Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,569 times

Advertisements

thats cuz ppl on the south and west sides of chicago cannot afford Jewel's and Domonick's!! Im just saying!! TUH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 AM

684 posts, read 833,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit4Lyfe View Post
thats cuz ppl on the south and west sides of chicago cannot afford Jewel's and Domonick's!! Im just saying!! TUH
Actually incorrect. Because of the food desert on the south side many people are forced to grocery shop at corner stores or convenince stores which are FAR more expensive than grocery stores.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:02 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Actually incorrect. Because of the food desert on the south side many people are forced to grocery shop at corner stores or convenince stores which are FAR more expensive than grocery stores.
Jewel is a bit pricey unless you go when they have great sales. Honestly Pete's Market on the Southside is far more affordable for produce and meats. Their paper products are more expensive, but I guess you have to make the price up somewhere else in the store.
There is no reason that Jewel should charge almost 4.99 a pound on cheese when everyone else is charging 3.00 a pound or less for the same brand. I can spend 100.00 at any other store and walk out with tons of groceries, at Jewel on a non decent sale week your lucky to walk out with the essentials for 100.00!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:11 PM

968 posts, read 2,664,868 times
All the large stores that are close to competing with each other will do local/local loyalty promotions based on the competitions pricing and promotions .. As an example, when a WM Neighborhood market moved into the West Loop/Fulton gate Area , The Jewel, Dominicks, and Walgreens all started offering 'parallel' BOGOs and price reductions on equivalent or like items ..Marianos , Costco and Target have joined the fray , so it should be more interesting .. This doesn't help consumers that live in areas without 'clustering' or only one big chain and can't cheaply travel to those areas .. The paradox is that , for the most part , people that could spend more on food and staples often spend less, because of the economic geography .. The big chains will locate where the household money is, and base their promotional strategies on winning the consumer dollars in those areas ..

Old 11-18-2012, 04:52 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
I've always wondered about Jewel's and Dominick's. Whereas proposed Walmart, Treasure Island and now soon to be Whole Foods are present, I don't think they want my money. Let them stay where they are. Maybe that's just a Hyde Parker perspective.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM

303 posts, read 578,740 times
South Side gets allot of stores. Walmart was just opened in Chatham.The 87st & Dan Ryan corridor is busy and huge.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,129 times
allot?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit4Lyfe View Post
Reelly? Cuz I shop at Jewelz and liv on da south side. lulz...

Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM

289 posts, read 896,878 times
I started this thread and I still wish somebody would publicly call Jewel and Dominick's on how they avoid the South Side.

Dominicks stores
http://local.search.yahoo.com/search?p=dominick%27s&addr=Chicago%2C+IL

Jewel stores
http://local.search.yahoo.com/search?p=jewel+grocery+store&addr=Chicago%2C+IL

Every time I hear that "My Neighborhood, my Jewel" commercial it makes me want to plaster South Side neighborhoods with signs that say, "My neighborhood, NO JEWEL". The thing is it's not just those two chains. The Village grocery store on 51st Street closed in advance of that mall being demolished. There is an empty grocery store on 47th just waiting for a tenant. Why would they rather close than move four blocks away?

Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
South Side gets allot of stores. Walmart was just opened in Chatham.The 87st & Dan Ryan corridor is busy and huge.
It's not huge.. I can see why someone who lives there would want to head south to Orland Park and Calumet City.

I've been there once to pick up a product from Chatham's Best Buy. Considering that it's on the south side of Chicago, it's a pretty big "big box" retail area. But compared to the burbs, it's nothing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Now that's a good point!

Last edited by urza216; 11-19-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago