Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 06:50 PM

41 posts, read 149,076 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So I was in the intersection of Kimball and Diversey, waiting at the light to make a left. I got there just as the light went from green to yellow. Someone from oncoming traffic gunned it through the yellow and the person behind them ran the red, thus forcing me to turn left on a red light. Anyhow, the camera at the light went off, and I am wondering if i will get a ticket as well since this &*^*&% forced me to make a (rather dangerous) left turn on a red light? (I just moved back to chicago recently and almost never drive my car so i had NO IDEA there were these things on the traffic lights!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 07:07 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Sounds like a personal problem.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:21 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
My recollection is that IL law allows you to still turn on the red light, and this link

Illinois Rules of the Road (http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/rules_of_the_road/rr_chap04.html - broken link)

....confirms that under 'Right-of-Way'.

How you prove that with still photographs from a traffic camera, I don't know. If it only took a picture of you turning on a red light, how can it prove that you entered on a red light, and not on a green?

Maybe the camera wasn't taking a picture of you though. It's possible, for example that the camera took two pictures--one facing the other direction showing the position of those two cars that entered on a yellow and red, and the other showing them passing through the intersection illegally. You could have waited behind the crosswalk lines, which would have given safe clearance for pedestrians, instead of making them walk around you, and instead of making cross traffic wait for you to get out of their way.

Even if the picture taken was of your car, I would imagine those cameras record a lot of things that don't turn into tickets. Surely someone reviews the camera's images and decides what to issue and what to discard.

Best advice for the future, though, is to assume that there is always a traffic camera or patrol car watching. Illinois law allows you to complete a turn after the light has turned red, but it doesn't force (your term) you to enter the intersection when you are unable to complete the turn immediately.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by where_am_i View Post
Hello,

So I was in the intersection of Kimball and Diversey, waiting at the light to make a left. I got there just as the light went from green to yellow. Someone from oncoming traffic gunned it through the yellow and the person behind them ran the red, thus forcing me to turn left on a red light. Anyhow, the camera at the light went off, and I am wondering if i will get a ticket as well since this &*^*&% forced me to make a (rather dangerous) left turn on a red light? (I just moved back to chicago recently and almost never drive my car so i had NO IDEA there were these things on the traffic lights!)
The person running the red is who got nabbed, not you (as long as you were already in the intersection before it turned red).

Old 11-14-2009, 11:20 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
I've read that you will only get a ticket if you enter the intersection after the light turns red. And if any part of your car has entered the intersection before the red light, you're not supposed to trigger the camera.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 11,641 times
Default How to fight them???

I have recently received two tickets. One at Sacramento and Chicago ave. The other at Western and North ave. Both times the light turned yellow as I almost entered the intersection. Then it turned red immediately. I am already struggling financially. So finding these tickets in my mailbox is extremely depressing. I guess from now on I will slam on my brakes so the camera can take the picture with me stopped in the middle of the intersection. I hope I don't cause an accident.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
A Chicago traffic camera is like a female police officer or a short male police officer -- you can argue but it won't do much good because you are getting a ticket. [These are my observations after many years. YRMV.]

Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 PM

289 posts, read 896,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbedwithoutagun View Post
I have recently received two tickets. One at Sacramento and Chicago ave. The other at Western and North ave. Both times the light turned yellow as I almost entered the intersection. Then it turned red immediately. I am already struggling financially. So finding these tickets in my mailbox is extremely depressing. I guess from now on I will slam on my brakes so the camera can take the picture with me stopped in the middle of the intersection. I hope I don't cause an accident.
There was an article in Car & Driver when stoplight cameras first came on the scene. It was documented that the yellow light is shortened by a fraction of a second in order to get more offenders. If the goal was to reduce people from running reds then they shound INCREASE the time of the yellow. They also said rear-end accidents increase at camera intersections because of people braking hard to avoid a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago