Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,012,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
It varies a lot from highway to highway. I think 57 is the one where you hit cornfields the earliest - around Monee or so (about 40 miles). If you're on 80 you need to get past Joliet (about 50-60 miles), 90 is about 50 miles as well. Going north or south you need to go a long way before you hit cornfields.
If you got off 1-57 and drove down Governor's Highway, you'd notice that there are cornfields NORTH of Monee in University Park. You start seeing cornfields as soon as you go south of Cook County and roll into Will County. That's where "the cornfields start" if you're heading straight south.

There's also a random cornfield in Floosmoor (about 21 miles south) on Vollmer Road. So maybe not.

Last edited by urza216; 09-09-2010 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 05:00 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,031,674 times
People have said that you don't hit cornfields until you get into Wisconsin, and one person mentioned that it is not until you past Milwaukee. I would agree if you were talking about the real big stretches that you get into west or south of Chicago. Betwen Gurnee Mills (IL 132) and South Milwaukee, its more like cornfields/woods . . . built up for a little while . . . cornfields . . . built up a little more, and so on.

I compare that stretch to be similar to I-25 along the Colorado front range, but without moutains, and green instead of brown grass.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Let's say from downtown ... going north, south and west...

Using expressways.

How long does it take to hit open fields with very little to no homes in the area?
Just for the record, asking about cornfields and asking this question are two different questions. If we're talking about the bolded question, you got to go south of Kankakee County.

And this thread would be more appropriate in the Chicago Suburbs section. I actually went looking for it there before I realized it had been placed in the Chicago section.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,151,266 times
You know corn is readily available in your local supermarket these days!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:29 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,155,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Just for the record, asking about cornfields and asking this question are two different questions. If we're talking about the bolded question, you got to go south of Kankakee County.

And this thread would be more appropriate in the Chicago Suburbs section. I actually went looking for it there before I realized it had been placed in the Chicago section.
Alright, well
Where could you do crazy stuff like shoot guns with no one hearing.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
The Cook County Forest Preserve in South Holland (about ten to twenty minutes outside of the Chicago city limits).

It's a great place for someone on the far south side to dump a body.

Last edited by urza216; 09-09-2010 at 07:46 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,171,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
You know corn is readily available in your local supermarket these days!
Yeah, but no one is impressed when you make alien patterns at the supermarket with corn, you gotta go out to a large field to make something large enough to freak people out.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:50 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,171,604 times
Quote:
Alright, well
No one hearing? You'd have to go a long way, maybe even to Iowa. Would depend on the type and caliber of the gun I guess.

People hearing and being used to it? I'd say the general distances people are listing here apply. Whatever you do don't go onto someone else's land and start shooting a gun. Go to a range or talk to property owners before you do anything like that. Just pulling off a road and starting to shoot in a random field is a great way to get yourself in trouble (or shot).

Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,151,266 times
Quote:
Alright, well
Detroit?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:01 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,155,367 times
Just wondering what would be the equivalent to what places in the southwest have.

Places like Phoneix, ABQ, Tuscon, Flagstaff, etc. you can drive for a few minutes and be out in open land where doing many things is possible. i.e. shooting and other stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago