Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:41 PM

332 posts, read 525,092 times

Advertisements

I was just reading around some of the other threads here and someone mentioned this "don't go north of Irving Rule."

Preliminary initial reactions to this include "Why are certain people afraid to go north of Irving?" and "Thank God the Yuppies won't invade my neighborhood since they're afraid of it."

Nothing dead set has been formed in my mind about this, other than acute realization that this "rule" exists for some people. Thoughts? Discussions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
So you live in Uptown right?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:55 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
I agree with the dont go north of irving rule but only until you hit damen. All it is, is different blocks of neighborhoods. If your a young yuppy don't go north of irving. Its a bit of a different world there than lakeview. Dont go west of western either.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Only an idiot or newbie would have such a rule. Truly ridiculous. I will admit, I was slow to discover certain neighborhoods north of Lakeview when I first moved to the city, as was my wife. But some of Chicago's nicest and most interesting neighborhoods are north of Irving Park Road. I understand people wanting to limit their commutes, but being south of Irving doesn't automatically give you a shorter commute to the Loop than someone north of Irving.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I've never heard of a "don't go north of Irving" rule, probably because it's thoroughly preposterous.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've never heard of a "don't go north of Irving" rule, probably because it's thoroughly preposterous.
Not really. When in Irving Park going north of Irving into Albany Park might not be the best thing in the world. It has been heating up again there.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
There are still numerous very livable neighborhoods north of Irving Park.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There are still numerous very livable neighborhoods north of Irving Park.
Of course there are. But there are a handful that need mostly to be avoided for the most part. But you know that. I can't believe I even posted in this baited thread to begin with.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:00 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
I was just reading around some of the other threads here and someone mentioned this "don't go north of Irving Rule."

Preliminary initial reactions to this include "Why are certain people afraid to go north of Irving?" and "Thank God the Yuppies won't invade my neighborhood since they're afraid of it."

Nothing dead set has been formed in my mind about this, other than acute realization that this "rule" exists for some people. Thoughts? Discussions?
Well, everyone knows that the only area of Chicago one can properly live in is bounded by Irving Park Road on the north, Roosevelt Road on the south, Lake Michigan on the east, and Ashland Avenue on the west. All the rest of Chicago is just a giant wasteland where no one dares to tread. I'm sure I read that some years ago on the Lincoln Park Trixie Society website or some such.

Seriously, however... When I first moved to Chicago back in 1995, and was looking for a place, I pretty much knew I wanted to live in or near Lakeview, near Boystown and all that... I used an apartment finder service and told my agent I didn't want to look at anything north of Irving, unless it was on Marine Drive between Irving and Montrose. I knew I wanted to live near the lake, and that north of Irving it was "Uptown", and that Uptown was "bad". To me at the time, Irving Park Road was the very edge of respectability. Of course, it was because I didn't really know any better back then.

Even today, I might advise a newcomer to town, especially a white yuppie type right out of college, who perhaps grew up in suburbia somewhere and is not used to living around a lot of diversity and doesn't want a lot of "adventure" while setting up in a new city, to start out renting in one of the more popular areas south of Irving -- Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Gold Coast and all that -- at least temporarily until they learn their way around the rest of the city and feel more comfortable with other areas, then decide where to go from there.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:01 AM

422 posts, read 812,754 times
These are one of these rules from 30 years ago before the age of gentrification and even then were a bit paranoid. I mean everything north of Irving? This evening I was at the German festival in Lincoln Square which is about a mile north of Irving and that are is just as yuppified as areas south of it today.

Most of these "rules" are probably rumors you can trace back to old city dwellers who now live in the north shore suburbs and rarely venture into the city today and just assume how they remember it in the 1970's still holds water today. Today's society is filled with people who have no clue what the hell they are talking about when it comes to cities and neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago