U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,280 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about opening a bar in the lakeview/lincoln park area( think b/w diversy and belmont, southport and clark). What I would like to hear, is what would anyone who lives or visits this area look for in a new bar. Thx in advance for all who reply.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 03:39 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,631,057 times
Just what the area needs. There's such a conspicuous dearth of bars there that you'd practically have the market cornered.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:51 PM

15 posts, read 32,418 times
How about one that doesn't cater exclusively to white, gay men? And also doesn't have it's really bad techno so loud that you can't have a conversation. If you had those two things- I knows droves of people who would literally flock to it.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,834,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarThoughts View Post
I am thinking about opening a bar in the lakeview/lincoln park area( think b/w diversy and belmont, southport and clark). What I would like to hear, is what would anyone who lives or visits this area look for in a new bar. Thx in advance for all who reply.
Ok, here is the typical formula for most bars in that area:

-Lots of flat scene TVs
-Specialize in showing the games of a Big-10 university
-Bad top 40 & hip-hop music that is played too loud
-Filled with former frat boys and sorority girls that graduated a couple of years ago
-Likely a faux-Irish theme

While these places seem to be pupular around those parts, it would be nice to see something different. Unfortunately most bars around there don't deviate much from that formula. Personally I would like to seem some more eclectic places open around there. Not sure how well they would do in that part of the city though.

To tell you the truth a big sports-themed bar with indoor cornhole would do well there. I was in Ohio and went to this huge bar in Akron that had people playing cornhole inside the place. The first thing I thought to myself was that if this place were in Wrigleyville it would be a huge hit. That would require a large and expensive space in Chicago though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresso_Fiend View Post
How about one that doesn't cater exclusively to white, gay men? And also doesn't have it's really bad techno so loud that you can't have a conversation. If you had those two things- I knows droves of people who would literally flock to it.
Dude, that is only in boys town. The rest of LP and LV is not like that.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:40 PM

1,950 posts, read 4,659,539 times
Have beer that doesnt suck on draft, have good bartenders (cant stress that enough), have at least one menu item which is very good (fries, burgers, brats, whatever) and dont try to get to fancy

Old 07-01-2010, 05:52 PM

11,288 posts, read 24,227,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresso_Fiend View Post
I don't think there's any gay bars between Diversey and Belmont, and Clark and Southport. You're getting very close in the Northeast corner, but once you get out around Racine and Wellington, it's crammed full of the same old corner bars.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:56 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,136,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I don't think there's any gay bars between Diversey and Belmont, and Clark and Southport...
If you count Halsted there are...

Lucky Horseshoe-gay
Parrot's-gay

Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 PM

8,520 posts, read 15,095,274 times
5lakes,

you nailed it.

I don't even like to go to my neighborhood bars because they all look alike, as you stated: Big screens, former frats,blah,blah, blah.....you nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Ok, here is the typical formula for most bars in that area:

-Lots of flat scene TVs
-Specialize in showing the games of a Big-10 university
-Bad top 40 & hip-hop music that is played too loud
-Filled with former frat boys and sorority girls that graduated a couple of years ago
-Likely a faux-Irish theme

While these places seem to be pupular around those parts, it would be nice to see something different. Unfortunately most bars around there don't deviate much from that formula. Personally I would like to seem some more eclectic places open around there. Not sure how well they would do in that part of the city though.

To tell you the truth a big sports-themed bar with indoor cornhole would do well there. I was in Ohio and went to this huge bar in Akron that had people playing cornhole inside the place. The first thing I thought to myself was that if this place were in Wrigleyville it would be a huge hit. That would require a large and expensive space in Chicago though.

Dude, that is only in boys town. The rest of LP and LV is not like that.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 PM

3,629 posts, read 7,704,669 times
Well geez i always thought of lakeview/Lincoln park as the "fancy" area. judging from some posts from this and past threads seems like just a frat dude sor. girl mecca.

BTW are there any good clubs there or just bars?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 PM

8,520 posts, read 15,095,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Well geez i always thought of lakeview/Lincoln park as the "fancy" area. judging from some posts from this and past threads seems like just a frat dude sor. girl mecca.

BTW are there any good clubs there or just bars?
Majority bars.

All of LV is not like that. I live in W. LV......we have more than enough bars but it's not like the Wriglyville area. Thank god.

Last edited by Ron.; 07-01-2010 at 09:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago