Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 AM

12 posts, read 51,533 times

Advertisements

I am a 22/F from southwest Michigan currently searching for teaching job in Chicago. I am also looking for housing as well and came across a listing for the following address:

California at Division (loc: California at Division Chicago IL US - Google Maps)

I have read some of the other postings about the Humbolt Park area but I'm still a little confused about whether or not the neighborhood is safe. It seems to get mixed reviews depending on what street you live on...so I want to know if this street is safe and the general vibe of the area. I have a possible job opportunity in the Garfield Park area and would like to close if that comes through. Any help will be much appreciated!!

Last edited by linicx; 09-21-2009 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,840,748 times
Default teaching in garfield park?

If you can work in Garfielf Park that area will be nothing at division and california. There are a lot of gangs, mostly puerto ricans around california and division. They are nice people for the most part and will respect you if you respect them. Some have even invited me to drink with them as I was walking in the area while going from the California Clipper to the Continental (both bars).

I would normally advise a 22f from southwest michigan to steer clear of that area but if you can handle garfield park you can handle a few gangbanger neighbors. Typically, a girl your age should stay east of western in that area.

Also, that area is the humboldt park neighborhood which is part of the west town community. Wicker Park exists only east of western. There is no west wicker park or west bucktown.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 AM

Default We'll See...

Thanks for the advice. I do not know much about the Chicago area. Most of the information I have learned has come from this site. I did see Garfield Park listed in a post about the top 5 worst areas to live in. However, I am not that easily discouraged. I am excited about what I have read about this school so far. I just want to make sure the neighborhood I live in is SAFE, diverse, has nightlife, young people, things to do, etc. I may drive through this area and check it out in person when I visit later this week.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:11 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,478,478 times
If safe is your number one concern I wouldn't live there.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,840,748 times
Default Vintage

Vintage,

I think Bucktown, Wicker Park or Logan Square would fit you better. It will mostly depend upon your budget. If you can afford Bucktown or Wicker Park, go for it.

Why do you want to teach in Garfield Park? That is straight up hood with all the usual problems associated with an urban ghetto.

If you are doing it to positively impact the youth in that area, God Bless You. Just be careful.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:50 PM

249 posts, read 681,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Vintage,

I think Bucktown, Wicker Park or Logan Square would fit you better. It will mostly depend upon your budget. If you can afford Bucktown or Wicker Park, go for it.

Why do you want to teach in Garfield Park? That is straight up hood with all the usual problems associated with an urban ghetto.

If you are doing it to positively impact the youth in that area, God Bless You. Just be careful.
Yes, if you feel it is you "calling" to serve the children in an area such as Garfield Park, you'll be unswayed by what people may tell you about teaching in the CPS on the West Side or South Side.

I know many teachers who have taught in these areas, from retirees who are now in their 70s to people such as yourself who entered the system in the past few years. Some of things they have dealt with include:

-- Basic grooming, hygiene and nutrition issues not handled at home before the schoolday -- cuts into "learning time."
-- Violence toward other students rooted in the unstable households from which they come.
-- Assaults to their person or property -- from being spat upon to having their cars damaged.
-- Uncooperative and/or absent parenting when confronting the above student issues with their families.
-- Dealing with problems on personal, emotional levels of the highest order -- such as children sexually abused by relatives, etc.

The emotional energy spent on issues such as that last one can be heartbreaking. But for the person cut from the right cloth it is a career more noble and honorable than 99% of what the rest of the world is doing for a living. And I have never heard any of these people express any regrets for what they are doing.

Wherever you decide to move -- I agree that Bucktown, Wicker Park or Logan Square would be better -- make sure you have a car (but not too nice of a car) for your commute to school. While you may be able to handle the academic environment of a Garfield Park school, the general population of the area would present a clear danger if you had to rely on public transportation.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:21 PM

Default I agree

Again, thanks for the advice. I have spent the past year teaching in a school where I encountered many of the problems you described (though probably on a much smaller scale). I know that you are 100% on point with everything that you said. I will keep those neighborhoods in mind since they seem to keep coming up. Thanks for the advice about the car as well. Little stuff like that is actually very helpful.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:57 PM

48 posts, read 89,200 times
Default Humbolt Park(Campbell and Cortez)

Thinking of buying in this area. I've driven around the area and there seems to be some new construction and for the most part it seems pretty quiet. Anyone live near there that can give me a man-on-the-ground perspective. Is it safe to walk a dog at night, etc?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,418,848 times
I have a good friend that lives at Augusta and Rockwell. That stretch of Rockwell is pretty quiet but you will find corner kids on Augusta there. There's obvious drug dealing going on at Augusta and California and well as Augusta and Western so I'd recommend walking the residential streets after 9 if you'd like to walk your dog. Also, I'd make sure to buy a place with covered parking as Clemente High brings a lot of punks that like to deface and brick cars.

I like that area of Humboldt Park personally but when buying there you need to check your bravado at the door. Most residents are opposed to gentrification so the best thing you can do when moving in is to introduce yourself to all the neighbors, be friendly and cordial and they will be so in return. Lots of upwardly mobile folks have bought condos in the area in the last 5 years and they seem to wall themselves in their homes and not make an effort to become part of the neighborhood.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:18 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,956,164 times
I live pretty close to where you're looking right now. I bought on Campbell a few blocks north of where you mentioned. If I had the chance to do it again, I definitely would not buy here. In the past 6 months I have filed so many police reports that it makes me sick. Not to mention the disgusting littering problem in Humboldt Park that I posted about previously.

People in the area do not care for white people moving in, so if that describes you, keep it in mind. I didn't realize people would be so opposed to someone moving in that was actually going to take care of their house.

I bought about a year and a half ago, so I feel I've given the area a chance. It is definitely not for me. I'm staying now only because I cannot possibly sell without taking a loss given current market conditions. The second someone wants my house for about what I've invested in it, they can have it and I will happily leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago