Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:09 PM

2,423 posts, read 4,296,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I was just going to post what Drover said. Check out UIC, DePaul, or Loyola. I'm guessing you want to pay as little as possible, so UIC is your best bet. It's not that difficult of a school to get into, and it has a lot of great programs. I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for at UIC

The only thing you'd need to be wary of is that the school does somewhat die later at night and on the weekends. There are a lot of commuters, but the vast majority of students dorm. Anyway, good luck!
Actually since the OP wouldn't be an instate resident yet he would be paying the same amount at UIC as he would at DePaul and Loyola because of out of state tuition.

I will say this I went to DePaul and they are very generous with scholarships/financial aid. I was actually paying less in tuition then compared as an instate student for UIUC or UIC. Not by a whole lot but it was cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:11 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,579,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
TSU as in Texas State University??? Isn't that in San Marcos??? Or did you just pronounce the school wrong??
San Marcos is a suburb of Austin, 30 minutes from downtown.

Yeah, I know, ancient zombie thread, but still felt the need to respond to this.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:37 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrod View Post
Based on my personal experience, NEIU is not a good school at all. It is not taken seriously and majority of students there are not taking their education seriously.
Like Texas State U, its NOTHING but frats and seemingly endless supply of 18 year olds who party a lot. I would say that NEIU is really not a place where a new person could meet people.
Also North Park, Albany Park, or Jefferson Park are not safe at all. There is shooting almost every day. There are lots of gangs, and they kill each other all the time. Sometimes they shoot innocent people because they think that they are members of the gang which is their enemy. Based on my personal opinion, it's better to choose UIC, and the area there is much safer than the area around Northeastern. Also there is lots of racial tension in this school among the different ethnic groups, mainly blacks against white and people born in the U.S. against Europeans and Middle eastern, which includes staff and the police department.
Another Stupidest Post of the Week contender...

Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,562,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Another Stupidest Post of the Week contender...
I agree, that was complete nonsense.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,383,505 times
Quote:
Based on my personal experience, NEIU is not a good school at all. It is not taken seriously and majority of students there are not taking their education seriously.
Like Texas State U, its NOTHING but frats and seemingly endless supply of 18 year olds who party a lot. I would say that NEIU is really not a place where a new person could meet people.
Also North Park, Albany Park, or Jefferson Park are not safe at all. There is shooting almost every day. There are lots of gangs, and they kill each other all the time. Sometimes they shoot innocent people because they think that they are members of the gang which is their enemy. Based on my personal opinion, it's better to choose UIC, and the area there is much safer than the area around Northeastern. Also there is lots of racial tension in this school among the different ethnic groups, mainly blacks against white and people born in the U.S. against Europeans and Middle eastern, which includes staff and the police department.
Wrong on all, counts. Including the bump.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,841,506 times
I heard from some Chicago natives that NEIU is often referred to as "North Easy"--still true?

We have a school here in Boston called "Northeastern University" , which is known for its work-study programs, and somewhat for its hockey team ( locally). It's often thought of as being a commuter school, but it does have dorms, a full collegiate athletic schedule, and is quite expensive. Its reputation is decent too, although certainly not in league with BC, to say nothing of Harvard and MIT..

Last edited by MassVt; 08-27-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 AM

90 posts, read 100,519 times
Quote:
Wow. I would like to congratulate you on such a stunningly ignorant post.

I graduated as an ADULT STUDENT from NEIU in 2007. I have many good things to say about that school. I found the professors by and large to be high-quality and very available for individuals who needed them. I have heard negative things said about other schools, such as having TAs teaching undergrad classes (and this is a complaint of one of the most prestigious unis in the country, too!), seminars with hundreds of students...NEIU has a few of those but the only one I took was a gen ed chemistry course.

In recent years I have visited when I am in the area. One of things I didn't like was the financial aid office being so convoluted and there is generally lots of red tape. I hated when I needed something because I lived in the 'burbs and would have to make a trip up there. No way in hell could I get someone on the phone!

I also didn't like that it seemed a bit ghetto after I stopped going there. Like allowing students to play their "music" in the area when you come into the main building. I think that is pretty tacky.

UIC is most likely tougher academically overall. However, it's also hard to get into, from what I understand. Or at least you have to apply way in advance. I really don't like that area but it would have been a lot more convenient for me. I liked NEIU's campus and classrooms better than what I have seen with UIC.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 AM

90 posts, read 100,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshthegreat View Post
Hey everyone, I will keep this short. I recently moved to Austin and I am not liking it so much. I am not here to bash Austin, so yeah. Thinking about moving to Chicago for the spring semester......I am nervous about another move and want to make sure it is a more permanent choice. So ANY help would be great!

I love Chicago. I have visited it whenever possible(recently taking my family there this spring break....they LOVED the 33 degree weather). Anyways, I have been looking into NEIU for some time, but I have some pointed questions.

1. Is it a good school? By that, I do not mean is it known nationwide as a great school. But is it taken seriously? Are the majority of students there taking their education seriously? I ask this because I have looked at many reviews on the school and I am getting a very mixed image.

2.Here at Texas State U, where I am attending now, its NOTHING but frats and seemingly endless supply of 18 year olds. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW I am in college, but its insane here. Also, I am kind of out of the "college party scene", which is huge here. So here is the question, is NEIU really not a place where a new person could meet people? I am wanting a change from my current school, but I do not want a TOTALLY different experience. I am looking for a happy middle.

3. Is North Park, Albany Park, or Jefferson Park safe? (I know there is a thread for this kind of thing, but there doesn't seem to be much info on these hoods, and I am quite interested).

4. How are the people of Chicago? I know this question is too broad a question for such a city, but what could one expect overall with daily interactions with others. I have had no bad experience in Chicago, other than aggressive homeless, but than again, I haven't been actively trying to create bonds and explore more intensely.

BTW, I am 23, girlfriend is 18, and I am a history major. If you do not know the specifics I am asking, just some info in NEIU(aka real experiences) would be really cool.

Thanks in advance guys.
I wanted to say that I found my English professors to be stellar. I did not take any history courses but I think that if the teachers are on the same par as the ones I had, you'd do very well.

The nice thing about NEIU is that they are pretty liberal when it comes to enrollment. That comes in handy when you are transferring and just want to get in SOMEWHERE. They are also cheaper than other universities. I am sure that is why you are considering them. Believe it or not but they were half their rate in 2004. The faculty went on strike and got the tuition raised to pay the professors better.

When it comes to quality professors, remember that nowadays with the push towards non-tenured professors, you might have a very talented professor who is patching together several teaching gigs to make his/her money. So they have to hire many of them part-time to avoid paying benefits...

As for the safety of Albany Park/North Park, don't listen to this twits. Yes, Albany Park has shootings but it's not like Englewood or North Lawndale. And North Park is fine! It's a neat area, actually. Used to be primarily Swedish and on Foster there is a cool restaurant serving Swedish food that you should check out if you decide to go to school there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago