Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:27 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times

Advertisements

In Chicago, I don't think people would care enough to riot.

So no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:32 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Is it possible considering the heat wave, the economy and the politics? Anything is possible. I've live in Chicago, I had family that lived there for 50 years and I've watched City politics for 60+ years. What I think is that if such a thing should happen - which it won't as school is about to start- is that normally silent phones would begin to ring, and very quickly the County, State, Guard and ABF show in riot gear. Air traffic and city traffic would be re-routed and the Moyor - who is now your worst enemy - would be unhappy. By the time it ended the thugs who started it would either be dead or wishing they were.dead. Then the City would begin to clean house and the heretofore ignored annoyances and petty crime would suddenly be under the microscope, . ant that, my friends, would bring a lot of unwanted attention to people who wish to remain anonymous. And this would be a very big mistake.

Could it happen? Would it happen?*It's a craps shoot, but the odds are against it.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
The only way riots that would happen if Obama were assasinated(that'll be nationwide).
I was about to comment on that.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:51 PM

767 posts, read 489,477 times
Chicago did have race riots similar to King/LA riots. Probably worse. If it happened before, it can happen again.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:24 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
I'd be surprised if they did.

It's actually quite difficult to loot and mug restaurants. Those were the only actual motives behind the riots, after all.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:21 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Can you prove that?
I was basing that purely as an estimate extrapolated from demographics.

54% of CPD officers are white.

Something greater than 50% of offenders being shot are black.

I would define "a high percentage" as anything over 20%.

In this case it seems mathematically close to certain that over 20% of shootings of black offenders by CPD would be by white officers.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:07 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Something greater than 50% of offenders being shot are black.

I would define "a high percentage" as anything over 20%.

Where did you come up with this number? Depending on who you ask, Chicago is 34-36% black. So, what percentage of police shootings should be "white-on-black"? Should it be the product of the white population percentage (32%) and the black population percentage (35%), which is 11.2%? This assumes that the police are selected to match the demographics of the city, and are randomly selected to patrol a location.

Should that number be even lower on the grounds that police officers should be placed in communities of their own race?

Should that number be higher because more than 35% of all crimes are committed by blacks (not meant to be racist, just stating a fact)?

What range around the 11.2% number is considered a tolerable deviation?

There are just a lot of issues involved with actually assigning something numerical to predicting racial tensions. I believe that racial tensions can boil over into a riot if and when justice is perceived as being unequal. The Rodney King riots occurred after the VERDICT, not the EVENT.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 PM

40 posts, read 93,671 times
Quote:
Yeah. My thoughts are why did you post a thread like this? Totally unnecessary and not very productive.
I agree!!!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
...King engaged Police in a high speed pursuit because his BAC was about .19, and he admits he refused to pull over because this would have violated his ROBBERY parole. He finally stops after doing 80 mph down side streets. At first he refuses to get out of the car, then he finally does, then acts in a strange manner when he exits. Police swarm to take him into custody. He then strikes an Officer in his chest. An older stun gun is deployed on King and he fights through it twice...
You forgot to mention King was high on PCP as well.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,232 times
Quote:
You forgot to mention King was high on PCP as well.
He actually tested negative for PCP. Officers on scene initially thought he was because of how bizarre he was acting. He was drunk and had trace amounts of marijuana. He was also very muscular from the time he spent in prison working out for the time he served for the robbery. He has also been arrested for beating both his wives, soliciting a prostitute and many DUI's. Again, I don't think any of the community gave a crap about him, it was after the verdict it was used as an excuse to sack, plunder and pillage.

Don't know about you, but I'm getting ready to get the riot started for the Blago verdict! Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: