Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 PM

14 posts, read 18,349 times

Advertisements

I've been offered a job in Chicago (I currently live in New Zealand) and am trying to scope out my living options.

Workplace is in Roselle, pretty much right on the Roselle Metra station on the Milwaukee West line (I think this is what it's called...).

I'm toying with the idea of living downtown and not having to own a car -- how feasible would this be? I'm comfortable with an hour on a train, as long as I can do some work or read a book or something. Would also accept a 30 min walk to the station, or a bus if weather requires (looks like Union station is the only option downtown?).

I like being within walking distance of something of a social scene, live music, cultural events etc so really downtown wins over a suburb any day. Looks like I could swing from $1000-1400/month for a studio or 1br (would of course prefer the lower end of this). Any recommendations for places fitting this criteria? Have looked at Loop, Streeterville but not knowing what everything is called makes it difficult going off just a map.

Alternatively I could look at somewhere further out on the train line -- anything worth considering for somebody carless? What hours does the train line to downtown run?

Cheers for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 05:47 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,494,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbanz View Post
...(looks like Union station is the only option downtown?)...Looks like I could swing from $1000-1400/month for a studio or 1br (would of course prefer the lower end of this)...

...Alternatively I could look at somewhere further out on the train line -- anything worth considering for somebody carless?...
The other stops in the city on that Metra Line (two are on the edge of the city and in an area that is not too happening for single people) (and the rest in areas that are questionable to very shady and not too happening either.)

I would stick in and close to downtown.

And yes, the Loop and Streeterville are considered downtown.

Union Station is your only option in downtown.

Here is your schedule:

http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/m...dule.full.html

Old 09-21-2010, 11:32 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,712,702 times
If you live on the Roselle METRA station, it is possible to live in the Chicago area without a car. If you choose to live downtown like in Streeterville, River North, or River East, it is an easy commute to Union Station to catch the train everyday. There are grocery stores downtown just like you would find in the suburbs. They are called Dominicks and Jewel. Plenty of singles and things to do in that area. Just make sure you don't miss the train to Roselle and back to the city because the outbound (to suburbs) trains in the morning run more infrequently and same with the ones back to the city in the afternoon.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:36 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,734,771 times
Take a look at Century Tower, it's in the Loop, at Lake and Wells and an easy walk to Union. It's definitely within your price range and a good starting point. They're very easy to work with when you're a newly arrived international transplant.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:40 PM

14 posts, read 18,349 times
Thanks all for your responses.

I might just draw a circle say 1.5 miles around Union Station and look for apartments within that zone... I assume there's no dodgy areas within such a small area close to downtown?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 AM

279 posts, read 757,982 times
If you're already going to be on the train an hour, I would highly recommend living as close to Union Station as possible so that you can quickly walk there and not have to rely on bus or train to get there and add another 20-30 minutes to your commute. Unfortunately, much of the area immediately around Union Station kind of sucks to live in as it is mostly a business / office area. However, the West Loop is pretty nice once you get west of the Expressway and an easy walk to Union Station as long you're not too far west. Look around Greektown. The area around the Clinton Green Line stop is also a bit more residential and has a couple of amenities nearby. Look along Lake and Fulton streets between the river and the Expressway. There are several apartment, condo, and loft buildings there. You could also look at Printers Row in the southern edge of the Loop - it's not really exciting but at least you have a couple of restaurants and bars and there are some pretty nice historic loft condos there. Any of these locations should put you within at most a 15 minute walk from Union Station.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,155,406 times
Default NZ to IL thoughts

The biggest obstacle you will have is not the 15 minute walk to Union Station, it is the 15 minute walk in windy sub-zero temperatures.

NZ I think has horrible hurricane force storms, but I don't know that you experienced anything like -60 F wind chills and sidewalks covered in ice and snow. It will take about a year for your body to acclimate to the climate.

There are dodgy areas all over the city. The Chicagoland population is 10 times larger than Aukalnd plus its 1000 square miles or larger in size. You really need to rethink where you live in relation to Union Station. You might *possibly* be better off living closer to your work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbanz View Post
Thanks all for your responses.

I might just draw a circle say 1.5 miles around Union Station and look for apartments within that zone... I assume there's no dodgy areas within such a small area close to downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: