U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:29 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,564,662 times

Advertisements

in ChicagoLAND, the best are

College of Dupage, Harper and College of Lake County. These schools have the biggest campuses and the widest range of programs.

Oakton is also very good, although their main campus is smaller, with bigger satellite campuses.

Moraine Valley is good too. Thats the SW suburbs. Probably the biggest Arab population in Chicagoland is actually down there.

Tritons OK. They don't have quite as much funds as they used to. But the instructors are great. Serves a diverse range of communities of the inner west suburbs.

Waubonsee is supposed to be good (Aurora/southern Kane county). Their facility is Sugar Grove is very new. Elgin is good. Joliet Junior college is also good. McHenry is more rural and the most "whitebread" but a good school too.

Prairie state is in the poorest, most economically stagnant area of Chicagoland (South suburbs east of I-57.

Honestly, the city community colleges are not all that great. Just like the public high schools. I know because I teach community college in the suburbs and I get out of district students from the city. They use a relatives address.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 03:28 PM

281 posts, read 937,579 times
Can anyone provide any more insight into which community colleges in Chicago are any good? I see there's a lot of city colleges -- which one's are the best? Wright?

I also had a look at Oakton, but because I won't be a resident in the Oakton district the tuition will be much higher ($272/credit hour vs. $79/credit hour at city schools).

Thanks!!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:49 PM

15,587 posts, read 24,590,042 times
^ I believe Washington is the best out of the city colleges. ^

Old 01-20-2010, 01:50 PM

445 posts, read 1,239,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Nor is Daley, which is located in a solidly middle class neighborhood. And Olive Harvey might not be in a great area, but it's not horrible, and it's right off the Bishop Ford, so you don't even need to drive through the neighborhood.
No. Olive Harvey is in a horrible area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^ I believe Washington is the best out of the city colleges. ^
I have no idea about what sort of education it offers, but if I had to go to a city college, that's the only one I'd go to based on location alone. Wright isn't that "bad", but it can be a bit sketchy at times and 'bangers are a pretty regular sight at the train stop there.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,482 times
Default Community College

Hi there everyone! I am a 25 year old white male that will be moving to Chicago with my girlfriend in late August of this year. She is finishing her degree off at UChicago and I am planning on attending a community college in the area, but I have no idea which one to attend or which area to live in.

She knows the city well having lived there for four years prior to moving to Texas, where we are right now, so she doesn't have a problem being the one that commutes to school every day. I'd prefer to live in an area that is relatively cheap, but I don't plan on sacrificing safety for lower prices. We are looking at paying from 650-1000/month for a studio or 1br apartment.

Any help that you all can give me is more than appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:57 PM

2,419 posts, read 5,695,032 times
Wilbur Wright College - Success Starts Here!

^^ Probably one of the better ones.

And, avoid Truman in Uptown at all costs.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,749,998 times
When I went to Wright College in 1988 the courses were well taught and I learned Differential Equations better there than at UIUC.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:43 PM

15,587 posts, read 24,590,042 times
Just do you know for in-district tuition:

"Students must live within the City of Chicago for at least 30 days before classes begin for the term."

Tuition & Fees at the City Colleges (http://ccc.edu/Student/Tuition.asp - broken link)

Old 08-20-2010, 07:43 PM

2,288 posts, read 5,645,991 times
Take a look at Englewood. It's cheap, there is an EL station right in the center of the neighborhood and a beautiful new community college campus. And you won't find a much more exciting neighborhood to live in!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 PM

269 posts, read 661,269 times
Wait... what?!?!?!?!?!?!?

According to this: Chicago crime data (formerly chicagocrime.org) | EveryBlock Chicago

Englewood is the 2nd worst area in Chicago... yes, I know Lakeview is on there, but I went there because I was pretty sure that Englewood was the crime infested hellhole I thought it was and wanted some data to back that up before calling it a crime infested hellhole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago