U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 18,989 times

Advertisements

Hello people. I'm moving to Chicago in a few weeks. I am scrambling to figure out which neighborhood to target. I am in my 30's (married, white) working in the southside of Chicago. Would like to find a 2-bedroom under $1600/month.

West Loop: Which main roads to target? How far west and south to stay away from? I like the industrial turned condos type places. Are there many places to walk to? Or will I basically need to drive or take public trans? Safe to walk for females at evening/night?

South Loop: Same question. How far south is too south? Bad high rises to stay away from? Are there many places to walk to? Or will I basically need to drive or take public trans? Safe to walk for females at evening/night?

Lincoln Park: Seems as if most of the places are pretty outdated/old for my price-range. I like the conveniences as anywhere you walk you can find anything. Is traffic really congested during rush-hour?

Wicker Park/Bucktown: Don't really know much about this area but have been told that it is nice. I also heard to stay away from Humboldt park, true? Which road to stay east of? What type of houses/condos/apartments are there?

Last question: What websites are good for looking at places other than Craigslist and the Reader?

Thanks all. Looking forward to the move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 PM

269 posts, read 659,430 times
Well, I've lived in all of these areas except for South Loop. Also, there is traffic pretty much throughout the city during rush hour.

West Loop: I'd stay east Ashland... it isn't all that great right by Ashland the further south you get in the West Loop, but its not exactly a DMZ out there either. The "stuff to do" in the area is mostly east of Halsted. Loads of great places to eat out there. Probably not too good for kids though.

Lincoln Park: Over priced... filled with overgrown and aged frat boys and sorority girls. I grew tired of it when I turned 24. Also, its where people from the burbs or Iowa tend to flock to when the move here because its seen as being the "safest" area in the city.

Bucktown/Wicker Park: Gets shat upon a lot by people thinking its filled with hipsters and other idiots. Frankly, they (the hipsters) can't really afford to live there anymore for the most part and have moved out. Its mostly "yuppies" and young people with families now. Lots of opportunities to have fun there too. I liked it a lot when I lived there but found a bigger and cheaper place to buy in the West Loop. There are a lot of SFHs and 2/3-flats out there. Stay east of Western to avoid Humboldt.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:50 AM

3,213 posts, read 4,200,943 times
In terms of Southside how far south are you working? If you are working past about 55th street those areas other than south loop might not be good locations. The main roads between north and south side are90/94(Kennedy (heading northwest) Dan Ryan heading north south form the circle interchange)) and lake shore drive. There are many north\south main streets but thoose are the expressway(90\94) and a psudo expressway(lake shore drive)

The areas you listed are nice hip trendy areas but if you are working at say the ford plant on 130th street they would be quite an hassle to drive everyday esp. in traffic.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:35 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,474,680 times
South Loop parameters: most of the residential is north of Cermak/I-55/McCormick Place, and most of the retail/restaurants are north of (or near) Roosevelt Rd. That said, if you're in the southwest part of that area you're very close to Chinatown. There are some deals to be had right now in this area, since it was severely overbuilt during the bubble.

Take a close look at the transit routes: if you play your cards right, you could have a very quick, single-seat transit commute. Congestion on the south side isn't all that bad, and the buses provide pretty good coverage.

I would not recommend commuting through downtown from LP or WP/B.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 AM

269 posts, read 659,430 times
Have realtors made the "south loop" stretch to Bronzeville or something?

Old 10-16-2010, 02:09 PM

88 posts, read 376,961 times
There's not much to do in the South Loop but there are some really nice places to live. There was a lot of over development in the last few years because people were anticipating a real estate boom.

Anyway, I've heard two things as far as "safe areas" for South Loop. I've heard:

"Stay north of Roosevelt" and I've heard "Stay north of 14th."

For reference, Roosevelt would be 12th street (it's between 11th and 13th).

Depending on where you live, you may be able to walk wherever you need to go. There's a Jewel at Roosevelt and Wabash, and a Target a few blocks west of that on Roosevelt. There are redline stops at Roosevelt and Harrison.

But the question is is there anywhere that you want to go in the South Loop? There are a few bars that are decent (they are smallish type bars, not super packed party bars), and a couple restaurants, but it's not a "happening" area. Fortunately, more exciting places are a quick El or cab ride away. People tend to live in the South Loop because a) the buildings are nice or b) they work nearby, but not because it's an awesome exciting party place, like why people would live in Lincoln Park or River North.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:53 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,690,835 times
I'd say stay north of 18th St.

There are several nice taverns in the neighborhood, some good places to eat and few places with live music. Plenty for a "regular guy" but not if you're looking for a manic "youth ghetto" kind of thing.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 PM

542 posts, read 254,922 times
I agree that the South Loop is the most boring neighborhood out of the bunch. There has been a lot of development there, so you may be able to find a deal in terms of rent.

If you're traveling south everyday, the west loop is also convenient since you can easily jump on 90/94 and take it south. There's also great restaurants in the neighborhood (Greek town and Restaurant Row), a Dominick's and Walgreens within walking distance, and a number of bars that you can walk to. It's also an easy bus ride (or walk, if its nice out) to the loop. It's pretty safe for females to walk around at night if you stay on the right streets. (Lake St. and the areas around Fulton seem a little sketchy because of the El tracks and all the industrial warehouses.) Find a place west of Ashland.

I think Wicker Park is a great choice for you. It is not "hipsterville" like it once was. There's a ton of stuff to do and walk to in the neighborhood. It's right off the blue line (great for going to O'hare or the loop), and it has pretty convenient access to 90/94 off of North Ave. and Division. Try to stay west of Western. However, you are on a $1600 budget for a two bedroom, so the more west you go, the more likely you are to find something in your price range.

You might also want to consider the UIC/Tri-Taylor area. Taylor street is very charming, it's convenient to the expressway, and it's not far from the shopping on Roosevelt (Target, Dominick's, Best Buy, Whole Foods, etc.)

Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 AM

440 posts, read 1,390,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarmer2 View Post
Wicker Park/Bucktown: Don't really know much about this area but have been told that it is nice.
Wicker Park is a great place if you are easily impressed by faux-bohemia. I would not generally recommend it to anyone much over 25, and certainly not to anyone married over thirty unless you have visited it and know for a fact that it suits you, because nothing neutral about the place.

People usually find it either awesomely cool or phony as a three dollar bill. What people do agree on is the traffic near the intersection of Damen and North Ave is among the most congested in the entire city. Depending on your point of view, that either adds to its charm, or makes it a place to avoid.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:04 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,309,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
Wicker Park is a great place if you are easily impressed by faux-bohemia. I would not generally recommend it to anyone much over 25, and certainly not to anyone married over thirty unless you have visited it and know for a fact that it suits you, because nothing neutral about the place.

People usually find it either awesomely cool or phony as a three dollar bill. What people do agree on is the traffic near the intersection of Damen and North Ave is among the most congested in the entire city. Depending on your point of view, that either adds to its charm, or makes it a place to avoid.

I would say most of the Wicker Park residents are over 25 and under 35. This includes young families. Rents in Wicker Park have steadily increased, but as of the past year, have stabilized. Damen and North is really congested, but easy highway access is available. It's a lot of wealthier yuppie types and there is a great restaurant and bar scene.

South Loop has brand new buildings and the traffic is not as bad. There are some good sports bars and restaurants, but it's pretty quiet. On a weekend night, most bars won't be packed like in Wicker Park or on the North Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago