Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
Stop right there.

That neighborhood is called "Heart of Chicago", and is nowhere near Blue Island and 15th, where this person is considering buying a condo.

Pilsen, (which is the area East of Ashland), has a few bad spots, but to say that it has one of the worst gang problems in Chicago is an exaggeration.

Among Hispanic neighborhoods, South Lawndale, Back of the Yards, and Humboldt Park all have significantly worse gang problems, and Heart of Chicago, Brighton Park, Avondale and Logan Square have gang problems that are arguably worse.

That is just among the Hispanic neighborhoods. Add in the black neighborhoods, not only is Pilsen not in the top ten, it is doubtful that it cracks the top twenty.

Which, I should point out, is not the same thing as saying gang problems do not exist in Pilsen. They do exist, but not to anywhere near the degree you are saying, and are for the most part confined to specific areas and street corners, which should be (and are easily) avoided.

I said gang problems, not violence. They don't go hand in hand. Pilsen has a dozen gangs that claim turf in the neighborhood. While 15th and Blue Island may not be "Pilsen" as defined by the city, it is close enough and within where "Pilsen" gangs claim.

Little Village and Back of the Yards are clearly more dangerous in terms of violent crime. Humboldt Park is questionable. Pilsen is more dangerous than Logan Square and Avondale.

There have been several newspaper reports on Pilsen gangs. A dozen gangs have turf there. It is also of note that Pilsen is NOT an impoverished community. It is middle class. Just because it is middle class does not mean it does not have a gang problem. So a lot of gang members work for a living. They still are gang members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 28,640 times
Thanks for all the responses all are very informative. And yes the view from the condo I eagerly wants is affordable and has a terrific view. Not to worried about the car break-ins because parking is included in the deal. Will be attending UIC in the Spring and so that's another incentive for me in my book for being so close to the school. Yes IrishTom29 the market is still tanking but if wasn't I wouldn't be able to afford this condo. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in the near future 5-10 years from now I can say I made a wise decision.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:34 PM

6 posts, read 28,640 times
Do any of you know anyone that lived or is currently living in the building @1550 S Blue Island Ave?

Old 10-24-2010, 08:02 PM

172 posts, read 485,739 times
I was thinking of renting a unit in there about a year ago. I drove up to the place to scope out the neighborhood; parked in that open lot just off of blue island and walked around.... As nice as the unit itself looked, the neighborhood just didn't feel right to me. Kinda deserted, graffiti, a lowrider full of kids drove by eying me and I asked myself: "Would I feel comfortable walking and biking around here at night?" The answer was obviously no and I passed on this one and eventually got a unit at the same price in a Lincoln Park high-rise that had just as nice of a view and was in a much nicer area that I feel comfortable walking around in (plus there are gorgeous women walking around everywhere around here whereas the blue island rd. location was, as stated earlier, deserted and kinda creepy). Also the earlier post that said most of the building was empty would be a red-flag for me as well.... A deserted building in a seemingly deserted neighborhood? I'd pass on it (and I did) although the units themselves are very nice!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,436 times
So ... I am wondering if you went through with your purchase i am in the same predicament..?

Old 01-14-2012, 02:10 PM

73 posts, read 326,026 times
I know someone who lives there. He has a great southview and sees awesome storms come in, he can see the fireworks at us cellular field and anything that happens in that neighborhood below does not affect your living. Try to get a parking space inside though. Dont recommend leaving a car on the street. The trains below on those two bridges may be annoying to some. usually they dont beep in that spot. Metra will be running through every 5 mins during the rush but there is no stop there and freight does a lot of sitting in this spot waiting for clearance to another route that is controlled by amtrak. hope this helps. I think you cant go wrong. I think the place also has a guard but im too sure. If they dont, they used to for sure.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,252 times
status of the neighborhood now.....updates?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,252 times
may I ask what the predicament was with the purchase?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago