Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 02:28 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,810,773 times

Advertisements

Saw this on Facebook that Chicagoland has one of the best Data Center Technology Markets in the Nation; ranking above Silicon Valley.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/2/...ogy-developers

This is also related to the future of 5G, which one poster mentioned that Chicago has poised itself well to be a huge player in the emerging 5G market.

It is exciting seeing Chicago's name in the "Tech" conversation. If it can develop a niche in tech, that would be exciting. Especially since data center operations can use a lot of people trained in skilled labor, and could open a lot of tech training and then job opportunities to communities of need in the city. In addition, a market like this could (and looks like it already is) bring in a lot of financial benefit to the city and state.

Pretty exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 09:58 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,765,794 times
Actually, this isn't an entirely new thing. I believe that one of the reasons Chicago has become a leader in data centers is because of high frequency trading. Think, Citadel, Jump Trading, CME, etc. I think the current boom is due to different industries now, but I believe it is tangentially related to the rise of HFT over a decade ago.

Also, there is definitely no shortage of brilliant people looking to move to Chicago to work on this kind of stuff. Definitely a win for Illinois.

Old 02-27-2021, 02:35 PM

549 posts, read 400,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Saw this on Facebook that Chicagoland has one of the best Data Center Technology Markets in the Nation; ranking above Silicon Valley.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/2/...ogy-developers

This is also related to the future of 5G, which one poster mentioned that Chicago has poised itself well to be a huge player in the emerging 5G market.

It is exciting seeing Chicago's name in the "Tech" conversation. If it can develop a niche in tech, that would be exciting. Especially since data center operations can use a lot of people trained in skilled labor, and could open a lot of tech training and then job opportunities to communities of need in the city. In addition, a market like this could (and looks like it already is) bring in a lot of financial benefit to the city and state.

Pretty exciting.
Quantum Networks will be Chicago's future economy. We will be the nerve center as the Bay Area is with classical computing.`

Old 02-27-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Quantum Networks will be Chicago's future economy. We will be the nerve center as the Bay Area is with classical computing.`
Yes, I believe you were the poster mentioning this. I saw this on FB, because Pritzker had a recent sound byte on this and what it could be for Chicagoland and the state. I'm cautiously optimistic. If Chicago can be a new major player in the tech game, the city could reach new heights and may regain it's top tier prominence globally.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:55 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,220,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
I hope so, but I think if Chicago emerges as the research hub of quantum computing it will be a similar dynamic between Pittsburgh and robotics. The Bay Area is uniquely situated to be a destination work environment for mobile professionals like VCs and talented technologists.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I hope so, but I think if Chicago emerges as the research hub of quantum computing it will be a similar dynamic between Pittsburgh and robotics. The Bay Area is uniquely situated to be a destination work environment for mobile professionals like VCs and talented technologists.
Yeah, I agree. Good comparisons. There is no way Chicago will ever replace the Bay Area or ever have its tech reputation (at least not in our lifetime). For me the hope would be that Chicago can develop a nice tech niche (research hub of quantum computing), in the same vein as Pittsburgh has developed a nice tech niche. Developing a niche in a merging area of tech with the backbones that Chicago already have, would be a huge win for the city's future.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:52 PM

549 posts, read 400,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The goals of all involved also focuses on retention and not simply Chicago becoming a pipeline to feed the nation with talent. I've heard and read from various entities that securing Hyde Park/Bronzeville as the defacto hub of STEM careers in the quantum field is a priority. Chicago will be where the future quantum workforce, business leaders, entrepreneurs and educators will receive their education/training. They aren't only focused on the academic/research aspect but also building a business/innovation/industrial ecosystem locally for quantum initiates. With UChicago having the only School of Molecular Engineering in the nation, 2 of 5 national labs and the Chicago Quantum Exchange it is already positioned well ahead of other markets.

Whether or not all this comes to fruition or how it shapes our economic development is unknown but David Awschalom has stated that what is taking place in Chicago is very similar to the early investments/partnerships and collaborations that were vital to the foundation of Silicon valley. I don't see how Chicago emerges 2nd fiddle to anywhere else nationally if they implement their strategy as planned. One thing that is certain is we will transition from classical to quantum computing and Chicago is at the forefront of the field.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:32 AM

226 posts, read 587,195 times
Quote:
Yeah, I agree. Good comparisons. There is no way Chicago will ever replace the Bay Area or ever have its tech reputation (at least not in our lifetime). For me the hope would be that Chicago can develop a nice tech niche (research hub of quantum computing), in the same vein as Pittsburgh has developed a nice tech niche. Developing a niche in a merging area of tech with the backbones that Chicago already have, would be a huge win for the city's future.
The Pittsburgh analogy is interesting both because it had an indisputable lead in robotics in the 90s and Naughties, but that position has been quickly equaled (and maybe surpassed) by Boston and Silicon Valley. A couple big missteps (e.g., Uber hollowing out significant pockets of CMU's robotics researchers) and the migration of robotics into other niche areas (e.g., biomed, mining, AV) means that Pittsburgh's overall edge diminished quickly.

All this is unfortunate as I LOVE Pittsburgh, but with increasing workforce mobility and specialization, it's hard to imagine Chicago having an enduring leadership role in quantum computing. I think new technological initiatives become multi-polar much more quickly unless there is massive vertical integration (especially manufacturing and finance--more difficult when thinking about what a quantum computing "industry" would look like in any case) nothing becomes too-big-to-challenge. Pittsburgh never had that and I think will now be a very niche player in robotics for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Tombstoner; 03-01-2021 at 10:05 AM..

Old 03-01-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
The Pittsburgh analogy is interesting both because it had an indisputable lead in robotics in the 90s and Naughties, but that position has been quickly equaled (and maybe surpassed) by Boston and Silicon Valley. A couple big missteps (e.g., Uber hollowing out significant pockets of CMU's robotics researchers) and the migration of robotics into other niche areas (e.g., biomed, mining, AV) means that Pittsburgh's overall edge diminished quickly.

All this is unfortunate as I LOVE Pittsburgh, but with increasing workforce mobility and specialization, it's hard to imagine Chicago having an enduring leadership role in quantum computing. I think new technological initiatives become multi-polar much more quickly unless there is massive vertical integration (especially manufacturing and finance--more difficult when thinking about quantum computing in any case) nothing becomes too-big-to-challenge. Pittsburgh never had that and I think will now be a very niche player in robotics for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine Chicago as a leader in this, but that is mainly because Chicago is not really analogous to "tech." I think having University of Chicago as a leader and backing this would help, but if this becomes big, will it eventually migrate to other areas (like Silicon Valley)? I don't know the answer to this.

If it becomes big and Chicago becomes "a" player in the game (which it seems like it is now), I think that would still be a win. If UChicago can become a major training hub, it sounds like Chicagoland already has lots of Data Centers in place, which could be a natural landing place for trainees, that should at least keep Chicago as a player in this game.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:15 AM

226 posts, read 587,195 times
Quote:

If it becomes big and Chicago becomes "a" player in the game (which it seems like it is now), I think that would still be a win. If UChicago can become a major training hub, it sounds like Chicagoland already has lots of Data Centers in place, which could be a natural landing place for trainees, that should at least keep Chicago as a player in this game.
Of course UChicago may be a huge leader in advancing theory and practice, but again, I wonder what a quantum computing "industry"/jobs generator looks like. Any leadership in theory and practice would quickly disperse to other data center-heavy areas in the nation, of which they are dozens. It's a bit like being a leader in "marketing" or "labor law." It may be possible as an academic specialty for awhile, but the principles are easily adoptable everywhere. Not seeing where the industry is (and honestly, I could be thinking about this all wrong, but would love someone to point this out).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago