Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bportballer View Post
&Drover, that's pretty bogus to tell someone to shut up about their idea of what is nice. Sorry, not everyone was raised in middle class white suburbia.
You just got here so you don't know the context behind my response. And it's pretty bogus to tell MannheimMadman that he's making rash statements about something he knows nothing about when you don't have any idea what he knows or doesn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 03:43 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,723 times
Morgan St is a good value. I have lived feet from Morgan St for a couple of years and I view the area positively. I know there were some shootings on Morgan and Lituanica near 32nd over the summer, but generally I don't feel uncomfortable on foot in the area, even at night. I doesn't seem like what I consider the ghetto because a) there's a good number of owner occupants b) the real estate market is decent and c) there's a good amount of commercial activity, especially considering how close Morgan is to 31st and Halsted streets. In addition to the coffee shop discussed in this thread (and longtime businesses like Lina's, Johnny O's and the Polo Cafe) a Mediterranean place opened within recent memory and someone's opening a pasty bakery soon. I am aware of the gang activity in the area, but compared to areas like Humboldt Park, Morgan St in Bridgeport is closer to downtown, safer, quieter and cheaper. So I say it's a good value.

McKinley Park is a nice alternative, but I find there's more going on in Bridgeport. Another option would be to look further west from Morgan. I think there's less criminal activity than Morgan/Lituanica by Racine and Throop and it's still cheaper than east of Halsted. Public transit is not as good over there, however. Then again, it's not all that good at Morgan/31st, either. The homes in the diagonal streets north of 31st are historical and cheap, but Drover is right that there's some crime up there and apartments can be very outdated and in poor shape.

My two cents. Hopefully my post won't be discounted because I wasn't born here.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
When you say "pasty" bakery, do you mean that or do you mean "pastry" bakery?

I could use a good pasty. They're hard to find this far south.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:56 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
When you say "pasty" bakery, do you mean that or do you mean "pastry" bakery?

Pasty. I did a double take the first time I saw the sign. I've never had one but I'd like to try one.

Actually, now that I googled them, I'm not sure what the storefront on Morgan will be used for. It seems they're going to distribute them by food truck - Coming Soon to a Street Near You: Bridgeport Pasty -- Grub Street Chicago

Old 02-27-2011, 06:07 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My wife is from Pennsylvania of Welsh coal mining stock and knows pasties. When I asked her to make some she made this killer meat pie instead; less work for her.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:06 AM

367 posts, read 1,205,107 times
In my October 30, 2010 post, I claimed that "32nd and Morgan is pretty much the intersection that is the epicenter of violent crimes around there". By "around there", I meant both the area within three blocks or so, as well as the entire Bridgeport neighborhood.

I wanted to see if anything is changing, so I've been paying attention to the news. Since that time, the Tribune has written up four shootings in Bridgeport.

Man shot, seriously wounded in Bridgeport - Chicago Breaking News
Man questioned in fatal Bridgeport shooting - Chicago Breaking News (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/12/police-question-one-in-fatal-shooting-on-south-side.html - broken link)
1 dead, 1 wounded in Bridgeport shooting - Chicago Breaking News (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/1-dead-1-wounded-in-bridgeport-shooting.html - broken link)
2 teens wounded in separate shootings on South Side - Chicago Breaking News (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/12/2-teens-wounded-in-separate-shootings-on-south-side.html - broken link)

Two of the four shootings happened precisely in the 3200 block of South Morgan.

Last edited by meatpuff; 02-28-2011 at 01:14 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,332,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
In my October 30, 2010 post, I claimed that "32nd and Morgan is pretty much the intersection that is the epicenter of violent crimes around there". By "around there", I meant both the area within three blocks or so, as well as the entire Bridgeport neighborhood.

I wanted to see if anything is changing, so I've been paying attention to the news. Since that time, the Tribune has written up four shootings in Bridgeport.

Man shot, seriously wounded in Bridgeport - Chicago Breaking News
Man questioned in fatal Bridgeport shooting - Chicago Breaking News (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/12/police-question-one-in-fatal-shooting-on-south-side.html - broken link)
1 dead, 1 wounded in Bridgeport shooting - Chicago Breaking News (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/1-dead-1-wounded-in-bridgeport-shooting.html - broken link)
2 teens wounded in separate shootings on South Side - Chicago Breaking News (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/12/2-teens-wounded-in-separate-shootings-on-south-side.html - broken link)

Two of the four shootings happened precisely in the 3200 block of South Morgan.
Thanks for following up.

Now I can't be accused of being the only one to bring up crime either.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:32 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,252,672 times
And Tom - That meat pie looks ridiculously good, man. My fiancee can't even break noodles to make spaghetti

Old 07-26-2011, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,107 times
I'm about to go see a place on 31st and Lituanica today.
After reading this and seeing the multiple crimes posted everyday on EveryBlock in that vicinity I'm a bit wary.
I'm a mid 20s african american female that will be commuting downtown everyday for school and work. I usually get off work between 8pm and 10pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago