U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,974 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently was in Chicago attending a funeral for an uncle. He used to live in the Wrightwood section of Ashburn. As a kid from the East Coast, I remember visiting him & his family during the summers in the 70s and 80s. I'm probably being overly nostalgic, but I always thought Wrightwood was neat. Some of the more enduring memories were going to White Sox games, running around the park near St. Thomas More Church and having wonderful pizza. Chicago seemed so magical to a small-town kid like myself.

I went to mass at St. Thomas More after the funeral and was struck by how old the parish had become. There were no young families at mass. I know my uncle spoke of a murder in the early 90s with perceived racial overtones that led many folks to bolt the neighborhood, including my uncle who left after he retired from the city. However, I was under the impression that Chicago had residency requirements for its employees. Where did all the city workers go? It seemed like such a stable community with friendly people, but I was pretty young at the time.

Any information would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:40 PM

2,298 posts, read 5,887,618 times
Same old story. Black folks moved in, white folks moved out. There aren't going to be many younger people in the parish because there aren't too many black Roman Catholics. There's still plenty of city employees, most of them are just black now. Overall, it's a still a decent neighborhood in many ways. Clean, well maintained, most of the storefronts are still occupied. The big problem are the regular gang shootings these days.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,390 times
Default Forced out

Tommy more was an awesome area to grow up in a kids we could safely walk from western ave to kedzie sadly when the change began many fled, home values massively dropped new families moved in by dark of night. Bogan high school served the area for years now is over 95% African American closed campus uniform wearing institution. This goes to the caliper of its current residents. Homes look somewhat decent but it is a hood in every sence of the word. We left when my parents worried for their safety walking from the garage to he house. The neighborhood had such strong bonds that unil this day many neighbors keep In touch. It's hard not to stereotype but to be honest now as an adult If our area in which we live started to change the lesson I learned from the whole experience is be the first ones out.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:59 PM

6,374 posts, read 10,945,004 times
Sad to hear this. I grew up next parish over (St. Denis). When the rule came into effect that city workers must live within city boundaries, they came flooding into our neighborhood. But the most recent time I was back there, it didn't seem like that was the case any more. It's greatly changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago