquaintances? Now say he continues this behavior but now in larger quantities as he grows his customer base. He finds himself living the day-to-day lifestyle of a drug dealer but still nothing more than what a cop or criminologist might say, a "small time" drug dealer.

Say he's growing fearful of gangs in the area or fearful of other "larger time" dealers who are more serious about the game he's been playing. Or maybe he's just hanging around a lot of rough neighborhoods or nervous about the unsavory characters he's been working with.

So now, what does he do? He decides it's time to buy a gun for protection. He qualifies for legal gun ownership so why buy it illegally? Not every drug dealer has been to jail or has list of crimes the police have caught him committing. Not by a long shot, actually.

If he buys the gun LEGALLY and has it REGISTERED in his name, what did I say in my original post? Oh yeah..

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
A registered gun is better than a non-registered illegal gun. If a cop pulls you over, it's perfectly legal to have registered gun in the car so the cops is less likely to take you to the station. A petty criminal benefits from having his gun LEGAL..

Last edited by urza216; 10-08-2010 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 06:42 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
I'm glad that Chicago's ridiculous and unconstitutional gun ban was finally struck down. Did anyone with a brain in their head believe that banning guns would stop criminals from getting them? Hell, every other 13 year old boy in living in Englewood has one.

Did anyone find it funny that Daley contantly kept armed guards around but did not want ordinary, law-abiding citizens to have one in their home? The guy talks out of both sides of his neck. Thank goodness he's finally gone.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 PM

36 posts, read 75,693 times
urza216 and others like him or her are the type of people who takes a few instances of people doing wrong with handguns and then conclude that none should own them because we all will misuse them. They never talk about instances where guns saved good peoples lives from the animals roaming our streets nor will you hear it from the media only rarely. It's liberal thinking like this that has led to unconstitutional gun bans like those that were in Chicago and D.C. Liberals quite frankly want to regulate and control every aspect of our lives. Like the poster before me said, Daley wanted to ban guns, yet he had a 24 hour protection unit patroling his home and whereabouts. The same thing applies to the aldermen, who can carry a gun, but yet most are anti gun or just brain dead automatons who went along with what the master told them. By the way I am African American and I live on the south side of the city but I refuse to vote for the Democrats because of most of their stance on the 2nd amendment amongst other issues.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:14 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I wasn't making up situations in my head. If anything, I was thinking of a very specific situation and applying this situation to more general terms.

Say a guys buys a an once of weed and chops it up into grams and decides to sell it to a few friends and acquaintances? Now say he continues this behavior but now in larger quantities as he grows his customer base. He finds himself living the day-to-day lifestyle of a drug dealer but still nothing more than what a cop or criminologist might say, a "small time" drug dealer.

Say he's growing fearful of gangs in the area or fearful of other "larger time" dealers who are more serious about the game he's been playing. Or maybe he's just hanging around a lot of rough neighborhoods or nervous about the unsavory characters he's been working with.

So now, what does he do? He decides it's time to buy a gun for protection. He qualifies for legal gun ownership so why buy it illegally? Not every drug dealer has been to jail or has list of crimes the police have caught him committing. Not by a long shot, actually.

If he buys the gun LEGALLY and has it REGISTERED in his name, what did I say in my original post? Oh yeah..
Again, you're making the utterly preposterous assumption that a felon drug dealer with a gun is going to register his firearm "just to stay legal" just because he hasn't been caught yet. I'm not sure what planet you reside on, but drug dealers, regardless of their criminal record or lack thereof, aren't in the habit of practicing incremental legal compliance with gun restrictions.

Additionally, if such a "petty" drug dealer was pulled over with his "legal" firearm and discovered with his 3kg stash of weed, he would still be illegally in possesion of of a firearm because of the very nature that he would be a felon, permit or not. Registering his gun wouldn't buy him a thing in terms of lightening his penalty. The only thing it would do is put him under the radar, which is the opposite of what he would want to do.

Now you're really grabbing at straws, but it doesn't surprise me. That's exactly what antis do...make up these unlikely and absurd scenarios to further their agenda.

Last edited by ToneGrail; 12-06-2010 at 01:25 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 03:24 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,232 times
Also 48 States, yes 48, have some version of Concealed Carry. Yet IL. because of Chicago will never get it. It's a damn shame when one city can control a whole state. I can tell you without a doubt if we got CCW my wife would be signed up right away, but as long as we live in this State it'll probably never happen. So she's left with pepper spray and her wits to fend off potential attackers when I'm not around. Thanks for making us so much safer, Illinois the Nanny State.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:34 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
If any of you have read the book DREAMS FROM MY FATHER the author has an anecdotal story in there about a friend of his that made tons of money by going outside of Cook County and buying ammunition. He then brought this ammunition back to the hood in Chicago and sold it for an enormous profit. According to the author this friend of his accumulated so much cash that he was worried that he would be robbed and killed so he gave it all away.

It is ironic that the author that wrote this story still does not grasp the concept of how the "black market" works.

GL2

Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Lord, this guy is the king of boobs. Never let a crisis go to waste.

"Mayor Richard Daley expressed sadness and outrage in the wake of the Arizona shooting rampage, and said the incident is yet more evidence that stronger gun control is needed."

Daley: Respond to Ariz. shootings with tougher gun laws - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2011/01/daley-respond-to-ariz-shootings-with-tougher-gun-laws.html - broken link)

Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Silly daley

Old 01-11-2011, 02:53 AM

588 posts, read 1,800,232 times
Daley is truly clueless and just needs to be gone. Disgusting to use a tragedy to promote his own off base agenda.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Daley needs to shut his fat butt up. I wonder if he feels that this gun ban should apply to his personal bodyguards. What a hypocrite....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago