Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:59 AM

269 posts, read 716,963 times

Advertisements

I have a upass I take public trans for free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,491,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet123 View Post
I have a upass I take public trans for free
I'm pretty sure you, or taxpayers pay for that in the form of higher tuition.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 AM

818 posts, read 2,170,369 times
1. The City no longer owns the parking meters. They were sold in 2008..

Clout St: Aldermen approve Chicago parking meter lease

2. University sponsored transit passes are usually paid for by a combination of University money (tuition/ donations) and city subsidies (similar to the ones for seniors, disabled, etc. money comes primarily from sales tax). So, you are paying for the ride through tuition and sales tax, but not as much as everybody else who pays full price (and sales tax) pays.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,491,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post

Clout St: Aldermen approve Chicago parking meter lease

2. University sponsored transit passes are usually paid for by a combination of University money (tuition/ donations) and city subsidies (similar to the ones for seniors, disabled, etc. money comes primarily from sales tax). So, you are paying for the ride through tuition and sales tax, but not as much as everybody else who pays full price (and sales tax) pays.
Hrrm... I wonder though if some Universities in the systems students use it less than others. The way I understand it is they all benefit as a whole... But some schools might see more of a benefit if their students ride it say on average, 4x per week back and forth, approximately 17.00 . Where as another campus has students who only ride it 2x per week, approximately 9.00. I am sure some people are paying more in tuition than they are receiving in rides.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:38 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,176,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Well, look at it this way: If a meter is stolen, it cannot be out there doing its job controlling parking and making revenue for the city. Plus, whatever revenue it contained is taken by some misguided miscreant.

Folks want to applaud this?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,589,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
...Folks want to applaud this?
What better way can people fight back against the tyranny of the city leaders?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,114,757 times
Quote:
Well, look at it this way: If a meter is stolen, it cannot be out there doing its job controlling parking and making revenue for the city. Plus, whatever revenue it contained is taken by some misguided miscreant.

Folks want to applaud this?
In this particular case... you're damn right I do, because they don't generate revenue for the city anymore*, and they don't "control" parking; at least in my neighborhood they have absolutely annihilated parking volume in the business district. Drive down Irving Park Road from the river to the expressway during normal business hours and you'll find about 80-90% of the metered spaces vacant, when a year ago they were filled from end to end. And I doubt the difference is being made up by foot traffic and public transportation traffic. Part of the problem that nobody seems to have talked about is there are now two competing purposes for the meters and what rates they are set at: maintaining parking turnover for local businesses and their patrons without discouraging people from coming altogether, and maximizing revenue for the company that took them over. And if those purposes are at odds with one another, guess which one wins? (Hint: not the local businesses.)

So you better believe it doesn't break my heart to know that a few people got a parking holiday for a couple of days and the bloody thieves running the parking racket missed out on a few bucks. I normally don't care for vandalism or other criminal acts as a means of civil disobedience, but I can make an exception when the city puts the issue out of the hands of the political process for generations to come. I hope every single one of these damned machines gets knocked over again and again and again until CPM throws their hands in the air and says "fk it, it's not worth it" and abandons the lease. Likely scenario? Nope. But one can hold out hope anyway.

*(Unless you mean in the form of tickets, but the fact that the city banks on tickets as a significant form of revenue is deplorable so I won't cry that they lost the opportunity to write tickets for a couple days either.)

Last edited by Drover; 10-13-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,176,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
What better way can people fight back against the tyranny of the city leaders?
Run for office.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:30 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,657,115 times
I'm still dumbfounded by the 2008 decision to sell the meters.

I know realize exactly what that word means, too; some action so dumb has you floundering for words. At last it is clear.

I would love to know what the aldermen hoped to achieve.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:45 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,589,371 times
Quote:
Run for office.
Front me a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago