Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 02:49 PM

774 posts, read 2,495,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
In the city of chicago highly unlikely. The only heavily republican, highly christian "values" city in the area is wheaton. They have turn of the century historic houses on the north side of town. Wheaton also has wheaton college (highly regarded christian college) plus christian grammar and high schools. They go as far as city laws that don't allow liquor stores or taverns in the city limits, doesn't even allow the advisement of alcohol anywhere. Places like chili's nationwide say "bar and grill" under the name, wheaton made them remove that from the sign outside of the restaurant. Heck wheaton has more churches per capita per square mile then any other city in the nation (actual trivial pursuit question)

Chicago is a blue collar, working class democratic city. If you want a walking with blinders, Ned Flanders experience, wheaton is about your only option. Or move to the south.
Even Wheaton's conservative reputation is fairly overstated at this point in time - most of that is based on past reputation and the mere presence of Wheaton College. Its Republican leanings are more based on economics and tax issues as opposed to social conservativism these days. A conservative would certainly feel comfortable there, but it's not an evangelical/wear-your-religion-on-your-sleeve type of place any more. If you plopped Wheaton outside of Atlanta or Dallas, it would likely be considered to be the "liberal" suburb.

I also think that a number of people are understating Chicago's liberalism and overstating its "blue collar" quotient. It's much closer to NYC and SF in terms of politics and economic demographics than its neighbors in the Midwest.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 08:01 AM

80 posts, read 302,383 times
OP, I posted the election results for you. Do some work by clicking on the name of your favorite presidential candidate, find the places where he got the most votes, then starting researching those places for aesthetics.

Yes, Tempest, Catholics are Christians. What you mean is Protestants. They are also Christians. Often they employ the quaint habit of appropriating the name of the religion to themselves.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 AM

36 posts, read 93,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelike View Post
OP, I posted the election results for you. Do some work by clicking on the name of your favorite presidential candidate, find the places where he got the most votes, then starting researching those places for aesthetics.

Yes, Tempest, Catholics are Christians. What you mean is Protestants. They are also Christians. Often they employ the quaint habit of appropriating the name of the religion to themselves.
That did help a lot. It looks to me that virtually all of the Cook County suburbs are significantly more liberal than what I'm used to. That said, there is a difference between blue-collar union-loving liberalism and latte-sipping, social liberalism.

What's interesting is that even Downer's Grove and Naperville both went for Obama in '08, Naperville by a hefty margin (Downer's Grove was considerably closer). This all leaves me with the feeling that though Chicago has pockets of conservatism, there really are very few, if any, conservative "hotbeds."

Old 08-06-2010, 08:27 PM

332 posts, read 524,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCO View Post
What's interesting is that even Downer's Grove and Naperville both went for Obama in '08, Naperville by a hefty margin (Downer's Grove was considerably closer). This all leaves me with the feeling that though Chicago has pockets of conservatism, there really are very few, if any, conservative "hotbeds."
The presidential elections from '08 might be slightly skewed b/c of the home-state bump, so there might be Obama inflation there b/c he's from Illinois.

That said, it sounds like social conservative is more important to you than fiscal conservative. Another area to research/consider might be northwest Indiana.

Just please make sure for the sanity of both of us to not choose my very liberal far north side neighborhood of Edgewater

Old 08-22-2010, 05:49 AM

422 posts, read 812,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCO View Post
Which parts of Chicago are the most conservative? I assume that some of the suburbs like Wheaton and Downers Grove would be the best bets, but what are the most conservative areas closest to the city? We'd like an area where at least a significant part of the population shares our conservative values (pro-life, against same-sex marriage, low taxes, traditionally religious, etc.). I know that the Chicago area on the whole is quite liberal, but what areas are not?
I know a number of conservatives who live within Chicago city limits and are just fine, both friends and relatives. It really depends on what your standards are, if you absolutely cannot tolerate being a political minority living in Chicago may not be for you but the reality is I think its much easier being a conservative in a big city than a liberal in rural red state America.

I used to live in the John Hancock Center in downtown Chicago, the building was its own voting precient and 40% of them voted for John McCain, that's very high for city and probably due to the affluent residents in the building.

In terms of just regular neighborhoods though within city limits try living on the southwest side near Midway Airport or out by O'Hare Airport, both areas have about 40% of voters voting republican even if their party affiliation is Democrat. Even many Democrats in these neighborhoods are rather culturally conservative. In terms of traditionally religious Chicago has plenty of that especially in the Catholic communities.

The city neighborhoods I would recommend to you are: Garfield Ridge, Clearing, O'Hare, Norwood Park, Edison Park, Beverly, Mt. Greenwood, East Side, Hegewisch. Not conservative hotbeds by any stretch but with substantial Republican voting minorities and are filled with fairly socially conservative people. Actually if you go on the City of Chicago Board of elections websites there are a hand full of voting preceints within city limits where McCain won by a margain of votes you can count on one hand, all of them in one of the aforementioned neighborhoods. These are nieghborhoods that are safe and tree lined with older housing stock (meaning older than suburban sprawl), often beautiful housing.

Last edited by chicago103; 08-22-2010 at 06:03 AM..

Old 08-30-2010, 03:16 PM

376 posts, read 488,887 times
If you want conservative-friendly, and tree-lined streets, I'd go for Naperville (near downtown) or Glen Ellyn. Dupage County tends to be center-right. I'm not as sure about other areas, but generally the far west and sourthwest suburbs would be your best bet. I can't speak to the city of Chicago more than some of the above posters.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
Rockford, Peoria, Springfield, Freeport, all those might have more of what you are looking for.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 PM

269 posts, read 717,142 times
I'm all for respecting people's views... but picking somewhere to live based on how "conservative" people are stinks of bigotry. To me it sounds like "I don't want to live near gays and blacks".

Old 08-31-2010, 09:56 PM

110 posts, read 250,727 times
DuPage County, as a whole, is very conservative, to the point where most elections have only Republican candidates. That being said, you will find quite a few of the towns are more Catholic rather than the protestant Christain that the Republicans appreciate, and the under 60 set is reasonably tolerant of gays and supportive of the idea of gay marriage. If you'd like, PM me and I can get you contact info for a DuPage county Republican party meeting. My sister is very involved with them.

I would try Elmhurst. It is reasonably close to the city (borders O'hare)

And Diws, I don't know how you could think Naperville is near downtown?

Last edited by deadplant; 08-31-2010 at 10:07 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadplant View Post

And Diws, I don't know how you could think Naperville is near downtown?
Pretty sure he/she meant near Naperville's downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago