Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 AM

320 posts, read 955,000 times

Advertisements

Go Padres.
Low payroll, team of unknowns. I'd love to see them top the Phillies or Cards in a playoff series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I've received 2 more e-mails from the Cubs, imploring me to buy some merchandise...and the last time I checked, I still live in MA; I know that it's just mass marketing, but perhaps they should weed out the non-locals..
How'd you end up on this mailing list anyway? Did you subscribe? As for reaching out beyond the local market, the Cubs is one of those teams that has a broad fan base all over the country, so they'll certainly reach out to any out-of-market fans that have reached out to the Cubs via mailing list subscriptions and the like. Besides, it costs them practically nothing to send you an e-mail once they have your address. But it would cost them money to try to filter out the non-locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
My gut impression at the trade announcement was that "they traded the wrong guys, they were still performing well, etc"...but I don't know anything anymore. I do know that they're stuck with Soriano, Zambrano, Fukudome, etc, but they have no one to blame but themselves, especially after the Milton Bradley fiasco.
When a team goes into rebuilding mode, they trade away the better players first because they're the ones that can bring something of value in return. When rebuilding, even the good players need to be shown the door if they can't build chemistry together.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
Unbelievable. Any kind of reply civilized or othewise would be wasted.
Then why did you bother responding at all? Oh wait -- because it's a thread about the Cubs so naturally Sox fans just have to keep chiming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
Just let me say that I look forword to some day tapping you on the shoulder and then for at least a moment you will be forced to breathe the same air as me.
Just let me say this is exactly the kind of "ha ha, I'm gonna make you pay attention to ME!!" douchebaggery I expect of a stereotypical Sox fan.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How'd you end up on this mailing list anyway? Did you subscribe? As for reaching out beyond the local market, the Cubs is one of those teams that has a broad fan base all over the country, so they'll certainly reach out to any out-of-market fans that have reached out to the Cubs via mailing list subscriptions and the like. Besides, it costs them practically nothing to send you an e-mail once they have your address. But it would cost them money to try to filter out the non-locals.

When a team goes into rebuilding mode, they trade away the better players first because they're the ones that can bring something of value in return. When rebuilding, even the good players need to be shown the door if they can't build chemistry together.
I bought 2 tickets to Cub games this year, so I guess I'm on their marketing list for life. I lived in WI in the late '90s and went to a couple of Bucks games, and I still receive e-mails from Milwaukee.

I don't think that I'll be back in Chicago until September ( maybe), so I guess that I'm finished with Wrigley for this year. Attending a Cubs game when they're 20 games out of first would probably be pointless, as there will be more people watching the Bears at the bars outside the park.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
When the Sox were on their World Series run, did you see people in Cubs jerseys in south side bars cheering for the opposing team?
Absolutely. Not on the south side though; they were out here in the western suburbs.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
This did not take long again. Less than 24 hours this time though.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
This did not take long again. Less than 24 hours this time though.
Are you referring to my post? Its a post about the Cubs if that's not obvious already.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Are you referring to my post?...
Nope. The one I am referring to needs not be mentioned again.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
The cubs are terrible. Good business, terrible team, same story. When I think of the cubs I think of a team run totally the opposite of "money ball" teams. With moneyball you are supposed to find weaknesses in the market, and exploit them. The cubs by contrast take position players in a market saturated with talent, and they over pay them. Its just comical.

And I have no sympathy for the cubs and the 2008 debacle. Who could not cheer against a team and a fan base like that. Im sorry but unless you root for the New York yankees, you have no business proclaiming the world series already won before the MANNYWOOD even steps off the tarmac at ohare.

Ding dongs writing books like "this is the year" and antics like the preists spraying holy water on the dug out were just over the top, and at least from a non cubs fan perspective, made it that much easier to ROOT AGAINST THE CUBS, and this is coming from someone who loaths everything about the DOYERS. Cubs fans got no one to blame but themselves, and a good amount of them showed what post strike/ 1998 fans they were.

All the old timers and Anyone who knows cubs history knows the cubs laid a similar egg in 84 and would not dare as to do something so foolish as claim a world series victory before the play offs even started. It just makes you look like an arse.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The cubs are terrible. Good business, terrible team, same story. When I think of the cubs I think of a team run totally the opposite of "money ball" teams. With moneyball you are supposed to find weaknesses in the market, and exploit them. The cubs by contrast take position players in a market saturated with talent, and they over pay them. Its just comical.

And I have no sympathy for the cubs and the 2008 debacle. Who could not cheer against a team and a fan base like that. Im sorry but unless you root for the New York yankees, you have no business proclaiming the world series already won before the MANNYWOOD even steps off the tarmac at ohare.

Ding dongs writing books like "this is the year" and antics like the preists spraying holy water on the dug out were just over the top, and at least from a non cubs fan perspective, made it that much easier to ROOT AGAINST THE CUBS, and this is coming from someone who loaths everything about the DOYERS. Cubs fans got no one to blame but themselves, and a good amount of them showed what post strike/ 1998 fans they were.

All the old timers and Anyone who knows cubs history knows the cubs laid a similar egg in 84 and would not dare as to do something so foolish as claim a world series victory before the play offs even started. It just makes you look like an arse.
Awww, man, why'd you have to say all that? They're going to blame Sox fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: