Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 25,353 times

Advertisements

If you have a choice living/working in either metro Chicago area or Metro Dallas area, which city do you prefer?

Our situation: asian immigrants, mid thirties with two yound kids, wife stays home, pretty much suburban type. Schools are very important to us. I work in IT, and Chicago offers more opportunities in my specific field, and the job opportunity may offer somewhat upside potential. However, suburb to downtown commute and housing price (our ceiling is $350k) really sting me. On the flip side, surburban Dallas offers very affordable housing, good commute (10-50 minutes depending). The downside with the specific opportunity is little upside potential, little chance to move around, although the employer is very stable. BTW, my three year old really loves snow

Any intelligent suggestions out there? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 05:27 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Lived in the Chicago burbs for 3 years. Spend many a night on business in Dallas, well more like Addison, Plano, areas.

I would take Chicago hands down. The negative is home prices in the Chicagoland area, but lookout for property taxes and homeowners insurance in Dallas (Black Mold)

You state you are Asian. The Chicago burb of Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, Rolling Meadows has a high Asian population.

I just like Chicago, plus I also think it's safer than Dallas.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:44 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,096 times
I live in Chicago and I've visited Dallas twice for a good length of time (and most of Texas) but never permanently lived there. It's warmer in Dallas, but from what I was told, it's a lot colder than Houston, so you don't get the oppressively humid summers.

I agree about the cheaper housing prices in Dallas, but Georgia is correct regarding the property taxes. I was looking to purchase a home with similar square footage as what I have in Chicago and was surprised that the yearly taxes were higher in Dallas.

In my personal opinion, I found that there are more opportunities for work and a lot more entertainment/activities available in Chicago than in Dallas. The downside is the cold winters, but this year has been much milder than most with the coldest daytime temps in the low 30's and not a lot of snow.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:05 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Dallas is very hot in the summer, humidity and all, its oppressive. Take a trip down there in late July and youll see what Im talking about. Winters are somewhat mild, but they get some bad cold spells and ice storms as well, but on a whole their winters are better and summers are worse. Jobs pay better here, but the housing is more expensive. Downtown Dallas is decent, but Chicago takes the cake, far and away. Both cities have great restaurants, but for quality and quantity, another victory for Chicago. The arts and sports scenes are tied IMO, but we have an extra baseball team and more historical teams, if that means anything to you. Well, Id put the Bears and Cowboys on the same historical plain... As for being Asian, you might also look into Glendale Heights, they have a decent sized Asian community as well, but the town might not be what youre looking for, its very blue collar. Dont know if youre white or blue collar, just thought Id throw that in for ya. Best of luck in your decision!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:59 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
The downside is the cold winters, but this year has been much milder than most with the coldest daytime temps in the low 30's and not a lot of snow.
I will have to ammend my previous statement as last night temperatures dipped to the low teens with a high today of 21 degrees F. This is still not as cold as some winters have been. If you can handle this, and keep in mind that Chicago doesn't close down for the winter like some other cities do (you just bundle up in more winter clothes), you will enjoy living here. Spring, Summer and Fall are the best in Chicago of any big city I've visited (and I've visited many!).

Old 01-16-2007, 01:56 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
You cant beat the lake,buildings,charm,restaraunts,culture of Chicago.Dallas has NO character what so ever,and reminds me of one huge strip mall run amok.The summers are endless and humid hot.Chicago of course has its down sides,and no one moves here for the weather(though many of us prefer seasons)but I always find Dallas,dull-dull-dull zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 01-16-2007, 02:03 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
You cant beat the lake,buildings,charm,restaraunts,culture of Chicago.Dallas has NO character what so ever,and reminds me of one huge strip mall run amok.The summers are endless and humid hot.Chicago of course has its down sides,and no one moves here for the weather(though many of us prefer seasons)but I always find Dallas,dull-dull-dull zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Agreed, you summed it up pretty much. The choice is Chicago hands down. I've been stuck here in and around Dallas in the IT industry for the past 10 years for a variety of reasons. This city is dull.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 PM

4 posts, read 25,353 times
Default Appreciate Your Feedback

Really appreciate the feedback from all of you, Georgia, ITChick, Steve-o, nanannie, and Ankharu. I agree with everything you said, although in my specific case the pay is just several $k different. My job location will be in downtown Chicago, about 15 min walk to the train station. What's the chance of buying a house (less than $350k, greater than 2000ft, not requiring much update) in a decent surburb area within 35 minute train ride to downtown? Plus, what is the chance of getting a parking permit in the train station?

Moving is a big deal. But life is life... And thank you all!

Old 01-17-2007, 01:41 AM

781 posts, read 1,619,346 times
Direct train from Aurora within Naperville School district might be the most affordable option for you in Chicagoland.

Just make sure you are in the Naperville School District, even though you will have an Aurora address.

The closer you get to the city, the more expensive it gets. There may be other areas. I lived in this one and it was a pocket of affordability.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:59 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Lots of nice burbs' to choose from.I would check this site further and get some ideas of the different suburbs.Alot of good schools in various towns as well -Glen Ellyn,Elmhurst,Or Park Ridge come to mind as really resonable commute with great schools.You do get more house for you money in Dallas though.I hope you can pay a visit and check which town feels like "home" Good luck to you and welcome to Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago