Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,739 times

Advertisements

Im thinking of relocating to Chicago from Atlanta next year. I will be graduating with a Business Economics degree. I may look into grad school, but not sure.

23yr heterosexual African American
1br. No more than $1000
safe area
walking distance from retail, dining,public trans, and grocery.
I have a car. Would like to keep it.
Did I mention safe area?

I have the option of transferring with my current company, (Coca Cola). Its location is on the southside (Alsip). This is a backup option though.

I need good areas for two different places.

1.Near Downtown. (Ive heard Lincoln Park and Gold Coast are ok)
2. Near Alsip

I need help. What neighborhoods are directly downtown?
I dont want to be in the ghetto. PERIOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 01:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I don't understand the question "what neighborhoods are directly downtown." Well, downtown is.

The problem is most of the nice and/or happening areas are on the north side while Alsip is a southern suburb. Commuting across town is not fun. You'll probably want to stay on the south side. Hyde Park is the south side neighborhood that has the most of what you're looking for. There are some nice city neighborhoods close to Alsip but they have a more suburban feel and it doesn't sound like that's what you want. But if you don't mind a more suburban feel, you might also check out Beverly and the west side of Morgan Park, as well as the suburb of Marionette Park which is in between Chicago and Alsip. Oak Lawn and Evergreen Park are also nice border suburbs close to Alsip.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 PM

Ive heard the southside of Chicago is ghetto. Exactly what neighborhoods should I stay away from?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariustf View Post
Ive heard the southside of Chicago is ghetto. Exactly what neighborhoods should I stay away from?
90% of them.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:30 PM

OK. Lets say I dont transfer with my present company, and land a good job in the city. With my criteria, would Lincoln Park be a good fit?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
OK. Lets say I dont transfer with my present company, and land a good job in the city. With my criteria, would Lincoln Park be a good fit?
Well Lincoln Park is not on the south side...

It fits pretty well except for the travel time aspect and keeping the car thing.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 AM

21 posts, read 45,582 times
Most people who move to the city hear Lincoln park and the Gold Coast are great. Then they see the prices and realize that Lakeview and Wicker Park and Buctown have similar charm and amenities for less money--though still not cheap. You can find a 1br for $1000 or less. Most of Chicago is "close to downtown" compared to Atlanta.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:26 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
If you were to get a job downtown and decide to keep your car then I would personally look at Bucktown and Wicker Park over Lincoln Park and Lakeview just due to the ease of street parking. I'm sure it varies depending on exactly what street you are talking about, but whenever I visit my friends in LP I have a horrible time finding parking. None of my friends in that area have cars.

Also, the poster that said every neighborhood in Chicago is close to downtown relative to Atlanta is correct. If you were to live in any of the Chicago neighborhoods mentioned (Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, Lakeview, Bucktown, Wicker Park) you don't need to have a car. It isn't the same as Atlanta when it comes to cars, you just don't need one to get around here. I think it is pretty unusual for someone who lives in Chicago and works in the Loop to drive to work... I sure wouldn't bother, at least.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:09 PM

77 posts, read 171,744 times
Quote:

Lincoln Park and Lakeview are both good options, but like someone else mentioned, Wicker Park and Bucktown might be a better fit since you want to keep your car. The parking in Lincoln Park and Lakeview is much worse than Wicker Park and Bucktown.

But all of those neighborhoods are safe, have good transit options, tons of restaurants and bars, close grocery stores, and people around your age.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faintlyamused View Post
Lincoln Park and Lakeview are both good options, but like someone else mentioned, Wicker Park and Bucktown might be a better fit since you want to keep your car. The parking in Lincoln Park and Lakeview is much worse than Wicker Park and Bucktown.

But all of those neighborhoods are safe, have good transit options, tons of restaurants and bars, close grocery stores, and people around your age.
And all of them are set him up for a horrid commute to Alsip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: