Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:20 PM

577 posts, read 669,686 times

Advertisements

You can easily live on $25k. The problem I find with a lot of Americans (I've lived in the US 10 years) is that they don't realise how much unnecessary money they spend. I mean, if you're rich, go for it, but otherwise, here are some tips:

- Cheap cell phone plan. Very decent Virgin Mobile smartphone for under $100, $35 a month for unlimited internet, texting and 200 minutes call time
- Eating out. In England, people generally only eat out as a special treat, maybe once a month and maybe fast food/pizza once a week. If you like fancy food, look up the recipes online (so easy) and make it yourself. Cooking is fun and easier than people think. I'm not an expert cook but I make a Mongolian Beef or a pasta sauce or a curry, for about a third the price of a restaurant, that tastes just as good once I've given it a few goes and refined it. It's not sorcery, it's just adding the right ingredients together.
- Electricity. If you're not in the room, don't have a light on.
- Cable. Don't bother with it. TV is mostly terrible anyway. Download the good shows or get them on DVD.
- Drinks. find places that do specials. And don't let people guilt trip you into thinking that $1 tip per drink isn't enough.
- Rent. Craigslist has plenty of very nice rooms in good areas like Lakeview and Lincoln Park for less than $600 with 1-2 roommates.
- Car. It's Chicago, you don't need one. (Cars are ridiculously expensive to run anyway)
- Taxis. It's 24 hr public transport, you don't really need taxis.
- Coupons. I know people who spend half what they would be, just by using coupons
- Buying groceries in bulk, online. Another great way to save money.
- Ebay/craigslist - Buy your things from here, not from stores, and you'll cut costs in half.
- Health Insurance - Personally, I'm risking it because come Jan '14 when the ACA comes into effect, the cost for me to buy it will be reduced from about $300 to about $90 a month.
- Going out and "doing stuff". Yes there are lots of cool things to do in Chicago, but some are free (zoo, beach, general wandering around looking at the wonderful architecture) and others can be appreciated a lot more if you only do them once in a while. With the amount of stuff available at our fingertips these days, there's really no excuse for "being bored", unless you crave human company, in which case organize things with friends/family which aren't expensive. It's about the company you're with, not what you're doing/where you are.

These are just some ideas I have if you want to live on a budget, anyway

Last edited by jwuk45; 05-15-2013 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:02 AM

541 posts, read 912,627 times
West Logan Square safe?

I think its 50/50.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:43 PM

230 posts, read 385,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
West Logan Square safe?

I think its 50/50.
At least as safe as where I'm at now.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times
10k a year

Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,516 times
I lived in Chicago on about 32K,and I didnt feel broke with or without roommates.
and still was able to go to the bars and nice restaraunts and save like 400 a month

My rents was 750 with util incl(south loop-printers row)
Cell phone was 30 bucks a month 450 min with 500 mb why does everyone need unlimited data
food was about 200 a month I brung a a lunch to work most days and did not eat breakfast or ate a light breakfast.
100 for transportation
15 for shared internet
25 for the occasional zip or shared car.
35 for Gym.
150 for health insurance
this left me with about 695 to split between savings and fun( restaurants,bars,movies festival)

out of a budget of about 2000

tips I usually didnt go out in the winter so I saved and invested more heavily(I hate cold weather)
also invest your winter bar money in stocks and party with the returns in the summer,if you loose your investment
it was just bar money anyway.

share internet,eat soy and chicken and vegetables as your food to survive. or buy cheap meat
only go to fancy restaurants for social gatherings or dates
pre game to limit the amount drinks you buy at the bar.

done easily

Old 05-17-2013, 03:50 PM

230 posts, read 385,939 times
We have to be careful to see our suggestions as merely that - suggestions - instead of the right or wrong way to live. Many of us do not have children or other dependents, massive debt, major medical issues, etc. That quickly saps any extra money we might have at the end of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago