U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 PM

15,587 posts, read 24,644,044 times

Advertisements

Go with Washington. Wright is a hike. Truman is in a crap area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 03:47 PM

21 posts, read 66,984 times
I'm not sure how expensive oakton in skokie is but I've heard good things. I think its one of the best community colleges in the country, its pretty easy, friendly, and diverse. Not sure about the commute, maybe the yellow line makes a stop clse to it.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,581,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintochi966 View Post
I'm not sure how expensive oakton in skokie is but I've heard good things. I think its one of the best community colleges in the country, its pretty easy, friendly, and diverse. Not sure about the commute, maybe the yellow line makes a stop clse to it.
Oakton would be very expensive for somebody that lives in the city compared to the city colleges.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:32 AM

"Oakton Community College District 535 serves 450,000 residents in the communities of Evanston, Glencoe, Glenview, Golf, Kenilworth, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Niles, Northbrook, Northfield, Park Ridge, Skokie, Wilmette, Winnetka, and parts of Des Plaines*, Mount Prospect* and Rosemont*."

About Oakton

Old 07-05-2009, 12:48 PM

67 posts, read 308,703 times
As a former employee of the city colleges,I suggest you go to Truman.The area is Not bad..and if you plan on working in the Chicago school district you will have to get used to different neighborhoods/personalities anyways....back to my point....Truman has better programs/staff for adult learning and more programs to help you fill your goals.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:38 PM

The area around Truman is not bad?

Yeah ok.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:20 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,961,064 times
Default Good community colleges in Chicago?

Can you guys list community colleges in the Chicagoland area from best to worst?
Thanks!!!

Old 12-28-2009, 02:29 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,774,010 times
I went to Wright and Triton college and sometimes they have good classes and sometimes not depending on the teacher.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:14 PM

28,461 posts, read 76,835,002 times
There are a HUGE variability in the quality of the courses at basically ALL the community colleges in the region. The factors include pretty large staff turn-over and wide range of goals -- if you are someone trying to pick up some solid skills to advance in a technical oriented field from medical to IT to automotive to construction it is pretty easy to assess the value of the courses. If you are just trying to knock off credits so that you can save some dough compared to a degree granting institution that is much harder to compare...

Basically there are some "specializations" that each CC tries to maintain strength in -- that makes a lot of sense as the quality of some programs them tends to be reinforced with better students and resources. This is most evident in the vocational areas, but spills over to the more academic areas too. It might be wise to consult with some professors at the four-year school you are anticipating if that is part of your long term plans...

Old 12-28-2009, 03:28 PM

2,419 posts, read 5,706,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I went to Wright and Triton college and sometimes they have good classes and sometimes not depending on the teacher.
Isn't this the problem with *all* community colleges?

I got my A.A. from Joliet Junior College and I had taken a handful of classes at College of Dupage as well. Yes, none of these are in Chicago proper, but I can tell you that from my experiences at both of these schools you could take some classes that really worked your brain and made you a smarter student, or you could be pretty much wasting your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago