Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times

Advertisements

from a 1994 Reader, talk about "I guess you didn't see THAT coming" (or this guy was lying through his teeth):

The Panic in Wicker Park | Feature | Chicago Reader

..."We never feared the newly moneyed class here," he continued. "We needed them, and they come in all colors. The community will remain what it's always been--a solid percentage of lower middle class with a lot of working poor and some newly emerging middle class. I think we've passed the critical period of rampant gentrification. We just don't have a 'Lincoln Park product' here--housing that's going to go into the stratosphere. We still have new little shops and services that appeal to the community. We're not going to get 'honky-tonked' by out-of-towners. This area brings every man to his knees--it's a great equalizer. You can meet yourself walking down Milwaukee Avenue. 'Bucker Park' has a force which defies an organized development pattern, an energy that defies typical yuppification and will continue to do so."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 03:19 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Bucker Park? Big surprise that didnt catch on ...

Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Bucker Park? Big surprise that didnt catch on ...
LOL.

I did find the article enlightening as it really does give you a better sense of what was being considered "Wicker Park" before it really took off as a real-estate brand - and that would essentially be a few blocks right around the park itself.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
"We're not going to get 'honky-tonked' by out-of-towners."

But you did and by suburbanites too. Money talks.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
LOL.

I did find the article enlightening as it really does give you a better sense of what was being considered "Wicker Park" before it really took off as a real-estate brand - and that would essentially be a few blocks right around the park itself.
I tried to explain this to a co-worker a few years ago how Bucktown was once a much larger neighborhood than Wicker Park.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 AM

See, I think Bucktown really still is a much larger neighborhood, but I don't live there & I grudgingly have come to accept it's pretty much turned into a quasi (or wanna-be) "new money" neighborhood.

Money definitely talks, but the City natives in Wicker Park were rubes, the existing latino folks and newcoming artists all. to quote the sage Rodney King - if they could have just learned to get along.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:17 PM

Wow, the area around Division and Pulaski is Wicker Park now? :

"Chicago fire fighters are on the scene of a fire in a garage in the Wicker Park neighborhood, officials said.

Fire fighters were called to the fire on the 4300 block of West Division Street at 2:10 p.m., said Richard Rosado, a spokesman for the department."

Fire in garage in Wicker Park injures firefighter - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/10/fire-in-garage-in-wicker-park-injures-firefighter.html - broken link)

Old 10-27-2010, 02:31 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Wow, the area around Division and Pulaski is Wicker Park now? :

"Chicago fire fighters are on the scene of a fire in a garage in the Wicker Park neighborhood, officials said.

Fire fighters were called to the fire on the 4300 block of West Division Street at 2:10 p.m., said Richard Rosado, a spokesman for the department."

Fire in garage in Wicker Park injures firefighter - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/10/fire-in-garage-in-wicker-park-injures-firefighter.html - broken link)
Chicago Breaking News is a great site for updated news articles for the Chicagoland area, but that website is extremely notorious for not naming Chicago neighborhoods correctly way too often! And of course, using the incorrect boundaries for a neighborhood, which I still believe should be reflected by where railroad lines and former frieght lines run.

I remember one or 2 years ago, there was a very testy exchange on a comments section of a CBN article where a crime(sorry I don't remember what it was about anymore) actually occurred in Humboldt Park(in the area inbetween North Ave. and the old RR line/'Bloomingdale Trail', and which technically is on the Humboldt Park side of the Humboldt Park/Logan Square border, and when the author of the article described the crime as happening in Logan Square, more than just a few residents in south Logan Square vented their anger at the author and the editor of that website. The editor briefly intervened in the comments section, and made a comment saying that his neighborhood maps showed it was in Logan Square, and stupidly defended calling it that. It's sad that way too often, I see city maps that do not have the proper spelling for city neighborhoods, nor its proper boundaries. Don't get me started how many times I've had to correct people on the proper spelling of the Mont Clare neighborhood! (and it's very sad how often I see Flickr users misspell that neighborhood's name)

Old 10-27-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
...And of course, using the incorrect boundaries for a neighborhood, which I still believe should be reflected by where railroad lines and former frieght lines run...
So are you for resurrecting old neighborhood names like Grayland that still have metra stops named after them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago