Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 AM

87 posts, read 454,713 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about relocating out of south Florida. I love New York but I don't think I can make a living there. I heard Chicago is a lot like New York I have never been to Chicago. I was offer a job making $45,000 a year in New York but you can't make a living there on that. Is Chicago the same? Does Chicago have these ameneties like New York.

I don't want to own a car. (taxi & subway systems)
outdoor street venders
culture
parks
Is the weather the same?

I am a single 37 year old female with a dog is it safe? I always felt safe in New York. How much would a 1 bedroom cost in the city? What are some areas I should maybe look into.
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,140 times
No street food in Chicago. The mayor banned them as there is no way to regulate them health wise.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:04 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden0721 View Post
I am thinking about relocating out of south Florida. I love New York but I don't think I can make a living there. I heard Chicago is a lot like New York I have never been to Chicago. I was offer a job making $45,000 a year in New York but you can't make a living there on that. Is Chicago the same? Does Chicago have these ameneties like New York.

I don't want to own a car. (taxi & subway systems)
outdoor street venders
culture
parks
Is the weather the same?

I am a single 37 year old female with a dog is it safe? I always felt safe in New York. How much would a 1 bedroom cost in the city? What are some areas I should maybe look into.
Thanks for your help.

Im not sure about how much a one bedroom would cost, but with your salary, you shouldnt have a problem finding something within your price range. I was just downtown a week ago and found what I think to be a new apartment complex (therye all over) called 222 Madison or something like that. Im sure that a quick search on Google will net you hundreds of places. Where will you be working? In the Loop? As for not owning a car, Chicago is the place for that. Everything you can dream of is in downtown and pretty much withing walking distance. Taxis, buses, the El, subs are all available at pretty much any time as well as trains to the suburbs. Be aware that winter CAN get rather harsh at times, so plan ahead for transportation in the winter. Crime is slightly worse in Chicago, but downtown remains pretty safe, probably a bit more so than NYC, but its the surrounding neighborhoods that have real bad crime, sadly. Parks? Chicago has its fair share, but none are as grand as NYC's Central Park. We have Millenium Park and Lincoln Park, both of which are very nice. There are several other parks as well that you can check, but those two are the largest downtown parks. Culture here is every bit as strong as NYCs, Im sure youll enjoy all there is to be had. Weather is similar, but we are colder in the winter, but probably with less snowfall. Summers are comparable, mostly pleasant with a few weeks of brutal humidity. Summer nights are great, particularly near the lake with the breeze and slightly cooler temps. Winters can be frigid with negative temps, but those spells are short lived and average temps range from 25-40 degrees, sometimes warmer. Weve been in the mid 50s this month, followed by 30s and this week 20s. Theres an old saying in Chicagoland area: if you dont like the weather, just wait 10 minutes! As for suburbs, Chicago's are much better than NYCs IMO. Check out Oak Park, Elmhurst, Northbrook, Winnetka, Naperville, Wheaton, St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, Warrenville, Bartlett, Barrington(s), Wasco, Bloomingdale, etc. Im sure you can find just about anything on earth you can dream of (spare mountains). Dowtowns are comparable to one another, NYCs is larger and a tad bit better, but Chicagos is the 2nd best in the nation, Im sure youll love it and our beautiful lakefront, cuisine, skyline, festivals, museums, etc.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:55 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post
No street food in Chicago. The mayor banned them as there is no way to regulate them health wise.
Weird, I thought those were still allowed in Chicago(being a native Chicagoian myself). Alas, I guess it goes to show how little I ever thought about those food vendors, lol(though OTOH, I don't miss the litter that those food vendors caused).

(and not to mention now I see why I haven't seen them in parks for several years...)

Old 01-17-2007, 07:58 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I see hotdog vendors in the park on occasion. And some neighborhoods have their 'tamale guy' (whose tamales I eat often) and other pushcart vendors. It is mainly downtown that there are not the food carts.

I love the street food in new york, whenever I go there, that seems like what I mainly subsist on. If I had my way, they'd be back. This is one of the many issues where I think Daley is off his rocker. How often do you hear of new yorkers en masse falling ill from street food? I've eaten off the street in nyc on 10+ occasions and never had a single problem either.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 25,496 times
Long time Chicagoian and her Mother have not seen vendors in the Loop area for many years. Used to pick up a coffee from a vendor on Washington street in the late 80's - but not for many years.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
New york is overrated. Chicago has everything you need without all the publicity and celebs and media attention.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Plus Chicago comes with a 40% cost-of-housing discount over NYC.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 21,476 times
I recently moved from NYC to Chicago and I tell all my friends who still live in NY to move here because it is better in every way possible.

(1) I can afford a one bedroom lake front apartment overlooking the water and montrose harbor for myself with the same amount of money I paid for 400 sq feet apartment with a roommate in the west village NYC (with a cat).
(2) I can afford to go out 4 nights a week at trendy restaurants and bars just as fun and delicious as the ones found in nyc - try wicker park/bucktown.
(3) Winter is harder but NYC is cold too and you can't do anything anyways.
(4) Summer time is filled with FREE outdoor concerts, the lake, BBQ at people's backyard (you will not find that in Manhattan unless your friends are millionaires), and boats!
(5) You can walk out of your door and be at the beach in minutes. Try North Ave beach
(6) North Ave beach is comparable to Miami in the summer.
(7) People are open and friendly, people in NY are not so much. I used to be one of them.

Earning 45 grand a year will only get you a one bedroom apartment with 2 roomies and credit card debt in NYC.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:25 AM

8 posts, read 41,989 times
Hey Alice831: In your opinion are Chicago and New York similar for snowfall around Christmas? I'm considering a move from San Francisco specifically to experience the four seasons....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago